cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold as for parts or not working, buyer no longer wants item and wishes to return it

Sold an item for parts or not working. Buyer decided they no longer wanted the item because they said it wasn't as described, even though it was clearly sold as for parts or not working. They started the return process, however the return process is not putting my return policy into place. Is this because they marked the return as "not as described"? How do I contest this? I don't have a problem with accepting the return, however describing it as "not as described" when it was clear the item didn't work is incorrect. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sold as for parts or not working, buyer no longer wants item and wishes to return it

Which one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Mid-2009-2-26GHz-Core-2-Duo-/162656989227?hash=item25df1...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Mid-2009-2-26GHz-Core-2-Duo-/162629220217?hash=item25dd7...

Probably should have left out, "Everything else on the computer works." from the description. I'd deny the request and hope somebody at eBay understands the NOT WORKING part in the ad,

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You can't deny an SNAD return. It's simply not an option. And your return policy covers buyers remorse only. While this may be a case of buyers remorse, he filed the return request as significantly not as described. The only way to contest an SNAD with any chance of winning is by calling customer service but there is guarantee you will win and if you stated that anything worked, it may be a slam dunk win for the buyer. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Selling something , that is ' Sold an item for parts or not working, ' is no longer an option. Sure it looks good in the listing, but you're just fooling yourself. You have 2 options, new or used. In either case, the buyer is the one who decides what is the actual condition and whether they want to keep it or not.As you're about to find out, a SNAD trumps everything that is written, described  or pictured. If the buyer says it's not as described your only options are to pay for the return, refund in full or participate in the ' partial refund, ' scam. This is the new ebay and this is how it works. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@morty14 wrote:

Selling something , that is ' Sold an item for parts or not working, ' is no longer an option. Sure it looks good in the listing, but you're just fooling yourself. You have 2 options, new or used. In either case, the buyer is the one who decides what is the actual condition and whether they want to keep it or not.As you're about to find out, a SNAD trumps everything that is written, described  or pictured. If the buyer says it's not as described your only options are to pay for the return, refund in full or participate in the ' partial refund, ' scam. This is the new ebay and this is how it works. 

Wrong as usual. "For parts or not working" is an actual item condition in some categories. Sellers are not limited to new and used. And when sellers use that item condition field, they have a good chance at winning SNADs. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Depending on which item were talking about, your situation may be different for  both. I'm going to assume its the "MacBook Pro 13 Inch Mid 2009 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo" (the cheaper one) because you have a return policy on it listed. If its that one, you really have no choice but to accept the return because of your return policy of 14 days. ANY return policy, eBay will force a return. Most likely the buyer is just fishing for a partial.

If its the other one, you may be able to call eBay and get the closed in your favor. It won't be easy, but it can be done. As I have said before, you can sell AS-IS (we all know what that means, except eBay doesn't) and make it stick. It just takes a proper listing. You MUST list it for "Parts or Repair only", you MUST have a "No Return Policy", you should have "Parts or Repair only" in the title (if possible), the top of the description and at the end of the description (I always used BOLD, 24 point RED font). You also shouldn't say what works or doesn't work (many would say to avoid adjectives altogether).  If you do all that, you have about an 75% or greater you will win with eBay.

You might want to read a post I made back in 2016 about SNAD. It's long, but has information you need in it. Simply click on my name and type "SNAD box" (without the quotes) in the search field and it should be the first post listed.

Good luck

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@morty14 wrote:

Selling something , that is ' Sold an item for parts or not working, ' is no longer an option....

Sure it is, I do it all the time (even on this id). I have no issues.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@morty14 wrote:

Selling something , that is ' Sold an item for parts or not working, ' is no longer an option.

It certainly still is in the categories I sell most in. Maybe read up on eBay listing policies.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@morty14 wrote:

Wrong as usual. "For parts or not working" is an actual item condition in some categories. Sellers are not limited to new and used. And when sellers use that item condition field, they have a good chance at winning SNADs. 

Once again, taking both sides on the same issue. You just said , " You can't deny an SNAD return. It's simply not an option, ' which is it ? Now the SNAD is winnable, or are you going to post on another thread it just isnt possible.  I'm sure the OP can just drop your name and the CSR will bend over to save this SNAD, they can just use, ' Well, missjen said so, ' that should work just fine.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply