cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Calculator calculates DIM weight?

Does the eBay shipping calculator figure in DIM weight automatically when you put in the package dimensions (larger than 1 cubic foot (1728 cu. inches))?  For example, if I enter a package that is 20x20x6 with actual weight of 6 pounds will the shipping rates that it calculates and displays for FedX and UPS be accurate or do I need to figure the DIM weight (18 pounds in this case) and enter 18 instead of actual weight of 6 to get the rate to post correctly?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

if dim weight calculates out to more and the site is not showing correctly enter the dim value weight.

Note: dim weight is different for different shippers.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It has always been correct for USPS.  However, UPS and especially for FedEx, ebay has had random problems with correct calculations.  Usually never in the shippers favor and sometimes the errors are quite large.  Safer to ship using your own UPS or FedEx account and keep ebay out from the middle.

For UPS, link your PayPal account to get the same discount rates.

As for FedEx, most of us have given up on them due to all the ongoing delivery problems, incorrect scans, and overcharges.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi @foxyblazer  thank you for your post. I wanted to confirm that the eBay Shipping Calculator will determine billable shipping costs and factor in DIM weight if it applies to your shipment. We recommend that you round up your package weight and dimensions to the nearest whole number and enter the results into the calculator.  Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Package weights are "rounded up" to the next pound.  Dimensions are "rounded to" the nearest inch, but any bump in the package has to be included.  I suppose safer to round those up as well, however, that can be very costly at certain thresholds.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Be careful when setting up your combined shipping rules. If you tell eBay to combine all item weights to calculate shipping, eBay will not charge an additional amount for multiple quantity until the actual combined weight surpasses the dim weight of a single quantity. Your package for example - 6lbs actual weight, 20x20x6 - 18lbs dim weight.

Qty 1, 6lbs - eBay charges for 18lbs

Qty 2, 12lbs - eBay charges for 18lbs

Qty 3, 18lbs - eBay charges for 18lbs

Qty 4, 24lbs - eBay charges for 24 lbs

eBay will charge the same amount for shipping whether the buyer purchases 1, 2, or 3 items and will only charge more at 4+.

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply