cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I Being Forced Into international shipping? Is This Democracy ?

Why am I Being Forced Into international shipping? Is This a Democracy ?

Shouldn’t the seller living in the US have the freedom and right to say no internation shipping ?.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@hopymax wrote:

Why am I Being Forced Into international shipping? Is This a Democracy ?

Shouldn’t the seller living in the US have the freedom and right to say no internation shipping ?.

Yes this IS a Democracy and you get to vote with your keyboard.

NOBODY is FORCING you into international shipping. eBay is simply making it AVAILABLE to those who want it and those who do not can OPT OUT. There, that wasn't so hard was it?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I think EIS is for packages only? Is it for standard envelopes also? 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

To be fair, the email I received made it sound as if once enrolled, you had to sell internationally.  A simple statement to the effect of "if you wish to sell internationally, our new international shipping program will make it much easier", would have clarified the issue, at least for me.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

eBay is not a democracy,

eBay is a corporation.

If you want a voting right in the eBay corporation, you will need to purchase a few shares of its stock.  

eBay sellers are allowed to choose which countries they want to ship to and which they will never want to ship to.  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I agree i dont like being forced into this program and have ended all my ebay sales. There are other platforms to sell on. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

You really think "God's Chosen" on the eBay corporate board care about naïve concepts like democracy? These are the same people who claim to be mere middlemen yet intrude in sales to promote woke nanny-state oversight (God forbid you sell material culture from wartime German), and if you dissent in matters that touch on their interpretation of e-commerce their security will send harassment hit-teams to your house (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/sep/29/ebay-executive-sentenced-couple-harassment-newsle...). No Virginia, there is no Santa Claus and eBay is more akin to an authoritarian regime ruled by a politburo of Sadducees with a hard-on for trade with Communist China.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

eBay is not forcing you to SELL internationally.
If you are selling internationally, eBay wants you to ship using eBay's international shipping service.

At the bottom of the email message that eBay sent you, it states: "If you would prefer to maintain other shipping options on those listings, please let us know by completing this form by June 16, 2023."

Click on the blue "form" link and fill it out. All the form wants is your Name, eBay name and email address. Not much of a "form" but supposedly that opts you out of eBay international shipping. I did that as soon as I got the email from eBay.

I tried eBay international shipping once. I had a $100 sale to Australia. The buyer paid the USPS shipping to Australia. I used the buyers payment to purchase eBay's international shipping. The mailing label was addressed to one of eBay's distribution centers. Fine, or so I thought.

A month later, eBay billed me $155 for ebay international shipping!

My loss on that sale? $155!

Never again eBay.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

YOu should not have done that.Frankly, I wish 100% of my sales were to buyers in this new program.  Once you get your money,  it's yours.  ALL refunds are handled by ebay.  If the item is late and buyer is missed , ebay will remove ALL negatives.  The international fee is not charged.   You get to keep your money NO matter what happens to the item.  Your responsibility is to get it to Illinois.     This is a great program.   

I get it that ebay that it does not seem right when a program is forced on a seller.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Unless an international buyer registers a sockpuppet eBay account with a 3rd party domestic shipper as their address, in which case said sockpuppet can commit ALL KINDS of fraud against sellers, and face zero consequences for it, and have eBay side firmly with them under all circumstances. Ergo, we are ALL already being forced into international shipping, regardless of our policies and settings.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

One of the many problems with the old Global Shipping Program is that some sellers who weren't keeping up to speed with the user agreement updates discovered that they were auto-enrolled in the program months after it happened.

The way eBay is doing it now with the new eBay International Shipping at least makes sellers aware of what's going on, and it is pretty straightforward to opt out if they don't want to participate.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@mechanic1342 wrote:

A month later, eBay billed me $155 for ebay international shipping!

Tell us more.  Why were you charged $155 by eBay?  Was this for the soon-to-be mothballed "eBay International Standard Delivery" or for the newer "eBay International Shipping " service, which is what is being discussed here?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

No, this is NOT a Democracy. This is a constitutional republic with a democratic process, hence your freedoms. I think what you were attempting to suggest is that we live in a free country, so why are you being forced into international shipping. Well, you're not. You can go to your account page, click on shipping options, and opt out. Voila. Now you understand that you do have the freedom to choose and that's because you live in a constitutional republic. A democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding on what's for dinner. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@hopymax 

"Why am I Being Forced Into international shipping? Is This a Democracy ?"

No, this is not a democracy:  American corporations are operated as private kingdoms, and often as dictatorships.

"Democracy," as it is commonly defined, is antithetical to the day-to-day operations of private business -- since the government does not own private corporations.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

The same just happened to me. I do not like it. Scammers, identity thieves can be anywhere, but international is a big red flag. I hope sellers do not use their real names and physical addresses on the package labels

Message 15 of 16
latest reply