cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Approved Insurance Claim then Later Decided to Decline...Anything I can do?

Back in October I had a buyer contact me with pictures of a model car that had been delivered smashed. He sent several good pictures. I do very little selling and have only had this happen a couple of times in 20 years so I may have handled it wrong but I refunded him. I then used his pictures, the original listing info and pictures and submitted a claim. A while later I received the letter that the claim had been approved and I would receive a check in 10 business days. A good month went by and nothing. I called our local post office and they told me they couldn't get involved since I filed the claim online and gave me an 800 number to call. When I finally got a person at that number, she told me all the "we're behind because of Covid" stuff and that the check would be issued as soon as possible and to check the status on the website. Weeks go by with nothing and then the status on the website changed to "claim denied" and I then received another letter that the claim was denied and I could appeal. Called the number back and was told that I could appeal online but more than likely they just realized that I didn't have enough proof to show the damage actually happened in shipping. I contacted the buyer who told me he would take the car back again to his local post office to show them but he didn't still have the original box. This is months later and as far as I know he had already taken it. I filed the appeal online with all the original information plus a copy of the letter I received saying it had been approved and explained what the buyer had told me and that the original box had been thrown away after my claim was approved. Again weeks go by and today I see my appeal has been denied and I will receive a letter on info about fling a 2nd appeal. Anyone else ever deal with such craziness? I know it's not really worth it for $56 but it's the whole point now! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

USPS Approved Insurance Claim then Later Decided to Decline...Anything I can do?

It sounds like you did everything OK.  Just be aware that USPS seems to now be requiring inspections for claims.   Use to be they were more open to pictures, but something seems to have changed. 

But of course if they didn't tell you that, what can you do!  I guess next time if the buyer is so kind ask them to take a copy of the claim forms with them and the original packaging to  their local USPS and have the item inspected.

Maybe you can wear them down with appeals?  Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Your position is that you are being denied payment in a timely manner due to administrative error

Ask USPS to set forth the basis upon which  they place reliance & now refuse to  recognize & accept their initial claim determination.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

How do most sellers handle that? I mean if the buyer isn't nice enough to take it after you've refunded them. I'm sure he would have gotten his refund through PayPal anyway and I hated to make him wait. Thanks for your comments!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

About the only thing insurance is good for is lost packages it seems.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I know it has been a couple years since this comment, but this definitely isn’t the case. I came upon this thread because I am going through this right now - Package was scanned once or twice, but then nothing. A week goes by and they can’t find my package. It’s been almost two months, and its tracking still shows that last scan and never updated/delivered. I filed a claim for full amount of product/shipping/insurance - $600.00 Received a letter in the mail about a week ago stating they are denying the full amount, but they approved $100.00 claim. I was supposed to receive a check in 10 days. Today I received a letter now stating they are fully denying my claim and I have 30 days to appeal it. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply