cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Office Insurance Will not Pay for Lost Items

Be careful shipping valuable items with Post Office. I recommend FedEx or UPS.  The post office denied a LOST ITEM CLAIM because I do not have the original receipt.  The eBay transaction screen shot does NOT provide proof of the value.  So, if you sold a t-shirt from the 1970's, you have to have the receipt.  If the t-shirt sold for $55 on ebay, it does not matter.  The claim will be denied and there is NO phone number where you can reach someone. The appeal process will not work, and you will simply have lost your money.  

Consider it the cost of doing business OR ship FedEx/UPS.   Just be careful if you are a small time seller or if you are scraping by.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

You don't need the receipt for the t-shirt. You need a screenshot showing the refund you sent the buyer through eBay.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I had a lost package claim with USPS and for the value of the claim, they accepted the information from ebay (and at the time, PP) showing the listing, payment, fees, etc. 

Understand that they do all in their power to avoid paying a claim but if you become a big enough pain in their butt and submit the evidence, they do eventually pay out.  

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

For a power seller, it is the cost of doing business, but for the small operator, be careful.  Buy insurance through a third party, such as Pirate Ship.  Post office has changed the way they do business.  My claim denied because they want an actual purchase receipt was is impossible. They know it.

The eBay screen shot of payment did not help. It is a false sense of security to think you have insurance and you don't. Luckily, the lost item was only about $60.  I went through Paypal to file a claim for the $14 shipping that was charged by USPS.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Can't speak for your experience. I have NEVER had the USPS refuse a copy of an eBay order as proof of value for any insurance claim. I have been on eBay for over 20 years.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Yes, on ebay for 20+ years. Average post office bill is $10K annually.  Maybe one claim every 24 months.

I've looked at other forums and it is a new problem with claims. Truly just warning people that are trying to make a few bucks.  To lose $60 for me is just another day.  I can recover.  Also, it is the dishonesty that bothers me from our own USA postal service.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@originaltexan wrote:

Yes, on ebay for 20+ years. Average post office bill is $10K annually.  Maybe one claim every 24 months.

I've looked at other forums and it is a new problem with claims. Truly just warning people that are trying to make a few bucks.  To lose $60 for me is just another day.  I can recover.  Also, it is the dishonesty that bothers me from our own USA postal service.

A PDF of the order meets all the USPS requirements for proof of value. Shows seller info, buyer info, transaction date, amounts paid for item and shipping, description of item etc., tracking number...

eBay transaction report may need additional information to meet USPS requirements as it lacks some details.

I have also seen other posts with similar claims of proof of value denial by sellers submitting everything but the easily available PDF of the order.  Just wondering how many claims where USPS is rejecting a PDF of the order as proof of value (I have never seen it)?

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Losing trust in the Post Office is major. I just filed a formal complaint with the Office of the Inspector General.  Easily found on web search.  So if claim agents are making up their own policies, I hope it is discovered. If there are directives being followed, I hope it is discovered.

Priority mail advertises everywhere, even on TV, that there is insurance.  When you go to claim, it is denied. My case was super easy. Lost item.

Unacceptable.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

You do not have a receipt. I save all my receipts from the USPS so I can deduct them at end of year....especially this year since we do not know if we have a limit of $600. or whatever in regards to 1099K form. I have never had a package lost with USPS, FedEx or UPS. It does state you need a receipt to file a claim with the USPS on the internet. No insurance but you can claim shipping refund. Did the tracking number actually state "lost "or is buyer claiming never received?

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

The item is completely lost in transit, and that point is not contested. Tracking shows one location scan many weeks ago, and the item is NOT delivered.  The post office has denied my claim twice even though I provided screen shots.  They want actual receipts which is impossible.  The item is about 10 pounds of costume jewelry and sold for $42.00. Cheap item.  Priority is supposed to be automatic $100 coverage. However, when the claim is denied, they want to see receipts for the items.  I am guessing there are over  300 unique items in this lot and it is impossible to provide receipts.  I have also provided screen shots of the actual ebay sale.

There is no phone number to reach claims.

My advices stands.  If you are shipping, buy the insurance through a third party that has a phone number or a way to communicate.  If you are big, none of this really matters and you can write the loss off. I am not that big and every penny counts.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Jamestamps,  it is impossible to provide the original receipt on many things, such as a concert shirt from the 1970's.  Here is an example, let's say that you paid $5 for the shirt and it sold for $200 on ebay, then you MIGHT get your $5 back, but your sale of $200 is simply not a factor.  Even if you insured the item for $200, too bad.  You will have paid insurance for no reason.   You will either be denied the claim or refunded $5.

I am writing this to help people that rely upon sales or have a very expensive item.

My average annual  post office bill is close to $10,000 a year. I know what I am talking about.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I also got the same denial letter from USPS for a lost item.  8-11-2023.  I sent in screen shots and PDFs for every transaction page.  10 screen shots.  I make "custom" orders, from vinyl, there is no proof of value, only what the buyer paid.  Those photos were sent also.  Photos of item and the price,  PDF of my store name with full packing slip receipt.  Denied.  I do not buy items then resell them.  I will be changing insurance, as some of my orders are quite expensive and take hours to make.  That is my business, so anything that gets lost or damaged would not be covered with USPS insurance at all.   This is the denial letter. 

USPS appeal letter.jpg

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

i dont get insurance on any package i send. i assume the amount i save by not getting it will cover the rare occasion when something gets lost or damaged.

also part of why i sell on ebay is to not have to deal with people so if a package gets lost i dont want to have to deal with trying to get insurance claim approved. 

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@lukdudle wrote:

i dont get insurance on any package i send. i assume the amount i save by not getting ...

USPS now includes $100 of insurance coverage on all Priority Mail and Ground Advantage packages.  That leaves Media Mail as the only uninsured packages.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Confused.

The original sales receipt is my eBay Order receipt showing what the BUYER paid for my item.

What I originally paid has nothing to do with the value of the item as sold on eBay (unless you are dealing with the IRS and not the USPS). My insured value has always been what is shown on my order receipt and has never been denied by the USPS.

I have never had a USPS claim denied when providing the eBay paid Order receipt. When I have seen messages about USPS denials it seems to include people sending everything but the paid eBay order receipt.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply