cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS keeps not scanning packages as delivered and customers are saying they are not getting the item

This is a huge issue. How can I get passed this problem. This is causing me to loose so much money. I have at least 15 packages in the past month that say shipped and In transit to the next facility but they for sure were delivered. Out of those 15 packages at least 5 have given me positive feedback saying they received. Now I haf so far 1 person ask for his money back which sucks big time. Free money and items are a big problem and ebay will never side with the buyer. How do us sellers handle this situations. I already placed missing mail with usps that's not going to do anything if the customer already has the item. Sure most people will be honest and not report and be shady but I have people that are doing this. I can't afford to keep loosing money like this.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

USPS keeps not scanning packages as delivered and customers are saying they are not getting the item

By any chance are you talking about trading cards shipped with ebay's standard envelope shipping?

If so that's just the way it works: they don't always get a delivery scan so get used to that.

If the buyer says they didn't receive just follow the procedure and file a claim on the free insurance that's included:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If you're talking about eBay Standard Envelope tracking, well.....you get what you pay for.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

As stated, if you are using eBay Standard Letter, there is insurance and a procedure for claiming it.  You have to wait 30 days before you can file, so you'll have to refund the customer long before you file the insurance claim.  eBay Standard Letter is a special service provided by USPS to eBay.  I'm pretty sure USPS is not backing the insurance payouts - that's coming direct from eBay.  So the only way to get better tracking is to hold eBay accountable for EVERY Standard Letter package that is not marked Delivered.  If the cost, to eBay, for the service rises due to USPS not confirming delivery (however they do that if not via scanning), you can be sure eBay will put pressure on USPS to either improve their confirmation process or improve their confirmation process.  Which could be as simple as scanning at delivery.

File for these losses.  eBay has stated that they have a working group that interfaces with USPS to determine areas of the country with 'issues'.  If sellers don't report these issues, eBay will never know and USPS will never be held accountable.  Sometimes filing things like Missing Mail Search Requests is not totally about finding the mail - it's also about informing USPS about issues they are not seeing thru internal metrics.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I can scan the package at the Post Office.. If you can not then take it to the counter and have it scanned. I had two late postage a month till I started doing it myself.  Get the receipt and the problem will go away.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Sorry to tell you. Im a buyer and didn’t receive my order also. Ups told me I refused the package but they didn’t come to my house. I won’t order here on ebay anymore 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I paid for TRACKING!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

If the tracking shows delivered, you do NOT refund.  If the buyer opens a case and you know that tracking shows delivered,  then you put the tracking # in the case and it will close with you winning. If the buyer keeps complaining, you tell them that tracking shows delivered. Tell them that it's possible that the item was stolen but you are not responsible.  Say sorry and go ahead and block them.  You do not want a repeat buyer that lives in a place with neighbors as thieves or is possibly a scammer.  It's very possible too that the wind blew the envelop off the porch but that is NOT your problem.  Buyers are supposed to have a secure location for their mail.   DO NOT REFUND if tracking shows delivered.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

The USPS just lowered rates for Priority Mail from their holiday levels so now I'm able to use PM and pay less than Parcel Post in many cases.

This will let me file a missing mail claim and get a refund for anything that was delivered but not scanned.

I've also raised my shipping rates to cover any higher cost for Priority Mail, costs which are reduced by the free shipping supplies.

Make the buyer pay the cost of the USPS issues.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@bullhead* wrote:

I can scan the package at the Post Office.. If you can not then take it to the counter and have it scanned. I had two late postage a month till I started doing it myself.  Get the receipt and the problem will go away.

I ship several hundred packages a week at work - there is no way I'm going to spend an hour in line at the post office every day, and then have to argue about why this or that package is NOT oversized so please put the dimensions in your computer and you will see... and the postage rate is discounted, as stated on the label itself, and not counter rate.

No thanks.  I want USPS to provide the service I pay for, month after month after month after month.

My postmaster, who I've gotten to know pretty well while dealing with these USPS issues, has said that he has too few employees and too many trainees.  I believe him, but I don't think it has anything to do with Covid anymore.  I believe it's the "cost cutting measures" put in place by the current Postmaster General.  Higher rates, lower service.

One disturbing new trend here in Memphis is simply not scanning anything locally, or at least not showing the scans on the website.  Once the package is scanned by the destination Distro Center, all the rest of the tracking magically shows up... like some kind of switch was thrown and now they can be shown.  I've lost track of how many inquiries and INR cases I've had to deal with because of this.

One thing eBay is missing in all this.... the more time sellers have to spend tracking down USPS issues, the less time we have to get new inventory posted.  And with less new inventory, eBay attracts less new customers and generates less new income.  That's not good for the bottom line... and is something ALL the major USPS customers, like eBay and other online venues, should really be pressing USPS to get resolved, and quickly.  Slow down online purchase deliveries via USPS enough and people will simply quit shopping online for as much as they do today.  Then we all lose... but the Postmaster General gets what he wanted - lower labor costs and fewer packages to handle.

But, maybe I'm just a cynic with an eye for patterns over time.  Could be.  Or there could be all kinds of other "reasons" that we're not being informed of that are gutting USPS services.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

hgfghvhhjvnkljknnjk

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Eh? please clarify

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply