cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revisiting fragile labeling, but for those using PirateShip....

I saw a number of threads here concerning using USPS's Fragile & Special Handling labels. Most posts were talking about the Fragile labels within eBay shipping.

I use Pirate Ship. I also use my own red labels that say "Fragile" and "Handle With Care". (I also saw a post saying that USPS has gotten rid of their Yellow labels, so that apparently is a moot point anyway.) So this Pirate Ship context is my basis for my question.

I will start by saying that in one of the prior threads, tedster99 made a great statement: "Take the time to really package items securely. It will sometimes cost more to ship, there's no way around that. If you're comfortable throwing the package down a flight of stairs or off the roof of your house, that's about right." I have always tried to package my stuff that way.

I also recognize that there is a large percentage of work at the distribution centers that is automated for packages. Machines are not going to say, "Oh, I better handle this better" because of a sticker. And in truth, many humans handling these packages don't give a flying rip about fragile stickers being on a package.

That said, I think there re still a large percentage of carriers who are very responsible when they see Fragile on a package. That is why I still want to use the labels.

All that to ask this.....is there ANY condition where slapping a red "Fragile Handle with Care" on a package causes me to incur additional charges?

Thanks! Also, there is an excellent article here (https://www.eseller365.com/usps-ended-special-handling-fragile-service/). Much of the article reiterates that the first line of defense for packages is for them to be packed well. Thanks in advance for all helpful responses!

Webs

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

There is no "Fragile" or "Handle with Care" bins. It's all handled the same and goes into the same bins, conveyors, trucks, etc. 

As mentioned, package very carefully. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

There is no "Fragile" or "Handle with Care" bins. It's all handled the same and goes into the same bins, conveyors, trucks, etc. 

As mentioned, package very carefully. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@websight.2020 wrote:

I saw a number of threads here concerning using USPS's Fragile & Special Handling labels. Most posts were talking about the Fragile labels within eBay shipping.

I use Pirate Ship. I also use my own red labels that say "Fragile" and "Handle With Care". (I also saw a post saying that USPS has gotten rid of their Yellow labels, so that apparently is a moot point anyway.) So this Pirate Ship context is my basis for my question.

I will start by saying that in one of the prior threads, tedster99 made a great statement: "Take the time to really package items securely. It will sometimes cost more to ship, there's no way around that. If you're comfortable throwing the package down a flight of stairs or off the roof of your house, that's about right." I have always tried to package my stuff that way.

I also recognize that there is a large percentage of work at the distribution centers that is automated for packages. Machines are not going to say, "Oh, I better handle this better" because of a sticker. And in truth, many humans handling these packages don't give a flying rip about fragile stickers being on a package.

That said, I think there re still a large percentage of carriers who are very responsible when they see Fragile on a package. That is why I still want to use the labels.

All that to ask this.....is there ANY condition where slapping a red "Fragile Handle with Care" on a package causes me to incur additional charges?

Thanks! Also, there is an excellent article here (https://www.eseller365.com/usps-ended-special-handling-fragile-service/). Much of the article reiterates that the first line of defense for packages is for them to be packed well. Thanks in advance for all helpful responses!

Webs

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

fragils_stamper_1815415.jpg

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I roll with, "package the item to avoid possible damage". Just do the job upfront.

On some of the heavier items I ship, I don't want the carrier person to be surprised when they pick something up so I label the package in 4 to 6 places with:

34 LBS. PLEASE DO NOT DROP using a 36 font.  

I just don't want them to drop it. If it makes it's way on a conveyor or whatever, it is the package that is crushing the other packages.

Same with the lighter packages like 4, 6, 8 lbs. I make sure my packages are the ones doing the damage in shipment.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@websight.2020 wrote: ... All that to ask this.....is there ANY condition where slapping a red "Fragile Handle with Care" on a package causes me to incur additional charges? ...

No.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

‎10-17-2023 03:50 AM

@websight.2020 wrote: ... All that to ask this.....is there ANY condition where slapping a red "Fragile Handle with Care" on a package causes me to incur additional charges? ...

According to the instructions from the USPS about the "Special handling - fragile" labels, either the presence of the USPS label 875 or markings on the package with the same or similar wording:

'Label 875 or the markings “Special Handling — Fragile” or “S.H.—Fragile,” '

are supposed to trigger the special handling (which is putting a warning placard on the package when it is put into the handling machines).

If the package gets the special handling because of your sticker, then it may get the surcharge as well. You could probably appeal the charge, if that happens, since your label has different wording.

UPDATE:

I just found an announcement from USPS saying that the use of the Special Handling - Fragile label 875 was discontinued as of July 10, 2022. So there should not be any upcharge since then, or any special handling provided either:

(Love the title of that link. Deliberate choice of words?)

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The counter person at my local PO used to ask if there was anything "fragile, liquid or hazardous" in my package. I'd say no but really, a cinder block is fragile if you have a sledge hammer. Kind of a moot point.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

LOL....Gotta love it!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply