cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sources for small quantities of various size shipping boxes?

It seems most box-makers/sellers only sell in bulk... does anyone know the best places to buy SMALL quantities of various size shipping boxes for smaller sellers?  Also UNUSUAL size ones? 

EXAMPLE:  I have an item to list that is very thin but about 3.5 feet long and slightly angled, so it won't fit into a tube unless it is a thick one.  Now, NO STORES sell large shipping tubes anymore.  I will probably have to butcher a large box from Staples and MAKE a box, which isn't ideal.  Someone, somewhere, makes a box or tube that would work BUT no doubt doesn't sell them individually, and certainly not at a local address.

This question may be too broad for a company with sellers from all over the world, but I am curious how folks get around this problem.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

USPS has Tubes in their website that they can ship to you.. The tube will be on USPS/Shipping  Material/priority boxes.. they have two sizes and come in packs of 10. For longer items you can joint two boxes together.. I`m not sure how many and how soon you need them. Usps generally ships their box orders within two days after you order them.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

The USPS tubes are actually triangles and some slightly bent items fit in them nicely because they are almost 5.25" wide on each side... so that's a lot of "wiggle room".

Also, UPS stores have a variety of boxes and might sell them individually.  I never asked, but it's quite possible.  You could call your local store first to be sure you can purchase the box without the shipping service.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I get boxes at Piggly Wiggly the afternoon shelves are being stocked for the next weeks sales.  They have carts full all over the store.   Walmart is good too but they do their stocking early morning.   

If you can get a large flat piece of cardboard or break down a huge box you can just literally roll up a package.  

If your looking for a box to ship a golf club in go look at the trash behind a golf course.  Need a boot box, look behind a shoe store.  If you're looking for a box to ship a painting in go look at the trash of an art framing shop....  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Start with a google search within your own town.

Here in Las Vegas there is a company called Box Brothers. They carry pretty much everything that Uline carries but they sell them by the each. Yes they will be a bit more expensive than Uline charges BUT you can buy just one.

Additionally, since they stock them you can buy them as you need them. No need to stock up ahead of time of size you think you might need.

I suspect that in any fairly sizeable metropolitan area there are similar companies and you can find them on Goodle. (That's how I found them)

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@nells250 

Appliance stores usually have some big thick boxes.

It'll take a little cutting, but it would make a good tube like box.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I never pay for boxes, just hit up your local family dollar, dollar general, or dollar tree. Go after the day of the week they restock, and you'll have all the boxes you need 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Some fresh ideas!  🙂  I'll look into the USPS tubes, since I had to pay $4 for a large box that I will only have to cut down and hopefully make rigid enough for the long-thin part I do indeed have a bid on now!

As for used-box sources, alas, while I live about 7-8 miles from Boston-proper, we don't have many "we sell large item" stores in my immediate area.  When I was a kid, the CVS up the road from us used to have PILES of boxes and stuff on the sidewalk for the trash truck... but I think the town put a stop to that as I haven't seen it in years.  I wouldn't be surprised if many companies in this state are being forced to recycle them... but that is another topic all together...

I have seen some smaller boxes at Market Basket supermarkets for customers, but they are usually too small.  Still, a possible source in a pinch.

I have indeed looked up (though in the past) local sources for new boxes, but all searches come up negative for singles.  I suppose I can try once again and see if that has changed... I know U-Haul sells some, though if I remember correctly they aren't exactly cheap.  FedEx offers some popular-item-size boxes I noticed, but I am not sure if they include shipping costs, as one for a tablet was about $5.  I think it may have foam inside, which would be worth the extra money.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You can combine two of them.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Staples has all different size boxes, you can buy as little or as many you like.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I don't know where you live but I'm from Michigan and use a local supplier (not Staples, Office Depot or any other big box store -- they're too expensive).  I have used ULINE in the past and often will tap into suppliers on Ebay for the right price.  If you're unable to use the USPS boxes for your needs (priority mail).  A local supplier might be your best option.  I'm able to purchase boxes as small as 3x3x3 up to very LARGE; along with bubble wrap.  And the pricing beats everyone!!!  Sometimes buying local is your best bet!!  Good luck.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply