cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't cost be calculated on a Flat Rate box?

When I want to choose a USPS Flat Rate Box of a specific size (for example- Small), as a shipping option, eBay comes back with "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code."

Why can't eBay calculate the shipping cost on a Flat Rate box?

I want to offer the buyer eBay's discounted rate for a Flat Rate box. What is it?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

eBay's wacky programmers have recently introduced a completely unnecessary hoop to jump through for sellers who want to use Priority Mail flat rate packaging: Sellers must enter specific package dimensions which correspond to the dimensions of the flat rate package. This is what member @wastingtime101 wrote about the situation:

eBay made an unannounced change related to setting up listings with certain types of packaging. When package dimensions entered exceed eBay's programmed dimensions, eBay will not show you those shipping options when setting up your listing.

To access these services, enter the following package dimensions:

USPS Flat Rate Envelopes: 12x9x1
USPS Small Flat Rate Box: 8x5x1
USPS Med Flat Rate Box: 14x12x3
USPS Large Flat Rate Box: 12x12x6
eBay Standard Envelope: 11x6x0.25

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Can you be more specific about where you're seeing this error message @kcolsen ?

On the listing form?

On the stand alone eBay shipping calculator? https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Did you check to make sure you have a zip code entered?

Your current DVD listings offer a choice of padded flat rate envelope or local pickup. Are you aware you can ship DVDs with media mail? Or ground advantage? Both are far less costly than priority flat rate on a DVD.

Secondly, by offering local pickup you are going to run into a problem where buyers choose it thinking it means free shipping, not free local pickup. Happens all the time. Most people are not going to pick up a common $2 DVD. You'd be better off removing local pickup option to avoid cancelled sales and adding it only if buyers request it.

You're listing with auction format for $1.99. These are common items with a set market value. Most buyers will not want to wait a week for an auction to end to see if they win when they can just "buy it now" from dozens of other sellers for the same price. Fixed price listings are better for the product you're selling.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I would say there is a hint in the name..

Just 1x1x1 for size and then the whole list of flat rate should show up..

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the way I read it is the SFRB service is showing up, but it's spitting out an error message about zip code when the seller selects the service.

Therefore, dimensions may not be a factor. Could be, but no way to know unless the seller comes back with more info.

This is not the same problem we often see where the seller cannot find the service in the list of options because their dimensions exceed eBay's programming. That doesn't mean this different problem can't be solved by adjusting dimensions. Hopefully @kcolsen will come back when they have a chance.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Ah, you have identified one of quirks to beat the eBay program. A USPS flat rate small is: 8 ⅝” x 5 ⅜” x 1 ⅝”. To get eBay to quote the flat rate, you must enter 8x5x1, even though both the size and the cost of a flat rate box is fixed.

Confusingly, to calculate postage on USPS site based on size, you must round up 1/2 fractions to next whole inch, otherwise you round down. But if you do that to fool eBay into quoting a USPS flat rate box, eBay chokes. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for coming back with an update.

Hey kyle@ebay : seller received an error message, "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code."

The real problem is the entered box dim exceeded what eBay set as a restriction on the priority small flat rate box.

Can you escalate FB to the shipping team about this misleading error message? If the problem is size or weight, the error message should not say the problem is an invalid zip code.

Thanks in advance.

GLORIOUS!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The error occurred in the shipping box on the form for creating the listing. Yes, I entered a zip code at the tool's insistence, even though a zip code is irrelevant on a flat rate box.

I usually offer pickup to provide locals that cost, and time, saving option. Maybe 5% choose it. Not sure what to do about the confusion of shipping with pickup. Perhaps eBay would be in the best position to help clarify that for buyers.

Thank you for the DVD selling suggestions. I will give them a try.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@kcolsen wrote:

Not sure what to do about the confusion of shipping with pickup. Perhaps eBay would be in the best position to help clarify that for buyers.

I agree. We've escalated FB numerous times to eBay that if buyer chooses pickup, there needs to be a popup window or a mandatory check box on the checkout page that says the buyer understands they need to arrange pickup, the item will not be shipped by the seller. No luck yet with eBay actually making the change.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Thanks for coming back with an update.

Hey kyle@ebay : seller received an error message, "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code."

The real problem is the entered box dim exceeded what eBay set as a restriction on the priority small flat rate box.

Can you escalate FB to the shipping team about this misleading error message? If the problem is size or weight, the error message should not say the problem is an invalid zip code.

Thanks in advance.

Hey @wastingtime101 that is a great callout.  I have passed this over to our shipping team for review.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Dimensions are a factor, but in an unexpected way. @anjofak  identified one hack that works: enter 1x1x1.

It is unfortunate hacks are required to retrieve an answer from a simple database lookup task. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

That's one way to get there, for sure.

Caveat, if you enter USPS official dimensions for a Priority Mail Small Flat Rate, eBay won't show it as an option because eBay round fractions differently than USPS does. USPS publishes its rounding rules, a resource apparently not considered in eBay's shipping program.  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply