cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Pricing Costs More To Ship For the Buyer

I just don't get ebay. I have three herbal supplements in my cart right now to buy from the same seller totaling six ounces plus a few more ounces for the packaging. I don't want to buy a lot because I want to try them first. 

The shopping cart total for shipping three two ounce packages (combined) is $9.00 for 6-7 ounces. That's first class shipping which is under $4 to actually ship.

I can't click the button that says "Request Total' or a box pops up saying "You can't request a total because the seller has already offered a discount for these items." I don't want the discount offer of 10%-15% off if I buy more. So I get no discount and I have to pay more than twice as much to ship.

This seems to be what happens to the buyer when the seller chooses volume pricing.

Last time I will use volume pricing when selling. Unless I'm missing something, it certainly is not volume shipping.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I hope you are aware that the volume of what's in a container doesn't necessarily reflect it's actual shipping weight with packaging.  In addition,  the cost of postage on eBay is subject to fees charged.  Therefore, as an example if the cost of postage for an 8 oz.  USPS First Class package is $3.85  you would need to add 12.35%  for MP sellers and 12.9% for PayPal sellers.  This is the amount that  is deducted  from our shipping charge in order to break even.   If the package weight exceeds 8 oz then it moves up to the next postage pricing tier.  You should also realize that sellers need to add the cost of their shipping materials somewhere whether to the item price or as a handling charge.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Then the shopping cart should read "Shipping & Handling Costs To (zip code)" instead of Shipping Costs To (zip code)".

And at the same rate a seller is charged by ebay to use it's shipping system, it also gets a discount that amounts to about the same.

So the three items cost $3.85 to ship. That's more than twice as much as $9 that I would have to pay!

If the seller sells to three different buyers the same item, then each buyer pays the seller the same amount as I have to pay combined times 3- and with less packaging as well.

Besides

Reduce

Reuse

&

Recycle

I often use the same clean, neat packaging that something was sent to me in.

Why be wasteful?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Each herbal supplement is two ounces, not a lot of packing is needed, less than what three separate orders each would require.  Combined is just 7 ounces and 8 ounces at the very most.

Money should be saved for the buyer when combined shipping is made. Not extra money for the seller when combined shipping is made. Which would happen here if I buy. It would not cost the seller more money to combine.

I would not even mention it if the cost to ship was under $6. And like I said, I was not able to ask seller to combine only because seller was offering a deal that I was not able take because I was buying less. Buy less and pay more to seller made this a bad deal.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

You could always message the seller and ask if there would be a shipping discount if you bought 3 pkgs of "X"

...Doesn't hurt to ask...

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Actually sellers aren't required to pass on shipping discounts or show their  handling cost.   When using calculated shipping sellers can add a line handling charge.  Even those who use flat rates can add extra to cover handling.    It's all inclusive in their shipping charge. They may offer combined shipping in the listing for multiple items.  If they don't you would have to inquire before purchasing.   Generally when offers are sent they are only for the item, not the shipping.   If their shipping charge to you is $9.00 they still have to deduct the 12.9% fees charged between eBay/PayPal.  That means their shipping and handling costs come from the net of $7.83.  Nor does that  include the Final Value Fees or transaction fees on the items that they pay either, which is also 12.9% + $0.30.

Sellers in Managed payments are paying fees of 12.35%+ $0.30  with taxes included in their transaction total. 

Typically many retailers will offer discounted shipping when the item total reaches a minimum amount.    With low cost items it isn't worth it.  That minimum is variable among retailers.  There is a product my daughter purchases on a regular basis that weighs 2 oz.  Minimum shipping charge is $6.95.  She would only get free shipping by spending $100 or more since they tend to offer 50% discount on her items.

If you check performance numbers you'll find that the average seller's selling costs range from 35-40%.  That does not include cost of shipping supplies.  What is fortunate is that these shipping charges are shown to the buyer before they purchase.  You just have to decide whether you want to pay them as it's unfair to the seller to leave negative feedback afterwards for the shipping charges when you willingly paid them. There's always the back/cancel button.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

No, I would never leave negative feedback for something like that-know before you buy. I did inquire about shipping, no response. Oh well.

Shipping just seemed a bit too high. But there are a lot of fees like lightlily_arts said. Hard enough to make a buck on ebay.

And there's really no such thing as "Free Shipping" on ebay anyway. It's just squeezed in there as part of the price.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I sold 3 items with volume pricing and my shipping killed me. I paid extra because Ebay charged the buyer a couple dollars more. The items do not weigh a lot but they are large. So Ebay charged them for triple the weight but not triple the size. It's so frustrating because I already pay fees and cost of product, now I am being stuck with more than the fair share of shipping fees. No more volume pricing for me. I rather have a buyer contact me and ask for a discount. I would jump on that request and accept if it meant neither one of us is getting screwed. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I didn't realize that; thanks for letting me know. Seems to be a bad idea from every way of looking at it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Hindsight being what it is, the lesson learned is that if you know 2 or more us going to be an oversized box then DO NOT offer volume pricing. Plan ahead.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

This may be helpful.
https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/Index

Shipping rates can change on a centimeter or a gram (I'm Canadian and more familiar with metric than Imperial, but you get the picture.)

Also the Seller chooses which services she will offer. If she chooses Priority instead of First Class, you can ask BEFORE buying, if that would be possible, but by purchasing you are agreeing to her shipping choice.

Her choice is based on her own needs for security and speed.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply