cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller deducted shipping cost on return when their mistake.

I recently returned an item because of a mistake in the seller's listing, they listed an incorrect part number in the auction title. The seller accepted the return but they deducted the return shipping from my refund. 

How do I get eBay to assist me in getting a full refund? On my Returns page eBay says I can request assistance with this return on Aug 1 but I don't see a link to request help.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@efrin49 The seller didn’t deduct your return shipping from the refund. Return shipping costs are not included in the refund through eBay. IF the seller is going to reimburse you, he has to send it as a separate payment through PayPal.

ebay can’t step in. They can’t force the seller to refund the return shipping costs. You should have asked them to step in before you returned the item if the seller was unable to provide a return label. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Your post lacks a bit of information.

Did you open a Return Request for Not As Described?

Did the seller issue you a return shipping label?  or did you ship it back on your own dime?

If you went through the Item Not As Described return process, the seller would need to provide you a return shipping label or funds up front.   The only way the can withhold part of the refund is if they are part of free retuns and the say you didn't return it in the same condition OR if they only did a partial refund through PayPal rather than the eBay platform.

The Aug 1 date really means that the seller has all day to complete the return.  If the seller did the latter, which isn't eBay legal for a return, you will have the "ask eBay to Step In" link tomorrow.

- Suzanne -
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks Jen. I'm still confused though.

Seller did provide a return shipping label, and I used it.

The refund came through PP and there is a deduction for "Shipping & Handling" on the PP invoice.

eBay's policy on return shipping is: "If there's a problem with an item, the seller is responsible for paying return shipping costs." There was a problem with the item because the seller listed the wrong part number.

On my Returns page it says: "You should receive the refund by Aug 01, 2018. Everything looks fine, but if there's a problem, come back to this page on Aug 01, 2018 and you will be able to ask us to step in and help." So I'm wondering how to get help from eBay with the return shipping.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I would try the "ask eBay to step in", and see if that option provides the balance of the refund.  If not, I would call eBay customer service.  Do NOT contact paypal or credit card (if funded that way) at this point; hold them in reserve if eBay fails you.

I would not communicate further with the seller; I would leave very appropriate feedback after everything is done.

Good luck....

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Did they have a restocking fee in the auction? That might be what it was also.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Restocking fees aren't allowed.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@efrin49 wrote:

Thanks Jen. I'm still confused though.

Seller did provide a return shipping label, and I used it.

The refund came through PP and there is a deduction for "Shipping & Handling" on the PP invoice.

eBay's policy on return shipping is: "If there's a problem with an item, the seller is responsible for paying return shipping costs." There was a problem with the item because the seller listed the wrong part number.

On my Returns page it says: "You should receive the refund by Aug 01, 2018. Everything looks fine, but if there's a problem, come back to this page on Aug 01, 2018 and you will be able to ask us to step in and help." So I'm wondering how to get help from eBay with the return shipping.  Thanks!

Ok then it looks like they may have issued the refund though PayPal and deducted the original shipping cost?  They can’t deduct any amount actually, as you obviously know. 

They werent allowed to issue you a partial refund. Ask eBay to step in ASAP. You should receive the rest of the refund. Good luck! 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@freaktoyz wrote:

Did they have a restocking fee in the auction? That might be what it was also.

@freaktoyz

Sellers can't charge restocking fees anymore.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Are you sure the deduction was for the return shipping?  How do you know the amount it cost to return the item?  If the seller provided the return label, did Ebay or the seller disclose the cost that to you?  

Could the deduction have been for something else?  I'm just asking so that I may better understand and might be able to assist you.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 10
latest reply