cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Chargers

There seems to be a lot of irregularities in shipping cost all around. Sellers are listing items at very low prices while charging super high prices on shipping. For example in the model railroading O scale seller will have a item listed at a price of 25.99 but the shipping for the item excessed or a 100.00+ dollars!

But depending on the shipping carrier there is a shipping price showed on the label that no where cost that much to ship In most cases the seller will refund the over charge in shipping where others do not and that is quite a bet of cash that they pocket.

We need change and not using an Ebay shipping calculator to determine the shipping as a seller I talked to told me that Ebay uses this practice. I orded instead of their website in which the shipping was cheaper instead of Ording off Ebay and please don't say Ebay has nothing to do with because it does.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Shipping Chargers

And this is the reason why sellers are charged a total fee from eBay on price of item with shipping together.

It does makes it easy for seller not to worry if they didn't charge enough for shipping cost though. How many times has a seller ( me included) underpriced shipping and buyer doesn't say a thank you for inexpensive shipping. Not everyone uses eBay labels for shipping by the way. I don't. I prefer to do it going to the post office so I get tracking on a receipt.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Chargers

You can play with the prices and the shipping fees.  Ebay still charges the same commission.  Ebay pushes Free shipping. Look at both examples below.  Which one is the better deal?   A  or B ?

Hot wheels car  on the card.

a)4.99 + 5.00 shipping = total 9.99

or  9b)  9.99 with free shipping.

Both are exactly the same but some people "feel " that the 2nd one is cheaper.    There is NO difference.  The ebay commissions will be the same.

As a seller,  I sell more when I do NOT use Free shipping.   Ebay pushes free shipping.  There is NO such thing as free shipping unless the seller is totally naive and thinks that Ebay is paying for the shipping since they use Ebay shipping.   If the seller was naive and did not add the shipping cost to the cost of the item, then the buyer truly got free shipping.   That seller is not going to last long here.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Chargers

Without knowing what you are looking at, chances are the seller is adding a huge handling charge to actual shipping cost. Just using the shipping calculator, shipping would be based on where the item is shipped from to without any additional charges. If the seller is adding extras, again like handling, that is from the seller not eBay and the rates you would see would be the USPS counter rates plus the seller built in handling. The rates used for USP calculated shipping for example, are the negotiated lower commercial rates for the sellers, not something eBay makes up. The few $'s the seller saves over what the buyer pays covers cost like fees, packing materials, time etc. Many if not most don't charge a handling fee, so the cost you see is the actual counter cost. 

Most sellers don't even show the cost on the label. 

If you don't like the shipping that is being charged, don't buy. 

Unless you have another account, I see no Feedback for selling on this one. Maybe try selling something and you might understand how things work, or even just go through the motions of setting a listing up. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Chargers

Or it could be they have entered the wrong dimensions/weight for the package. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Chargers

You might find this recent thread from the seller’s perspective to be of interest:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Why-did-Ebay-add-an-outrageous-shipping-charge-to-my-sale-item...

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Chargers

eBay does have something to do with it, but what they have to do with it is limited.

As others have posted, eBay goes by the data provided by the seller to determine the shipping cost.

In some instances, eBay just shows what the carrier (USPS FedEX  UPS) rate charts show for the data provided. eBay does not set the rates.

Beyond that, in other instances, if the seller is asking for some outrageous shipping over, and above what the actual cost of shipping is, it is not eBay's job to tell a seller how much they can charge. (some exceptions may apply to "essentials" where price gouging laws may apply)

And even beyond that, I can charge $100 shipping and handling for the item that I sell, and pay $5 for a shipping label if I so choose. (I don't, but I can) It is not against eBay policy, or any laws to do so. Sellers "pocket" all the cash that they can. That's why they are selling. There is a "back" button on most devices,

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Shipping Chargers

"I ordered instead of their website in which the shipping was cheaper instead of Ording off Ebay and please don't say Ebay has nothing to do with because it does."

Going back and re-reading the post, using eBay to direct sales to someone's web site (which is how I read OPs post), taking sales off the platform is a big no-no. This seems to be a thing in the Model Railroad listings by some sellers till they get caught, more so than I have seen in others. Once they get caught, they lay low for a while, then go back to what they were doing before till get caught again. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply