cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHIPPING SCAM

I purchased three items from three different sellers for items that cost around $600 each.  I was provided with shipping tracking information from both USPS and FedEx.

I never received any of these items even though the tracking information shows they were delivered.  

It turns out all three packages had counterfeit shipping information.  Both USPS and FedEx show that those were valid tracking numbers but they all were sent by companies that have nothing to do with my purchases and had delivery addresses and name that were different from mine.  USPS has photos taken of the packages in their facility that show the tracking numbers I was provided with but with shipper and delivery information that are to people and addresses that are unknown to me.  USPS images show a package that is far too small to hold the item I purchased.  FedEx even has a signature on a their delivery form that is not mine or anyone I know.   USPS said this is a common scam.

My problem is EBAY will not investigate beyond the tracking information showing that the packages were delivered.   First they had me attempt to communicate with the sellers with no response from any of them.  Then Ebay opened claims but almost immediately closed the claims because "the seller provided tracking information that shows the item was delivered to your address", which is COMPLETLY IMPOSSIBLE.  

I do not know how to get anything but a computer generated "canned" response from Ebay.

I have purchased these same items before on EBay and had successfull purchases.  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

SHIPPING SCAM

I am going through the same thing https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Tracking-information-does-not-match-Scam/m-p/31895590....

I have contacted UPS to confirm that the delivery was not to my address now in the process of filing a claim with my bank since ebay is no help with this.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

If you paid with a credit card you can go through them to file a claim but you might need evidence from the PO.

I've been seeing this scam reported on the boards quite frequently. Some have had a resolution going to their local PO and getting info, on the PO letterhead, stating the address did NOT match the buying address even though the tracking shows "delivered".

They submit this info with the appeal- you can also try contacting eBay via social media (Facebook) and uploading proof there. 

Good Luck

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

@davijurask0 wrote:

It turns out all three packages had counterfeit [borrowed] shipping information.  Both USPS and FedEx show that those were valid tracking numbers but they all were sent by companies that have nothing to do with my purchases and had delivery addresses and name that were different from mine. 

USPS images show a package that is far too small to hold the item I purchased.  FedEx even has a signature on a their delivery form that is not mine or anyone I know.

Ebay opened claims but almost immediately closed the claims because "the seller provided tracking information that shows the item was delivered to your address", which is COMPLETLY IMPOSSIBLE.  

I do not know how to get anything but a computer generated "canned" response from Ebay.

Jump past the eBay stupidity @davijurask0 and contact PayPal 888-221-1161 or at the link on their site, and point out the date the label was printed and, for FedEx the weight and dimensions. As for USPS, keep trying (sounds like you already succeeded) until you get a printout of the internal tracking showing the weight and measurements from any post office, not just your post office.

Otherwise, it's public information that anyone -- bank, PayPal, eBay, buyer, seller, police -- can see on the tracking. So you don't need a police report to say that the police also see the wrong dates, weight, and dimensions on the tracking, and you claim it's another name and address on the label. See this for how quickly PayPal solves this scam.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

Thank you.  PayPal has a similar resolution process where they want me to talk to the seller and then want to do a bunch of research.  I have claims in there and I am waiting for them to do their research.  I was posting to warn others to be careful as much as I was looking for assistance.  Really disappointed in EBay.  Been buying stuff here for a long time with no problems.  Now that I have a problem their system is so frustrating to navigate.  

Thank you again for your reply and suggestion.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

@davijurask0 

Yes, since tracking show the packages were delivered, Ebay won't do much, yet.

You need to contact the carriers and have them send you a letter stating that the packages with those tracking numbers were not addressed to you, then use those letters to appeal the case.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

Thank you for your reply.  What you suggest is likely the best resolution but I am super mad that EBay's 100% satisfaction, buy with confidence is just a bunch of **bleep**.  I bought through EBay and now they are telling me that I have to do all this research and gather all this evidence and basically start over from scratch.  While they take the Sellers bogus shipping tracking data as enough proof to cancel my claims.   If I had confidence that they would actually look at something I sent them then it might be worth the effort but so far I do not think anything other than a computer algorithm has been involved.   Plus I am dealing with three different purchases from three different seller names (even though I am sure that they are all the same person) so I have to do all this three times.  I am having a hard time keeping everything straight. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

@davijurask0 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  What you suggest is likely the best resolution but I am super mad that EBay's 100% satisfaction, buy with confidence is just a bunch of **bleep**.  I bought through EBay and now they are telling me that I have to do all this research and gather all this evidence and basically start over from scratch.  While they take the Sellers bogus shipping tracking data as enough proof to cancel my claims.   If I had confidence that they would actually look at something I sent them then it might be worth the effort but so far I do not think anything other than a computer algorithm has been involved.   Plus I am dealing with three different purchases from three different seller names (even though I am sure that they are all the same person) so I have to do all this three times.  I am having a hard time keeping everything straight. 

When you first open a case, it's all handled by computers and if the seller provides a tracking number that shows the package was delivered, that's all Ebay goes by.

It's sucks for the buyers, because they are the ones that have to go through the extra work to get it straightened out.

When you appeal the case, a person will handle it then.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

I agree, it's a complicated mess..

As posted above the normal case filed by a buyer is handled by computer- it doesn't know anything except tracking shows delivered.

You need real human eyes on this- and your tracking evidence. As Kensgiftshop stated, the appeal will be looked at by a person rather than computer.

It's legwork & research but that's too much money to write off.

Good Luck!! 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

@davijurask0 

Basically, that is all you are going to get until you can get past the bots and the lower level CS people in chat or on the phone.  They will not investigate and as stated by others can only operate off the fact there is delivery confirmation related to this sale.  They have no authority to give you any money back, and their first obligation is to protect eBay even though they know full well about this scam tactic. 

This phony tracking is used against sellers as well by buyers making returns to satisfy their case.  The sellers have the same problem with finding anyone who admits to knowing about this scam and has the authority to do something about it.

Once you gather the information that states these parcels were NOT delivered to your address, contact ebay by using the message feature on their 'eBay for Business' Facebook page. The people that monitor those messages are higher level employees that are familiar with this prevalent scam AND can do something to help you.   You do not need police reports, you need documentation from the carriers that these parcels were not delivered to your address.  Where they came from or who got them is not important.

Respond there with your name, address, phone number, user ID and transaction information as to the products, seller IDs and tracking numbers along with your documents. 

If you change your mind and file with PayPal (if you paid that way) or your credit card company, you are going to have to have that documentation anyway.  PayPal looks to see if there is delivery confirmation, and you are likely going to have to start the same song and dance all over again. 

Are your sellers still registered users selling the same sort of merchandise?  

Good luck to you, and let us know how it turns out.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

I am also fighting about these shipping scams. I even called and talked to a customer service rep at ebay and they said they would look into it....... I bought something, the seller put the same tracking number on 2 separate sales. I got notice said mine was delivered. When I checked the tracking it said delivered to "Greenfield Ind" I live in NE.  I contacted the seller and so far I have received 3 messages that they would resend. The first one had the same tracking number as the pkg that went to Greenville. The seller said "trust me" you will get it." So far I have not received it and I am now getting messages from ebay that it was delivered even though I spoke to them and told them what is happening. (And this is the 2nd time this has happened to me. fedex stated it is a scam started on ebay) This will cause a lot of people to stop using ebay. After 20 years I am seriously thinking of going somewhere else if they do not do something about this.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

The last two items I ordered from eBay had this same thing happen and the tracking showed they were delivered one to CA and one to MA and I live in the middle of MO!

I am never buying from eBay again!  PayPal got my money returned on one large item and looks like I am going to have PayPal get involved on the second item of lesser value.  The seller for the second item even communicated with me the whole time, sent me pictures of his stuff, and offered to add some free items in the package I never received!  He changed from UPS to Fedex for the shipping!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

SHIPPING SCAM

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply