cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS "Return to Sender Processed". What to do?

This one says "Return to Sender Processed". I just realized that I forgot add the second line to the receiver's address.

I called the local post office just now and the cleak says it's too late (two days passed) to add anything and it's going to go back to me.

Is there any other way to stop the return and have it ship to the correct address? The buyer is kinda on a rush to receive the itema and this is the last unit I have. 

Below is the tracking details:

Return to Sender Processed

WILMINGTON, DE 19801 

January 5, 2023, 2:27 pm

Insufficient Address

WILMINGTON, DE 19801 

January 5, 2023, 10:20 am

Delivered to Agent for Final Delivery

WILMINGTON, DE 19801 

January 5, 2023, 10:14 am

Out for Delivery

WILMINGTON, DE 19801 

January 5, 2023, 8:12 am

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, the package has already left the buyer's PO and is on its way back to you so there's nothing you can do except wait for the package to come back to you then either refund the buyer or pay to re-ship it with the correct address.

If the package was going to a freight forwarder in DE and you left off the client's reference number then I would not re-ship. I would instead refund then the buyer can re-purchase if they still want it so you'd have a fresh transaction with a new estimated delivery date and new tracking.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

While you can pay to have the item intercepted, I don't think that will allow for address correction for redelivery, as it is meant for getting it returned to you also.  Still may be worth calling USPS and asking.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Unfortunately, the package has already left the buyer's PO and is on its way back to you so there's nothing you can do except wait for the package to come back to you then either refund the buyer or pay to re-ship it with the correct address.

If the package was going to a freight forwarder in DE and you left off the client's reference number then I would not re-ship. I would instead refund then the buyer can re-purchase if they still want it so you'd have a fresh transaction with a new estimated delivery date and new tracking.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You are spot on. It's a freight forwarder in DE. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Are you also aware of the relatively new USPS "Return To Sender" fee, that just began early in 2022?

The new "Return to Sender" fee equals the amount of postage that the package had originally carried.  So a package that originally had been shipped at $3.49 will be returned to the original shipper with $3.49 being owed by the shipper for the return.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Has this started yet? Do you have a reference for it? I could not find anything when I looked.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I'm not aware of changes to fees on returned packages. It should be the same as it's been for quite a while:

There is no charge on First Class or Priority Mail packages marked RTS.

There is a charge for return postage on Media Mail and Parcel Select/Retail Ground to retrieve the package from the PO.

There is a fee to intercept a package.

None of that changed in Jan 2022 @1786davycrockett.

GLORIOUS!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

Sorry -- the new rule ONLY covers "return to sender" on USPS Media packages.  The rule change went into effect in September 2020, and NOT in 2022, as I had believed.

My apologies for any confusion.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Got it. Thanks for coming back to clarify. I wondered if I had missed something with the USPS updates.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Do you know if returned to sender gets any type of scan?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The one I had recently did not have a scan.  I am the seller.

Tracking just said  - addressee unknown, return to sender processed.  Nothing indicating that it was delivered.  In my case, the buyer did not provide a valid address.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

How long did it take to get back to you once it said return to sender processed?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply