cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Request

Hi

I have received a returns request for a set of second hand headphones that the buyer has admitted worked perfectly for a month then stopped working.

I know they were fine and as the buyer has admitted they were fine for a month do I have to issue a refund?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Return Request

eBay's money-back guarantee is only for 30 days.  The buyer cannot make a claim through eBay, and you don't have to worry about a refund through eBay.

Paypal, however, has a much more generous time frame they'll allow refunds (if the payment came through PP, of course).

I'd still keep those messages stating the headphones were fine for a month.  Even if they try for a refund through PP, you can use it/them for your case.

~M

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Return Request

eBay's money-back guarantee is only for 30 days.  The buyer cannot make a claim through eBay, and you don't have to worry about a refund through eBay.

Paypal, however, has a much more generous time frame they'll allow refunds (if the payment came through PP, of course).

I'd still keep those messages stating the headphones were fine for a month.  Even if they try for a refund through PP, you can use it/them for your case.

~M

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

It depends, has it been over 30 days since they received it? If so, typically you can deny those requests unless your return policy says otherwise. If you can deny it, I would and block that buyer and hope they don't open a SNAD in PayPal (which is good for 180 days) or do a credit card charge back.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

Thanks for that, the buyer actually gave me excellent feedback. Which they would not have done if the goods were fefective.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

It is over 30 days, but ebay only give you options to refund, partial refund or message the buyer.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

@dazrob239 wrote:

Thanks for that, the buyer actually gave me excellent feedback. Which they would not have done if the goods were fefective.

Meaningless, and eBay will tell you so.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

Actually it has been 30 days since the buyer received the goods. I think this buyer is being very devious.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

@dazrob239 wrote:

It is over 30 days, but ebay only give you options to refund, partial refund or message the buyer.

Then there is something wrong. Either it hasn't been 30 since they RECEIVED it or something else. If you are sure its over 30 days since they received it, you'll have to call eBay and have that closed. Do NOT let that case timeout.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

Really? That's crazy, so ebay think we all give good reviews when we receive defective goods? No point in having reveiws if they are meaningless.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

@dazrob239 wrote:

Actually it has been 30 days since the buyer received the goods. I think this buyer is being very devious.

Ah, there's the answer. Well, you only have 3 choices. The headphones most likely work, they just don't want them anymore or they found them cheaper. I couldn't find the item so I don't know how much were talking here money wise, but if its something like expensive beats I would say return for refund myself.  Anything else is up to you.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

Definately 30 days today. I will call ebay and get it closed. Thanks

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

@dazrob239 wrote:

Really? That's crazy, so ebay think we all give good reviews when we receive defective goods? No point in having reveiws if they are meaningless.

Ebay will say that the buyer gave the wrong feedback to the wrong seller. They say that ALL the time.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

@dazrob239 wrote:

Definately 30 days today. I will call ebay and get it closed. Thanks

They won't close it on day 30. You're stuck with a refund unless you can get the buyer to admit in eBay messages that its truly buyers remorse. You can ask leading questions like, "Dear Buyer, Can you please explain why you don't like the head phones" and hope he falls for it and tells the truth and not that they are broken.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

BTW, buyers open SNAD claims ALL THE TIME on eBay to avoid paying return shipping. Your best protection against them is having a "No Returns" policy. If you have ANY return policy, eBay will force the return (at your expense). Like I said, I don't know how expensive these headphones were, nor do I know what was your stated return policy.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Return Request

Thanks for all your help on this. I will try what you said. I do have a no returns policy.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply