cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Cost help from eBay

For many years we have  posted about the issue of shipping costs increases for eBay sellers.l  Some we get support from members but many times have been blasted. Nevertheless, we have held the position that eBay needs to pitch in and help by being a part of the solution rather than being a part of the problem.   Everyone in the internet sales space makes shipping a priority in the sales process. ( Lower for buyers or free etc).

EBay hammers the free shipping theme constantly.   EBay has the size to generate huge discounts from the USPS.

We have a vendor that ships for example a 29 package 10 oz pkg. from zone 8 using 2 day priority registered mail for $ 19.90. ( 5K insurance)   This shows the discounts possible from the USPS by vendors that ship thru the USPS. 

We all know the eBay has a deal with the USPS and they pass a discount  to users of their shipping program as do others. 

It would be nice if eBay sets an example for sellers by passing on more of the discount and not charging fees on automatic postal fee increases etc . These policies have nothing to do with the original reason why eBay decided to charge FVF fees on shipping. One reason eBay is failing is they expect each sellers to act as a stand alone Amazon seller for example but leave the eBay seller to fend for themselves in an increasing difficult selling environment.   eBay is an aggregator  and as such is able to obtain deals that individual sellers cannot. That is reason for sellers to join in a community  which allows eBay to become aggregator.

It is high time for eBay to look at the future of this marketplace rather than just look at turnover as its number one priority.  Someone must look at the trade off between GMV and short term nickels and dimes. 

For example, we feel the international sales market might be a good place to gain GMV so we have suggested they cut or even discount GSP costs to be competitive.

In any case, eBay has not made any strategic nor tactical suggestion in forever. Each month we get the same emails, ie, free shipping, cut prices etc. , markdown while  we churn your account and get our fees. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I'm happy with the discount I get from eBay for USPS shipping.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You can get better discounts if you work with shipping vendors outside of eBay. My basic FedEx discount is better than the joke of a discount we get through eBay. I haven't looked into it, but from what I have been told the supposed "discount" we get on eBay is nothing more than the standard online label printing rates. I need to quit being lazy because shipping is definitely getting expensive.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

One of eBay's competor's charges $11.50 for FedEx ground 3 - 10 lbs boxes up to 30x30x30.  eBay handles 10 times the transactions so why don't they have a similar agreement?   Oh wait, they would make less on the FVF if they did that..... It couldn't possibly increase overall sales enough to make up the difference, could it?   </sarcasm off>

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@judith525 wrote:

I'm happy with the discount I get from eBay for USPS shipping.

the only discount that eBay gives you on shipping is the .....  about 3%(if you are TRS)  on Priority that used to be the "commercial plus" discount that USPS stopped giving.

eBay is extending that discount (taken from their bigger discount) to us as a small perk.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I mean if they actually negotiated for good rates I would probably double my current sales. I recycle so much stuff because profit margins are too low.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sorry, our apologies,  the package used as an example  was 29 pounds 10 ozs and measured  18X 16 X 12.  Vendor paid $19.90 for 2 -day Priority registered mail zone 8.    The point being made was any break in shipping, which can be obtained by eBay and passed to sellers will ultimately help sales efforts in a very competitive market.      The marketplace is  headed towards 1 or 2 day shipping if not free shipping with 1 to 2 day shipping.  In our market there ius even a delivery by noon if ordered  by a hourly deadline.   Just seems one benefit of community is to obtain advantages which can be used by community members due to membership.  There are many examples, like credit unions, HMO's etc . Free shipping  and quicker shipping does help in getting sales.  To make a start to get sales going again , this is a good step. This and many other steps which eBay needs to look at as it is one of the few sites that is showing a minus grow rate in sales.

For those that are happy with their present situation great.  If you can lessen your shipping costs then by all means pass the saving to your buyers.  Our comments are for the market in general as it's realities have caused a perfect storm and dropped sales for almost all sellers.    Competition  has backed smaller eBay sellers into a  no win situation on shipping.   Costs will continue to rise for supplies, actual costs and labor. Many sellers do not even get paid for the task and forced to continue finding short cuts.  Looking for solutions is not a crime as eBay has had declining metrics  for awhile. The key failing metric is GMV which has been in decline  for a time. The key priority for eBay is to grow GMV.

They are not doing anything about that metric.  Two key eBay steps would help,  stop paying dividends and stop  company stock buyback.  Both are  reflections of corp failure in policy. The promotions program has  run afoul of search engines but that is a topic for another time (search) .   We all have a big challenge in this marketplace and  while we cannot fix most we can begin to look at making steps towards getting out of the ditch we are in and get back to better times. We need to get eBay to see the benefit to supporting and helping sellers as that may stem the tide of falling fortunes.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I just have to reply to this,the example that you give for registered shipping does not make any sense.

there really is no registered priority shipping,the cost of registered mail is about $12 so I am not sure how your customer is sending a heavy package for only $7

I wish you would elaborate more on this example because it does not add up

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@amricons wrote:

Sorry, our apologies,  the package used as an example  was 29 pounds 10 ozs and measured  18X 16 X 12.  Vendor paid $19.90 for 2 -day Priority registered mail zone 8.    The point being made was any break in shipping, which can be obtained by eBay and passed to sellers will ultimately help sales efforts in a very competitive market.      The marketplace is  headed towards 1 or 2 day shipping if not free shipping with 1 to 2 day shipping.  In our market there ius even a delivery by noon if ordered  by a hourly deadline.   Just seems one benefit of community is to obtain advantages which can be used by community members due to membership.  There are many examples, like credit unions, HMO's etc . Free shipping  and quicker shipping does help in getting sales.  To make a start to get sales going again , this is a good step. This and many other steps which eBay needs to look at as it is one of the few sites that is showing a minus grow rate in sales.

For those that are happy with their present situation great.  If you can lessen your shipping costs then by all means pass the saving to your buyers.  Our comments are for the market in general as it's realities have caused a perfect storm and dropped sales for almost all sellers.    Competition  has backed smaller eBay sellers into a  no win situation on shipping.   Costs will continue to rise for supplies, actual costs and labor. Many sellers do not even get paid for the task and forced to continue finding short cuts.  Looking for solutions is not a crime as eBay has had declining metrics  for awhile. The key failing metric is GMV which has been in decline  for a time. The key priority for eBay is to grow GMV.

They are not doing anything about that metric.  Two key eBay steps would help,  stop paying dividends and stop  company stock buyback.  Both are  reflections of corp failure in policy. The promotions program has  run afoul of search engines but that is a topic for another time (search) .   We all have a big challenge in this marketplace and  while we cannot fix most we can begin to look at making steps towards getting out of the ditch we are in and get back to better times. We need to get eBay to see the benefit to supporting and helping sellers as that may stem the tide of falling fortunes.

@amricons 

I like you observations and opinions on this subject so I'll chime in with a few comments.

I asked this in the weekly chat today:

What is eBay doing to help smaller sellers that do no qualify for shipping discounts with FedEx or UPS? Is see your competition is building its own fleet for delivery and often thus able to do 1 or 2 day delivery. How can eBay remain viable in the long run with ever increasing shipping costs for sellers as the small guys get priced out of the market?

And THIS is the response I got!

we work to negotiate discounted rates for our sellers and pass these discounts on to any seller who prints labels on eBay. We will continue to strive towards supporting our sellers and giving them an opportunity to compete on an equal playing field, and also work towards improving the shipping options and tools available to our Community to remain competitive in an ever changing market.

As far as what eBay IS doing to increase sales is creating a program called Managed Delivery - which increases Drop Shipping!  So like eBay helped Chinese sellers set up warehouses in the USA, looks like eBay is working hard to support drop shippers!

As far as the dividend goes, that came about when Elliott Management took over eBay earlier this year.  Their 1%-2% position in the company was enough to get seats on the BOD and drive the agenda of the company.  First order of business was dumping Wenig.  Elliott is working hard to sell off the Classifieds business and StubHub,leaving just the Market Place. 

Also, eBay looks at Promoted Listings (PL) as low hanging fruit.  Get sellers to pay additional advertising fees above and beyond the 'advertising fees' (listing fees) sellers already face.  Projections are for $1 Billion in revenues from PL, so as GMV declines, it can be made up with PL income. 

Also, the reason for a HUGE push into Managed Payments is that eBay sees the potential for $1 Billion of revenues from that program. Why do the hard changes when you can skim pennies off or every transaction just like CC payment processor do!?

The days of small sellers is likely numbered here.  I suspect 80% of the CS complaints and actions relate to 20% of the sellers, those small sellers that do not "get" returns and fight them.  So if attrition of policies can eliminate these, then lower costs for CS issues going forward!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply