cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Label bought from eBay - Tracking says Damage Reported

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for taking your time to read this post, I am at a point where I am not sure what to do. So I have sold a few things on FB and eBay, but this is the 1st time its happened. 

Everything went well with the sale, the buyer and I were very communicative, I printed the label, packed the item, and dropped it off the following business day. 

Once the package hit the nearest major city in their state, I noticed it hasn't moved for awhile. Then all of a sudden the page says this:

UPS Damage Reported.png

So I immedietly was thinking and Googling of what I can do. From what I found, I just have to give the buyer a refund, since this is on the carrier and seller now. So I told the buyer give me a day to look into it, and once I dig deeper, I told them to mark it "Package never delivered or lost" and then gave them their refund right away.

Now I have chatted with eBay on FB as it seems that was the best way to get someone, and then I have spoken to UPS CS 3 times over the phone. The part that infuriates me is who they are defining as the seller and that they are both pointing the fingers to each other.

UPS says, I am the seller but since I bought my label from eBay, they have to fill out the claims form and I would get the money back from eBay and I am a 3rd party?

eBay says, I am the seller even if I bought the label from them and I have to deal with UPS for my insurance money.

The tricky thing is, when I go to my Claims Dashboard in UPS, it doesn't have a claims number nor a button to upload documents, this makes me feel like UPS is right. However, eBay has no email where I could email them the documents and proof I have collected to get the claims going too!

Lastly, the item is reported "Damaged" but in reality, its lost because I don't even have my item... A damage claim requires pictures but they discarded the box and its a tiny package which I understand is more prone to easily being crushed on the belts or trucks in transit...

Thank you for taking the time and helping me out!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You have to follow a specific process to file a claim when you purchase a UPS label through eBay @harrisonchong13 .

eBay instructions here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipcover/shipping-insurance-shipcover?id=4643#section3

Handy step by step with screenshots here: https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/sc/pdf/UPS_Claims_Process_for_eBay_Sellers_2022.pdf 

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the quick reply! I have already came across these two pages, but then it goes back to my other question, is my package considered lost or damaged? Is it another call to UPS to figure that out? I don't want them to dismiss me again and say eBay has to do this... 

Any advice there? 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I'm honestly not sure @harrisonchong13 .

I'm leaning towards damaged since that's what their tracking says, however since the package was never delivered there's merit in lost. I'd go with damaged and include comments where the form allows, if they offer the option to add photos, add a screenshot of the tracking that shows package damage reported.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hey @harrisonchong13 - I got info from a UPS rep. I told them tracking on UPS shows "damage reported" then the package dropped off the map, presumably too damaged for the package to continue on its way to the buyer, so it was never delivered.

When I asked them whether the claim filed should be for loss or damage, their advice was to file a lost package claim and include the damage notes per the tracking details and “fell off the map” in the comments.

GLORIOUS!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much for doing that! I really appreciate it. I am currently in the hospital with my wife post-op, so its been hard to find time. Ill try my best to do that, but I need a claim # so I will have to call UPS and see if I can do it with someone.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you @wastingtime101 ! I just had to call again and ask for a claim number, then I was able to upload documents without it being in my dashboard and submit my claim payment. 

3rd times the charm...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply