cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping buyer and seller both pay

I've read other forms about this but no one's being direct or clear about this. Why is eBay charging twice for shipping? The buyer and then we have to purchase the label..     what if we offer free shipping do we still have the shipping added on to our total cost and then they deduct their percentage and then we still have to buy a shipping label? I'm not understanding this this is they are charging twice right am I correct here? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The buyer's payment goes to you, and then you purchase the postage.  The buyer never purchases postage directly; it's always through the seller, whether the seller offers free shipping or charges separately for "Shipping and handling".

The final value fee is a percentage of the buyer's total payment that they send to you through eBay, including item price, shipping, and sales tax (if any).

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I'm not understanding this this is they are charging twice right am I correct here? 

@*loca_agates* 

Respectfully, you're incorrect. A seller is charged with purchasing a label once... no matter if buyer pays or gets Free.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@*loca_agates* 

You're confused. 

Buyer pays for item + shipping + sales tax. Listing might have a separate charge for shipping where buyer pays that cost. Or listing might have "free" shipping, meaning buyer doesn't pay an additional shipping cost but seller has included it in price of item.

You (as seller) receive the buyer's full payment. Ebay retains the sales tax, charges you FVF and you get the rest of the payment. From those proceeds, you use a portion of the funds to purchase the shipping label.  

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@*loca_agates* 

It's like this...

1. Can you do me a favor go to the post office and buy me a book of stamps? You'll pay for it? Thanks! (Free Shipping - you are paying the post office out of your own pocket for the postage)

2. Can you do me a favor go to the post office and buy me a book of stamps? Here's the cash for it. Thanks! (Buyer pays shipping - he gives you the money up front, you use that money to buy the postage.)

In both cases, there is only ONE payment made for the stamps. The money comes from two different sources. In case number 1, it comes from you. In case number 2, it comes from the buyer... you are just passing that money to the carrier ( USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply