cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Postcard Sales

Does anyone besides me think it wrong to have to add a 1.05 to a single postcard sale just so ebay can have their precious tracking number.I would call this screwing the customer or aren,t we susposed to give a hoot about that.On a sale that is usually below 5.00 and sent per regular mail,I don't get it.I think that they should have a dollar value that below no tracking is necessary,besides I think this stuff is a qc type environment where they should be attacking real inequalities and problems not creating them.I know office **bleep** get there kicks and bonuses through this **bleep** but please come to a commonsense sense world and leave the insanity to politics.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Single Postcard Sales

As far as I know, tracking is not required by eBay.  However, if the seller does not upload a tracking number when an item is sold and shipped, and the buyer claims "item not recieved", the seller has to refund or replace.  

Approximately 40% of my orders go out without tracking.  I have had very few problems in the past 6 years, non of which were not able to be resolved quickly and easily.  I definently have a niche market, so my practices and experiences may not fit into many business models.  Just thought I would share.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

I ship more than 60% of my orders without tracking. A fair number of those go overseas.

I have very few problems with buyers claiming non delivery. Maybe 1 out of 300 orders or so.

I don't need to be a TRS bad enough to pay for shipping labels on 5-10 & 15 dollar sales. And I refuse to get involved in EBAYS guaranteed delivery boondoggle where a seller is graded based upon the USPS performance.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

Tracking is not "required".

Use another account to sell items that you do not want to use tracking on.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

I would be okay if the postage is just a $1.05 with tracking but how do you get that? The lowest my postage goes for first glass is $3.05? How do I get $1.05? I have a premium store that's Top Rated and I don't get that option. I'm just getting ready to list post cards but don't want to mess up my rating. I don't really want to open a new store for just Post Cards.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

There is no postage for $1.05 with tracking.  USPS only offers tracking with packages, not with letters or flats (AKA Large envelope).  The cheapest shipping with tracking would be online postage for a First Class flat, which costs $2.66 for any weight up to 4 ounces.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

OK, THANK YOU. Not sure what collectiblecuriosities was referring to then. I guess it's better to sell them in quantities to absorb the cost.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

You're welcome.

I noticed an error in my post above; it should say, "The cheapest shipping with tracking would be online postage for a First Class package, which costs $2.66."

Perhaps the $1.05 is the difference between the postage cost for a package vs the postage cost for the untracked service they'd use instead?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

i still do not know how to send a pc with no tracking...please help how to check out...i have so many to sell
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

Put it  in an envelope and put some stamps on.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

@usafleawrote:
i still do not know how to send a pc with no tracking...please help how to check out...i have so many to sell

All of my items go without tracking. I use Stamp.com for First Class Letter postage. You can also look on eBay for postage stamp lots. You can usually get them for 50-80% of face value (meaning you get $1.00 worth of stamps for 50 to 80 cents.

I used to work for a small stamp company and got all my postage at 50% of face value. Saved A LOT of money.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

I can share the postage rates that I know from using in my own business:

USPS First Class Letter up to 1 ounce, not more than 1/4 inch thick  is .50 cents

USPS First Class Letter up to 2 ounces, not more than 1/4 inch thick is .71 cents

USPS First Class Letter up to 2 ounces, more than a 1/4 inch thick, but less than 3/4 inch thick  is $1.21

If you have a self service kiosk at your local Post Office, I would advise using it on your first few shipments.  Place the envelope on the scale and select mail a LETTER.  Then follow the prompts on the screen.

Good luck and I hope that you sell lots of postcards!

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

@collectiblecuriositieswrote:

Does anyone besides me think it wrong to have to add a 1.05 to a single postcard sale just so ebay can have their precious tracking number.I would call this screwing the customer or aren,t we susposed to give a hoot about that.On a sale that is usually below 5.00 and sent per regular mail,I don't get it.I think that they should have a dollar value that below no tracking is necessary,besides I think this stuff is a qc type environment where they should be attacking real inequalities and problems not creating them.I know office **bleep** get there kicks and bonuses through this **bleep** but please come to a commonsense sense world and leave the insanity to politics.

Hello,

I understand your issue completely as I sell slides. When this first happened with the tracking I thought, no way would my customers pay that shipping cost. I found that offering combined shipping works great for me. I offer shipping at $2.50 (yes, I know below PO rate) on the entire purchase, whether you purchase 1-100 slides. Since then many of my lower end slides sell in batches of 2-7 slides per customer. Hope this helps

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

@mcdougle4248wrote:
 ... USPS First Class Letter up to 2 ounces, more than a 1/4 inch thick, but less than 3/4 inch thick  is $1.21...

That's a flat (AKA Large envelope), not a letter.  And if the piece is rigid then it can't be mailed as a flat and has to go as a package.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Single Postcard Sales

Thank you.  I stand corrected.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply