cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS sent a bill for brokerage fees, which I never requested or authorized

I order from the same merchant in France, pay a shipping fee to them, never had any issues with delivery. Got the last package (I was at home) and then an invoice from UPS came by USPS: pay us $12 for brokerage fees.

Called UPS, some really nasty rep (talked/yelled over me, then even hung up when I asked to talk to a supervisor) told that the merchant didn`t file some form (which I had in front of me along with invoice and other documentation-obviously the merchant did that, but even didn`t-that is between UPS and the merchant who requested the service), and that UPS had to do it for that brokerage fee. There is no duties ($150 value, under non-taxable $800), I didn`t authorize UPS to be my "broker", they dropped the package and then sent me the bill to pay.

Have you ever dealt with such UPS issue? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The buyer is responsible for fees to clear customs. i advise US sellers to never use UPS or FedEx for International deliveries because they charge a hefty broker fee to clear customs for cross border deliveries  even if the item isn't  dutiable and customs fees aren't  charged. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@worldwidetreausures wrote:

I order from the same merchant in France, pay a shipping fee to them, never had any issues with delivery. Got the last package (I was at home) and then an invoice from UPS came by USPS: pay us $12 for brokerage fees.

Called UPS, some really nasty rep (talked/yelled over me, then even hung up when I asked to talk to a supervisor) told that the merchant didn`t file some form (which I had in front of me along with invoice and other documentation-obviously the merchant did that, but even didn`t-that is between UPS and the merchant who requested the service), and that UPS had to do it for that brokerage fee. There is no duties ($150 value, under non-taxable $800), I didn`t authorize UPS to be my "broker", they dropped the package and then sent me the bill to pay.

Have you ever dealt with such UPS issue? 

UPS is a private carrier, they have to do a customs entry regardless of the value and they don't do it for free. As a general thing do not use UPS/FedEx for International transactions (import or export). If there was any taxes due the fee would be a lot higher than $12.

While the sender can agree  to cover any customs processing fees when they purchase the shipping label it's pretty rare that they would and if they did they would be highlighting that fact in the listing.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I'm here to assist with your content. However, I noticed you're asking for comments about Mortgage Advisor Grimsby advice in different areas, but the content seems to revolve around a different topic about UPS brokerage fees. Could you clarify how you'd like to tie the UPS brokerage issue with the mortgage brokerage

Message 4 of 4
latest reply