cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS damaged item in shipping Buyer requested to return item for refund per ebay's policy

Ebay requires the seller to accept the return from the customer within 3 days.  This is clearly against the USPS policy under proof of damage.. Items SHOULD NOT BE RESHIPPED.  So if you refund the buyer and kindly ask them to take the item and it packing to the post office when required, they do not want to be bothered because they have already been refunded and can keep the item. The problem is once a claim is filed by the seller who purchased the insurance, the item must be surrendered to the postal service for examination.  Therefore they can not keep the item that has be awarded to them by ebay...  This is a serious problem for sellers.  Damaged items should be separated from refunds and handled differently by ebay.  Ebay must not place roadblocks to the  USPS claim requirements.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

USPS damaged item in shipping Buyer requested to return item for refund per ebay's policy

There is an option under returns to refund without return, so that could be used. There is nothing that can be done to require a buyer to cooperate with the claim process, but I do agree they are less likely to help if you ask them after they have already been refunded. 

That said, I have filed a few USPS claims and I have never had USPS ask me/buyer for more info or ask the buyer to drop the item off to the post office. USPS has paid out promptly on all the claims I have filed with them. Usually I file with my shipping insurance company (Shipsurance) and I suggest using a third party shipping insurance because they are more understanding if a buyer won't help with the claim. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I agree with you and recently eBay has stepped back even further from supporting sellers. It used to be that if a buyer didn't cooperate with an insurance claim and the seller could show that the claim was denied because the buyer either refused to  send photos or make the item available for post office inspection that eBay would often refund sellers out of their own pocket. That's no longer the case - sellers are on their own.

Ask your buyer to send photos of the damage and to hold on to the item and all packing materials as the post office will need to inspect it. I think you'll find most buyers are cooperative - at the very least sending photos. If a buyer refuses to cooperate then report them to eBay so it goes on their account record.

I've only filed a couple of claims with USPS in my lifetime - one was last year - and USPS paid out based on the photos without needing to inspect the item. I don't know the dollar value of your transaction, but my claim last year was under $50 so maybe that played a part in it.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

In response.  Things have changed with the postal service from last year!!  They are requesting every package to be surrendered. They say they have always had the policy but have not enforced it.  I have been selling on ebay for quite a number of years and usually only get a couple of broken items a year. 2020 is different.  I know the postal process and follow it carefully.  I am meeting with the regional office today to discuss this...  Right now there service is terrible.  also  Ebay needs to fix the mechanics of damaged items claims.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

That option allows the buyer to keep the item..  When the insurance claim is filed the item has to be surrendered to the usps upon demand. The buyer can't keep the item. Pics are no longer enough.  once the buyer is paid, they are not very helpful.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply