cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS making me pay more for postage when receiving an item

I paid $5 for shipping and the seller only put a 60 cent postage stamp on the package. USPS is requesting i pay $4.72 to get the package. What should i do in this situation?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@cheddarsportscards 

Do NOT pay the balance that USPS is requesting -- that is the seller's responsibility.  But take a picture of the package, including any USPS markings indicating "Postage Due" or "Insufficient Postage."

Contact the seller to let the seller know that the item is sitting at the post office with postage due of $4.72 (send the seller a photo of the package), and that you will be refusing delivery, unless the seller sends you the additional funds.  Let the seller know that you will be refusing the item, and that the post office will be sending it back to the seller with postage due, unless the seller sends you the remaining balance.

But -- If the seller sends you the additional funds, go ahead & pay the postage due & pick up the item.

However -- if the seller refuses to pay, have the post office return the item to the seller, and let the seller eat the postage due at their post office.

Then open an "item not received" case against the seller, and (in the gray box marked "Give us more info") describe that the seller had sent you an item with insufficient postage, after you had paid $5.00 for shipping.  If there is room for your photo, include that as well.

And it's up to you whether you give the seller a neutral or a big red doughnut.

Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@cheddarsportscards 

Do NOT pay the balance that USPS is requesting -- that is the seller's responsibility.  But take a picture of the package, including any USPS markings indicating "Postage Due" or "Insufficient Postage."

Contact the seller to let the seller know that the item is sitting at the post office with postage due of $4.72 (send the seller a photo of the package), and that you will be refusing delivery, unless the seller sends you the additional funds.  Let the seller know that you will be refusing the item, and that the post office will be sending it back to the seller with postage due, unless the seller sends you the remaining balance.

But -- If the seller sends you the additional funds, go ahead & pay the postage due & pick up the item.

However -- if the seller refuses to pay, have the post office return the item to the seller, and let the seller eat the postage due at their post office.

Then open an "item not received" case against the seller, and (in the gray box marked "Give us more info") describe that the seller had sent you an item with insufficient postage, after you had paid $5.00 for shipping.  If there is room for your photo, include that as well.

And it's up to you whether you give the seller a neutral or a big red doughnut.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Refusing delivery may void the MBG, so that INR claim may be denied. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@heckofagame 

The buyer would still be covered  if the seller didn't put sufficient postage on an item. 
IMG_1383.jpeg

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@ebooksdiva 

Thank you! Look at me accusing others of not reading policies and then doing the same...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

It happens. No worries. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

Refusing delivery may void the MBG, so that INR claim may be denied. 

Postage due is a reason you can refuse a package and still be covered by the MBG.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 7
latest reply