cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping besides USPS?

I have been selling a few months some of my stuff, shipping via USPS but I really cant stand using them because they are always slammed with people and USPS always seems to have all kinds of pet peeves/requirements about what kind of tape, the box, preexisting labels, etc. 

Whats the 2nd cheapest alternative thats easier to deal with? (not Fed Ex of course).  

How do I get discounted rated for UPS or DHL?

Thanks

S

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Shipping besides USPS?

If you think USPS has rules for taping, boxing, pre-existing labels, etc., just wait until you find out UPS's requirements. For example, if you use a box that's already been used, chances are your claim for a UPS damaged item will be denied. If you don't tape according to UPS's guidelines, same thing.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

ALL carriers have "pet peeves" about how to prepare a package for mailing or shipping.  

You should know that shipping via UPS may be more expensive and less convenient, both for you and the recipient.  You also will lose customers who rely on a PO box.  However, you can open your own UPS account and link it to eBay to get a discount.  If you have a "daily pick-up" account -- lots of packages per day or week -- then UPS gives a better-than-retail rate regardless of the source of the package.

As for a PO being "slammed with people," you can request carrier pick-up -- it's free.  Or, like most neighborhood businesses in my area, just place your bin of packages on the designated counter, with or without a SCAN sheet, and leave. No line, no waiting.  Or pick a time when the PO is not busy; first thing in the morning when the doors open or after the lunchtime rush are generally good.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

@sebezsales wrote:

I have been selling a few months some of my stuff, shipping via USPS but I really cant stand using them because they are always slammed with people and USPS always seems to have all kinds of pet peeves/requirements about what kind of tape, the box, preexisting labels, etc. 

Whats the 2nd cheapest alternative thats easier to deal with? (not Fed Ex of course).  

Thanks

S

Do you think that UPS doesn't have rules about that?

DHL gave up domestic US shipping about 20 years ago and is not an approved eBay carrier for US domestic shipping.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

honestly, you need to learn what the requirements are and then set up your shipping..boxes, tape , etc that make it simple to simple pack and send...

what is the issues?.. do you use the priority boxes and/or envelopes... clear tape, of course?

and print an ebay label and tape on... why is that hard... some say no tape ove r the bar code, but that's not a good idea since the bar code can get damaged then your stuck...so clear tape..the "matte finish" tape is always best, but i use what i get at walmart...so...

just think you need so USPS advice...

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

DHL does have a domestic hybrid service, similar to UPS Surepost and FedEx Smartpost.  It's used mostly by companies that have a DHL contract for international shipments and want to use the same account for domestic orders.  Naturally, one would go straight to the DHL website to print labels, not eBay or Paypal. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
DHL does have a domestic hybrid service, similar to UPS Surepost and FedEx Smartpost.  It's used mostly by companies that have a DHL contract for international shipments and want to use the same account for domestic orders.  Naturally, one would go straight to the DHL website to print labels, not eBay or Paypal. ~~C~~

yes there are services that may "work" better for an item or what you sell and need to ship...so always good to know the choices, but they do all have rules for the shipping...and i go back to asking , what is your real issues with USPS...?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

@sebezsales wrote:

Thanks

S

Of course, USPS is busy because it works for a lot more people than FedEx or UPS (DHL has been kaputt for years in most of the US).

You will find many more nits will be picked at UPS. No reused boxes, no wrapped boxes, no duct tape (though that should be banned by USPS also). 

If you have home mail delivery you can get FREE carrier pickup of packages. UPS will charge you extra for pickup.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

Thanks. Sounds like I need to stick to USPS and just figure it out better!

The main things Im never sure about: 

-For Priority Ship, can I use whatever box I can find in my apartment complex recycling bin. Im never sure if this is ok?  Just add Ebay ship label?

-I have to remove all prexisting labels?

-If I leave it for pick up in apartment complex USPS pick up bin, how do I look up later that it has been picked up and in transit/progress? Does my ebay label provide a track #?

-Is there something simpler and cheaper than Priority?

thank you

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

The only service simpler and cheaper than Priority is USPS First Class packages, which can be used for package up to 15.999 ounces.  It's not only cheaper, it's also simpler because the prices aren't zoned.  

For packages of that are not over 18 pounds and not over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches), just offer Priority Mail.

You can use any box that is big and strong enough for your purposes.  Black-out, cover, or remove any potentially confusing information like old barcodes and shipping labels.

Yes, your eBay shipping label provides a tracking number that you can follow.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

DHL does operate in the US. I don't know if was this hybrid service you speak of that delivered it but I ordered from a company in the UK recently and it was shipped via DHL and it was delivered by a yellow and red DHL van with a lady in a DHL uniform. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

That was an international shipment, not domestic.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

Thank you!! So if my USPS postperson does pick up from the bin, I can just leave it there right? I dont like going to USPS office

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Shipping besides USPS?

@missjen316 wrote:

DHL does operate in the US. I don't know if was this hybrid service you speak of that delivered it but I ordered from a company in the UK recently and it was shipped via DHL and it was delivered by a yellow and red DHL van with a lady in a DHL uniform. 

I haven't seen a yellow DHL delivery truck in my area in around 10 years. Going online I can see that there is a DHL drop off in 2 UPS Stores both close to 50 miles away from my house. There are more further out but only one actual DHL facility, the rest just state that you can drop off and they are mostly UPS Stores with a few stand alone packing stores thrown in.

DHL EXPRESS

DHL Staffed Facility

101 FOUR COINS DRIVE

Canonsburg, PA 15317

(800) 225-5345

Cross streets: Weavertown Rd to, Four Coins Drive Distance: 68.90 mi Latest drop-off: 6:00 PM [M-F] No Saturday Pickup

Message 14 of 14
latest reply