cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund for item and postage to return item requested from buyer

Customer bought my wine glass, then requested another photo of it standing up which I sent. Then asked how tall glass was and I apologized for not adding it to my original post. I shipped the item to her and today she is requesting a refund including postage because my measurement was off 1/4-1/2". Does anyone know of a reason why such a sm difference should cause such a huge problem? Her reason is ... Item not as described. My post stated returns accepted, buyer pays postage! Which I feel is unreasonable and very nicely said so. Either way I have a negative response on my profile. Any insight, suggestions or info you can share would be appreciated! Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Possibly buying 1 glass to complete a set would make a difference to some.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If the buyer files an Item Not As Described, you will be paying for the return shipping if you want the glass back.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@kelley3354 wrote:

Customer bought my wine glass, then requested another photo of it standing up which I sent. Then asked how tall glass was and I apologized for not adding it to my original post. I shipped the item to her and today she is requesting a refund including postage because my measurement was off 1/4-1/2". Does anyone know of a reason why such a sm difference should cause such a huge problem? Her reason is ... Item not as described. My post stated returns accepted, buyer pays postage! Which I feel is unreasonable and very nicely said so. Either way I have a negative response on my profile. Any insight, suggestions or info you can share would be appreciated! Thank you!

Because it doesn't match their existing glasses.

If the item is Not as Described (and it is INAD because the measurements were wrong), the buyer is covered by the MBG.  Seller always pays return shipping on INAD returns.

If you will be selling more stemware ... the measurements that need to be in the listing should be:

Height

Rim Diameter (across the top of the glass)

Fluid capacity (measured with a measuring cup ... fill the glass to the rim and pour into the measuring cup and say "xx fluid ounces to the rim")

These measurements need to be exact... A Water Goblet may hold 10 fluid ounces and be the same height as a Wine Glass that only holds 8 Fluid Ounces .... the difference being in the diameter of the bowl

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You're blaming the wrong buyer.  Your neg is for the kitty figurine.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

You're blaming the wrong buyer.  Your neg is for the kitty figurine.

Morning Kat 😉

OP is discussing a return request for IN AD ... 

Edit ... you are right ... there are 2 different issues in the OP's post.

Different buyer.

Return on the Wine Glass ... neg on the figurine 😉

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

As someone who's been there as a buyer. 

Bad measurements are a huge pet peeve of mine and cause for so many times I chose not to buy something. 

A ruler has more marks that full and half inches. Do you see those marks even between quarter inches? Use them.

1) many patterns (like American or Candlewick) were made for decades. Molds broke, got changed etc. If I have 7 that are 6 7/8" tall. I want a match. I do not want a 7 1/4" glass. I don't want a 6 3/4" glass.  I want a match. Especially since they sit next to each other in the cabinet in the dining room. 

2) different glasses are different sizes. It can be hard to tell from a photo wich glass you're looking at. Is it the white wine glass or the water goblet? The white wine glass is 7" tall. The water goblet is 7 1/8" tall. I have a full set of the water goblet but need the wine glass.......

3) My biggest peeve of all with glassware. They're not all "wine" glasses. Manufacturers make 4 or 5 sizes almost always. I can't think of a current stemware line that doesn't have a wine glass and a water glass. So often in a photo with no reference they all look the same. Get them home next to each other and they are obvious. But it never fails, there's a pic. The title says "wine glass" and there's no size. I've had sellers get rude with me for asking. I've seen people list "wine glass" when they have a pic of the price sticker that clearly says "all purpose goblet". If you go to the maker's website they have a wine glass, a water glass, an all purpose goblet and a oversized red wine........

https://www.replacements.com/webquote/watvin.htm notice there are, what 2 dozen different glasses? a wine - red / light is 8 5/8" and a  wine-red is 8 3/4"? 2 totally different glasses.

Now, let's say you're not even dealing with someone trying to buy the light red wine and not the red wine, but just someone who has a set of what they think of as "wine glasses" they actually have the wine - red but you are selling the wine - red / light. They know they need an 8 3/4" glass so they ask and you say your glass is 8 3/4" so they buy. They get a totally different glass, which they would have known had you properly measured.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

And I have left bad feedback for someone who couldn't be bothered with the actual measurements. I bought a frame and then bought a print to put in it. My frame was 24 x 36. 

I got a 22 5/8" print. Guess what? in the frame it didn't fit. I had to go to the expense of buying a mat. it cost me like $20 bucks. Not happy and he got the bad feedback.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Aside from trying to match existing items, it may matter on which way the measurement if off.  I have some close fitting display cabinets for glassware and 1/2" too tall might not fit.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply