cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping fiasco

I received a package today returned from the post office because water damage on the label happened,

and another package stopped moving from the same batch and the buyer is complaining.

Call the USPS for help and they tell you to call someone else and when you get there to find out no one can help on purpose

Missing a $100 package is never a fun day, asking people for help whose customer service is designed to be a deterrence 😉

Lost a few customers and have to return some money soon

Hope your day is better than mine

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Shipping fiasco

"missing a $100."....or is it just not moving in tracking?...not lost with tracking yet.

USPS can't really do a whole lot...calling or emailing them...going into a post office and talking to clerk sometimes help.

"water damage"...repack and mail out again notifying buyer...not about "water damage"...but late if it is not damaged...otherwise...refund ASAP...show photo to buyer of "package with damage" in email.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

@retrogames10000 wrote:

I received a package today returned from the post office because water damage on the label happened, and another package stopped moving from the same batch and the buyer is complaining.

Hi @retrogames10000 . Sorry to hear of the lousy day.

On the package that was returned to you you'll end up refunding the buyer and losing out on that outbound ship cost (actually, you may be able to reprint the same exact label and drop it in the PO's drop box if the buyer still wants it).

You can relist and sell the item again - perhaps to the same buyer if they still want it. You can offer them a discount on their next purchase for the inconvenience, perhaps retain them as a buyer.

Since you're selling video games and shipping Ground Adv, those packages include insurance up to $100.

On the package that went missing, you can file an inquiry with USPS here, and if it's officially lost you can file an insurance claim here.

If you need help with any of that, let us know. Hope tomorrow is better for you.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

On the package that isn't moving call the USPS and open a case, don't do the online inquiry. Calling and opening a case will get the ball rolling faster. This is what I was told by the USPS regional consumer affairs office. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

Well, to the credit of eBay:

They did refund the shipping label of the cancelled order, since I received it back and a service was not rendered.  Spent like 3 hours today pursuing a $5 refund so there is that too

Still missing a "high value" package somewhere and promised the buyer to refund in full if there is no movement after 7 days.  Insurance claim I guess!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

I did call and open a case, but then it was closed after they called me.  

The tracking shows an acceptance scan at the local post office but hasn't left in 3 days.  I'm hopeful there is some good news tomorrow 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

We had four packages go missing on the same day.

Two buyers opened a case, and one complained, and one item was delivered to me and I cancelled.

One buyer opened a case after no scan for 12 days and it was scanned about an hour after he opened it.  Got lucky!

One buyer complained and I spent a day looking for a $100 box and it went dark for 6 days and has been found.

We are waiting on the very last one, the buyer opened a case and now I am trying to wait as long as I can 😕

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

A single drop of water can make a label printed with an ink jet printer unreadable.  That won't happen with a laser printer.  Also, put clear tape over the address for added protection.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

@simba6 wrote:

A single drop of water can make a label printed with an ink jet printer unreadable. That won't happen with a laser printer.  Also, put clear tape over the address for added protection.

The biggest problem causer with packages coming up as lost/missing. 

Not covering an ink jet label completely with clear packing tape. 

I cringe every time I see one that is delivered here with the label not completely covered. Thank goodness it is only about 1 in 100.

Posting ID
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

@lakefor94 wrote:

The biggest problem causer with packages coming up as lost/missing. 

Not covering an ink jet label completely with clear packing tape. 

I cringe every time I see one that is delivered here with the label not completely covered. Thank goodness it is only about 1 in 100.

I see people in line to mail packages like that at the post office all the time. I am firmly convinced that probably 95% or so "lost packages" are actually just packages whose labels got damaged to the point it made them unreadable/unscannable.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

Yup-------------------  tape is cheap, well cheaper than a lost item due to an unreadable label.

My labels are completely covered with clear tape, and just in case my tape is too cheap, the tape goes all the way around the package.  It might get peeled off if just stuck to cardboard, but sticks well to itself, so------------all the way around with that tape on mine.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Yup-------------------  tape is cheap, well cheaper than a lost item due to an unreadable label.

My labels are completely covered with clear tape, and just in case my tape is too cheap, the tape goes all the way around the package.  It might get peeled off if just stuck to cardboard, but sticks well to itself, so------------all the way around with that tape on mine.

I know I have sent ~5000 over the last 7 years across venues and not one lost/missing package. Been using an inkjet the whole time. 

Been using Duck Brand Standard Packaging Tape, thats the thin stuff, really sticky. I use to use the heavier tape a long time ago but it does not stick as well.

I rarely go to the post office anymore but have seen Etsy packages on the counter with 1 piece of tape across the label.  A bunch of them at that, obviously from the same seller. Hope the post office personnel fixed them.

Some folks have this archaic notion that the scanners can't read thru clear packing tape.

Posting ID
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

Officially, the USPS says one should never put clear tape over the barcodes on inkjet labels. I have been told by UPS and Fedex clerks that they SHOULD be taped over with clear tape, and a few postal clerks also told me this. Some postal clerks told me not to and complained when I taped over my inkjet labels.

If the inkjet label is smooth and even and the label has one even layer of tape the package should scan fine. If the label is uneven (wrinkly) with tape it may or may not scan. I suspect being uneven/wrinkly is the culprit, not the tape. But we have never been given a definitive answer from the USPS about it. Not putting clear tape over a barcode on an inkjet label leaves it open to damage if it is subjected to rain or moisture and could render the label illegible/unusable.

(Never tape over thermal labels, including the barcodes! The tape will cause the labels to fade en route.)

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

Agreed, thermal labels, no tape over the label.

If a seller is not putting clear tape over ink jet labels, it is imminent there will be issues, just a matter of time, especially if they are shipping daily without covering labels

Posting ID
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Shipping fiasco

@lakefor94 wrote:

I know I have sent ~5000 over the last 7 years across venues and not one lost/missing package. Been using an inkjet the whole time. 

2000+ here across my venues and same, not a single lost package.

I use a Laserjet printer, tape completely over the labels to make sure they're fully adhered and to prevent them from getting wet/damaged, and I make sure to place my labels on a flat part of the box and not over any flaps.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply