cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do buyers ask what the shipping is, shouldn't the listing tell them?

I had a guy from out of the country asking if I would ship to his country, which was Argentina. I checked and it wasn't one of the ones the international program banned. Then he replies back what the shipping would be, and I'm like doesn't the listing tell you? I was just confused why he was asking me when the listing should tell him right? It's a moot point now in his case cause someone else bought it and I don't have any more of that item. I've never seen a listing on here that said contact seller for shipping costs so why do people ask this? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Perhaps he was referring to the VAT or customs fee or something like that.  He could have known there would be additional charges, perhaps from previous experience, but didn't know what to call them.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It costs a LOT more to ship from the U.S. than to it. I think the international buyers are just double-checking those high rates hoping for an error in the listing. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Do you have your items set up for international sales?  If not, they may be asking because it actually doesn't show them the price....  Silly question I know, but many don't realize they have to select the option in the listing to sell internationally.  Also, if you are using eBay's international shipping option "Global Shipping Program" - there may be import fees <or other fees> that they need to pay on top of what is actually shown for the shipping fees, and the buyer might be asking you if you know what those additional fees will be (which you won't know, but often buyers don't know that you don't know!).  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes the items were setup for international sale through eBay's program. But I would also think that a buyer wouldn't be able to see an item on the app/site if they were not able to buy it. I know there are other fees an international buyer has to pay but like you said I have no idea what they would be. I was just confused overall about why buyers ask that when the listing should tell them what the shipping is. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply