cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Ebay reps telling buyers to lie and file INADs on Ebay and Paypal?

This is the transcript between a buyer and an Ebay csr. The seller is no-returns and the buyer tried to open a return because the coat didn't fit. Ebay gave the seller the choice to deny and she did. Then the buyer messaged Ebay and wanted to know what she could do. The rep told her since she couldn't open an INAD on Ebay (because she had chosen the CORRECT option- does not fit) that she needed to go to Paypal and open an INAD over there! Seriously Ebay? Why can't you stand by your sellers?  (The long screenshot is the first one and the short one is what is under the black box in middle of the long one. For some reason, it put the group's banner in middle of the screenshot). It's starts with "So this is a chat...." and then when you get to the black box, go back up to Thomas telling the buyer that it's an odd situation and to give him a minute.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@brooksline The information provided in that chat is not in line with our current policies. It is not within our guidelines to have customer service direct members to open PayPal disputes or to provide inaccurate information when opening a return. We take situations like this seriously and appropriate action has been taken to prevent this going forward. 

Brian,
Community Team

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Wow. Speachless. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

My approach

" Honesty is still the best policy " 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I know, right! And down at the very bottom of the transcript you could see where Thomas told the buyer that if he had a way to override it, he would 😒 And he tells the buyer to open the claim in Paypal as INAD.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Wow, ebay encouraging and facilitating fraud. I would say "unbelievable" but it really is more "believable".

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Wow is right. This is just plain Ebay acting in bad faith to directly circumvent their own policies at the sellers expense. Disgraceful!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

If the buyer continues to say that the item didn't fit in the PayPal claim when they file SNAD, PayPal can deny the claim because "don't fit" is not considered SNAD.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

SMDH if that ain't  a crock of bullchit,,,,,,,,,, way to go eBay.

They could have said  sorry, the seller doesn't have to accept returns for buyer's remorse and left it at that. They could've suggested to the buyer to resell it on eBay since there's nothing wrong with it instead of sending them to PayPal and have them LIE about the reason for the return. WOW, I'm speechless.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Exactly! Especially since the buyer admits to being a seller also. "People return on me even though I say no returns :)"

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

brian@ebay ping....     wow, just wow.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

It's been a while since I had a buyer try to get refunded through PayPal after being denied on eBay, but I believe PayPal can still look at the eBay return and any messages exchanged between you and the buyer. You have to call them and explain the situation though. They don't do anything on their own.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@brooksline The information provided in that chat is not in line with our current policies. It is not within our guidelines to have customer service direct members to open PayPal disputes or to provide inaccurate information when opening a return. We take situations like this seriously and appropriate action has been taken to prevent this going forward. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

What a great suggestion from the rep to land this buyer on every seller's BBL list. He's basically leading the buyer to eventually get banned from MBG.

Is it just me or does the tone from the CS rep sound odd? I've live chatted with ebay a number of times and they've never sounded like this "Thomas". I doubt there's a concierge live chat service that I get connected to is there? To me, this guy sounds a bit under-trained. I've never seen an ebay rep type the word "Yeah" to me. His entire tone and words he uses is like it's them (rep and buyer) against the seller and a bit non-professional. One thing he forgot to tell the buyer though is that even if they file a SNAD return in Paypal, Paypal make the buyer responsible for the return shipping postage. Chalk that up to the rep's lack of training.

This buyer should have been concerned when Thomas told him the loophole. Because the buyer admitted to being a seller too. So he should have been concerned is Thomas was telling every buyer this which will eventually come full circle to one of his own buyers. "People return on me even though I say no returns :)"... it's possible Thomas was the one who caused this issue in the first place.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I hope you did, I guess ill see as I continue to scroll down this post a bit further to see if "ebay" actually followed up and made this right "unlike a lot of what I'm seeing". Because I a new seller "was this close by a day to put my business in your hands and pay for the extra features. Yall are completely turning me off and my 5000+ items.. Seems to be a lot of valid accusations in here. I can only hope that once you guys have YOUR  New payment brainchild you make some serious changes "especially in the return policy as it REALLY screws drop shippers....... "Oh and as a long time buyer who grew up watching their mom putting food on our table selling second-hand equestrian equipment on eBay in the 1990's "while working 3 jobs to keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies and clothes on our backs as kids with absent fathers, She enjoyed working with eBay all the way into late 2000's probably when the eBay Money Back came about?

She too was burnt over in policy changes and like this person received a red carpet rollout gangbang  by EBAY AND it's **bleep** child PAYPAL just as this person had been. She was ALWAYS a very highly rated seller who kept a full store with a lot of repeat buyers.....

I had fond memories of ebay as a company that put food on our table when we desperately needed it. Giving my mom just enough of a break here and there to be with us kids.

I myself have been buying here for 15years or so myself now? Seeing reviews LIKE THIS WITH PROOF all over eBay and its **bleep** child Paypal has me TERRIFIED that I almost submitted my store today..... And I am a dropshipper, where MOST of our suppliers hold us to a 14day return policy on the day of arrival to the customer, which requires us to communicate back to the supplier to receive the RMA to then relay to the customers which take about 3days just to get that rma to the customer for return may take 3 in itself. Amongst other details, I won't get into. But the "14days to report to the seller that you don't want something, is like eating half the steak all of the sides and then expecting to not pay for it because it all tastes bad" Its pretty universal, you get a package in the mail, "ESPECIALLY if you wanted it bad enough to order in the first place you open it that day".... And come to find out its damaged "missing pieces/broken" THERES ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to keep it for 14 days before deciding to report that is damaged and isn't going to work for you. If it's broken it's BROKEN, contact us immediately, or heck give it 3 days because like in jewelry even imitation stuff that people DO LIKE  if a stone falls out of your ring in 3 days then yah CLEARLY its defective. I believe if it was changed to 3 days on arrival you would drastically WEED out abusive customers. I know myself and I've had to send a lotta damaged stuff back particularly jewelry, and I did it if not that night but the next day. There's NO reason to extend these things out further, your just opening your merchants up for FURTHER abuse.     And though I intend not to sell here because I don't trust eBay anymore, I also won't be buying either after all that I have learned in how you guys are treating your sellers.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Did they follow through and fix this? 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply