cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping envelopes with stamps

If I want to ship envelopes with stamps instead of using Ebay's shipping services which shipping service should I select on my listings? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay does not offer postage labels for First Class flats (AKA Large envelope) even though they let sellers offer it when setting up a listing.  If you plan to mail your item as a letter rather than as a flat, then do not select Large Envelope when setting up your listing, just use a flat rate for "Standard" shipping, rather than calculated shipping.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

USPS First Class.....................  with just a stamp as long as the item qualifies. (meets USPS physical requirements for an envelope)

That as you know will not have any tracking, and can not be shipped via eBay.

Some of your sales may qualify for eBay Standard Envelope (ESE)

ESE is scannable (like metered mail) but not tracking as we know it.

Someone will likely chime in to give you the entire rundown on ESE.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The only one I am seeing is USPS first class large envelope. Would that be the correct option? This option is saying it's $1.87 but would I pay that or would I just not print that label and use stamps?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

eBay does not offer postage labels for First Class flats (AKA Large envelope) even though they let sellers offer it when setting up a listing.  If you plan to mail your item as a letter rather than as a flat, then do not select Large Envelope when setting up your listing, just use a flat rate for "Standard" shipping, rather than calculated shipping.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you so much! I know what to do now.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@poke.elo 

If you are shipping an item that will fit inside either a #6 or #10 plain white envelope (and it weighs less than an ounce), you can simply slap a First Class stamp on it, and drop it in the mailbox.

However -- it will not receive tracking, nor can you insure it at that price, nor can you purchase First Class stamps through eBay.

First Class stamps can only be purchased at the post office, or some drugstores and supermarkets.  And, while regular First Class mail does not receive tracking, you can upgrade to registered or certified mail at the post office.

Any particular reason why you don't wish to use the eBay Standard Envelope?  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

All of your items, except the multi-card lots, qualify for ESE and you really should be using ESE because it offers you insurance and protects TRS status because it has "tracking" (the tracking is not conventional tracking and is very unreliable, but it protects TRS and comes with $20 of insurance and that alone makes ESE  worth it.)

Whether you use a stamp or ESE, make  sure you do NOT use top loaders for your cards, and ensure they are easily flexible (it needs to wrap around a coffee cup etc.)

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I can't use ESE for my 50 card lot because it is above 3 ounces. I am just going to use standard shipping and slap a stamp and some extra ounce stamps on it. Don't worry I have a way to ship 50 cards without it getting sent back to me.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@poke.elo wrote:

I can't use ESE for my 50 card lot because it is above 3 ounces. I am just going to use standard shipping and slap a stamp and some extra ounce stamps on it. Don't worry I have a way to ship 50 cards without it getting sent back to me.

The weight limit for First Class letters is 3.5 ounces, and they can't be more than 1/4 inch thick.  If you're over that weight or thickness, you have to ship as Ground Advantage.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply