cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS First Class Package International Shipping

I would like to know why sellers don't offer USPS First Class Package International Shipping to Canada for $14.95 when it could be applicable? Weight up to 4 pounds, value to $400.00, tracking included, delivery time 10 to 21 days. The Global shipping program is taking easily as long for my purchases to arrive in Canada anyway  and most charging USPS Priority International at twice the First Class Package Int'l rate.  I know the shipping costs are curtailing my shopping on eBay and must be affecting others as well.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@maureenr5700 wrote:

I would like to know why sellers don't offer USPS First Class Package International Shipping to Canada for $14.95 when it could be applicable? Weight up to 4 pounds, value to $400.00, tracking included, delivery time 10 to 21 days. The Global shipping program is taking easily as long for my purchases to arrive in Canada anyway  and most charging USPS Priority International at twice the First Class Package Int'l rate.  I know the shipping costs are curtailing my shopping on eBay and must be affecting others as well.

Getting back to the original question, I am wondering if what @maureenr5700 is asking is simply why US sellers use GSP for all international shipping instead of offering First Class shipping to Canada at a lower cost.  If this is was meant, I think it is because simpler for inexperienced sellers not to call out Canada separately.  This is what I began doing to Canada a while back.   Notice that Canada is under the International shipping options

whitewaterford_0-1643952846341.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 20 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

It's not the same price for a 4 pound package as it is for a 4 ounce package. USPS FCPI retail rates to price group 1 are currently:

$14.85 for 1-8 oz

$22.10 for 9-32 oz

$33.65 for 33-48 oz

$45.40 for 49-64 oz

As international shipments incur additional payment processing fees, may require the use of more expensive packing materials (ex: use of free Priority box if shipping within US, requires plain brown box to ship FCPI), and require an additional fee if the seller chooses to add insurance to cover loss, many sellers will place a handling fee on international shipping.

These days so many sellers have reduced participation in international shipping because of fees, liability, increased chargebacks, increased shipping costs, shipping delays and other reasons.

Some sellers use GSP because they find it easier to ship strictly within the US or because they find it reduces a level of liability and yes, GSP fees can be higher for the buyer.

If you're not happy with the shipping costs then don't purchase from sellers that offer GSP and don't purchase from sellers whose shipping rate is higher than you're comfortable with.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Where are you getting that information?

If you look on USPS site First Class Package USA to Canada you will see up to 4#s and up to $400.00 value starting at 14.95..

It is so important to double even triple check info that you put on the web.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

These days so many sellers have reduced participation in international shipping because of fees, liability, increased chargebacks, increased shipping costs, shipping delays and other reasons.

Yep. I used to ship internationally. I stopped doing so when COVID created numerous issues with packages being significantly delayed because I just didn't want to deal with that stress.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

My information comes from the current USPS DMM. I noticed a change of info you posted @maureenr5700 - in post 1 saying that anything up to 4 lb ships for $14.95 and in post 3 saying that prices "start at" $14.95.

canada-pricegroup1.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Yes I noticed that as well and will peruse what the exceptions might be.

Also you are quoting USPS First Class International I'm quoting USPS First Class Package TO CANADA. 

Transactions between USA & Canada are not always considered INTERNATIONAL.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@maureenr5700 wrote:

Also you are quoting USPS First Class International I'm quoting USPS First Class Package TO CANADA. 

Can you post a source to back up that statement? I believe that's news to every person reading this discussion.

Canada falls under International Price Group 1 for USPS First Class Package International service.

GLORIOUS!

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@maureenr5700 

As a Canadian that is familiar with USPS prices I can assure you that shipping from the US to Canada is ALWAYS international.  I can also say that @wastingtime101 is one of the most knowledgeable posters about USPS and shipping in general. 

As mentioned and as shown in the usps first class international chart, zone 1 (Canada) shipping up to 8 oz is $14.85 US. Heavier items are of course more than that.   I'm not sure if you were stating that a package up to 4lbs is just $14.85 but if you were, that isn't even close to being correct. 

Although I'm not a big fan of the gsp I do understand why some sellers use it.   You have to be familiar with usps prices if you want to compare them with global shipping costs. In some cases, the shipping portion on a gsp listing is less than if the item was shipped with usps first class.  That is especially true with heavier items.  I know that the import taxes really bother most Canadians because we are  spoiled in that many packages sent through the mail don't get assessed for taxes or duty but because the gsp uses freight and couriers, they are obligated to collect those fees. And yes, they collect a handling fee as well. But then so do does Canada Post in some cases.

If you want to check the prices for yourself, go to the usps site and and under "SEND" click on calculate price.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@maureenr5700 wrote:

What? Yes they are. I live in the US and have Canadian friends so I have shipped many, many packages to Canada and they have always been considered international.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Please refer to USPS web site First Class Package TO CANADA please read carefully... TO CANADA...

The Canadian eBay site is one example that separates

USA to CANADA shipping and International shipping. 

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@maureenr5700 wrote:

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@maureenr5700 wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

@maureenr5700 wrote:

I live in the US. I use USPS on an almost daily basis and have used it on many occasions to ship to Canada. US to Canada is ALWAYS international.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

You are incorrect ...I can't believe that in 2022 you don't know that USA to Canada isn't always considered International. 

One example ...I am in Canada when I sell on eBay there is an option to enter shipping to USA there is also a  separate option to enter shipping to INTERNATIONAL destinations. Also, of course a separate option  to ship within CANADA.

3 different shipping sections each with a choice of shipping methods.

I don't even know if Canadian sellers can ship GSP I hate it and cutting down on buying from sellers that will only ship with it.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

When I go on the USPS website to calculate shipping from my address to anywhere in Canada, these are the options:

Screenshot_222.pngScreenshot_223.png

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

If you are so knowledgable on USA to Canada shipping, you should tell us how to ship to Canada from the US using domestic service? We would save some Canadian dollars to our buyers. Does USPS know that?

Message 15 of 29
latest reply