cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packing and Shipping Tips from Sellers

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Recently, the podcast team had a great conversation about handy tips that were posted on the eBay for Business Facebook page. The topics included tips for packaging, supplies, organization, and how to show professionalism in your shipping. You can listen to the podcast here or read about the tips below, straight from Facebook.

Packaging:

Marilena Celii L.

Use foam pool noodles to ship coffee mugs. Cut a piece the height of mug. Slit open one side, slide over handle. Then wrap in bubble wrap and ship.

Karen C.

We use the noodles for all kinds of items. I sell a lot of vintage bone China and porcelain miniatures. The noodles are perfect for them! When shipping bowls, split a section of a noodle and place around the rim of the bowl. Plates the same. All kinds of great ways to pack with noodles.

Desiree G.

Pool noodles are great for shipping. They are very versatile but we mostly use them when shipping framed art. We slit them down one side and wrap it around the frame, then we used shipping plastic or plastic wrap around the face and back of the artwork. That keeps the glass floated safely. We have gotten a lot of compliments about the creativity of our shipping methods and haven't had any art arrive damaged.

Lisa S.

When I'm in need of box filler I create air pillows by blowing up zip lock bags with a straw and sealing them with my food saver machine. Super easy, lightweight and inexpensive.

Nancy B.

For every pkg, I put a layer of crunched newsprint, then bubble wrap the item (i sell mostly breakable stuff), place it in the middle, then i put more paper in snug all around it & then put paper on top. I add an ebay thank you note, personally signed, and also add a business card offering them a discount on all future purchases. In 1.5 yrs, i've only had 2 items break & one of those was a wooden item which was a freak accident by the post office. So this way works well for me. 😊

Penny C.

I usually ship breakables so I pack them with the understanding that the USPS will drop them, shake them, kick them, throw them, step on them, etc. I don't get angry with the post office employees, I pack my items so they can not break my stuff.

Tracy R.

Protect DVD's in cardboard by making a cardboard slipcover out of Free boxes from Aldis or other stores. For a regular DVD case cut the cardboard 14" x 8" and put the dvd on the edge of the short end of the cardboard and roll it across bending the cardboard at every edge of the dvd. Fold the last inch over to completely enclose it so that every edge of the dvd is covered. Slip in the packing slip with a nice Thank You stamp or ebay thank you note😃tape the packing slip on the cardboard before slipping into the bubblemailer. This same method can be adjusted for cd's, books and vhs.

Cathy L B.

Use cardboard paper towel and toilet tissue rolls to protect things that fit into them such as legs and arms of dolls

Jessica P.

When I used to work for online order fulfillment, the rule was that nothing could move around in the box. I agree with everyone who’s been saying that on here!

Shaun R.

Pack every package so your 240lb body can stand on it and make zero dents in the box. 7000+ sales and only 1 damaged because it looks like a semi ran over a 4' long box and had tire tracks on it.

Lynn E.

Fold clothing and package in a cello bag before packaging. The item will look much nicer when your buyer receives it! I hate getting clothing that’s just tossed into a bag or box.

Supplies:

Griff: Our next group of tips are about packing supplies;

Leslie F.

Over estimate what you need prior to the holidays, especially USPS Priority boxes

Alissa Z.

Get a nice box resizer and you can trim down boxes to reduce items’ movement inside AND of course to cut down shipping weight by trimming excess cardboard. (I got an awesome box resizer from Garage Flips!)

Clark W.

My best advice for packing is to know how you’re going to ship an item before you list it and have all of the shipping supplies on hand. There’s nothing worse than selling an item during the holidays only to find that you don’t have a box to ship it in and/or it’s going to cost more than you thought to ship it because of the box dimensions or weight.

Heather R.

Reorder packing supplies before you run out (I should take my own advice)

Lauren U.

My neighbor is a huge online shopper. Most of my boxes come from her.

Stu G.

I buy sheet cardboard and custom make my own boxes. They fit perfectly, reduce packing material, ship more securely. It takes less time than filling voids.

Jenny E.

USPS has free priority boxes and envelopes

Organization/Operations/Shipping Station:

Griff: Now we’ll focus on tips about Staying Organized!

Amy Brookbank B.

Use an ironing board as a packing table for small items. Adjustable height will save your back!

Anca P.

Ship quickly! Having a well-organized shipping station makes packing very easy. If it ships in a box add a candy 🙂

[she included a photo of her shipping station]

Jeffrey C. R.

Save and breakdown all boxes you receive in the mail, for reuse- stack them vertically to optimize storage in the meantime.

Raymond S.

Invest in a gummed tape dispenser. Once you've used gummed tape, you'll never want to go back to plastic tape. They're pricey new...$325, but you can pick them up on our favorite platform <<<eBay>>> used for between $100-$200. The tape is stronger, and doesn't peel off in the cold like some plastic tapes can. It's cost effective too because you don't have to tape a heavy box with a gazillion layers. Often times commercial auction sites (like Grafe...just google it) liquidating commercial and industrial spaces will list them. I have five of them...all purchased on eBay...some over 60 years old...they are simple machines and practically indestructible 😃

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

I am not only a eBayer but also a Mail Carrier. 

One point, Make sure your item can't shift within the box. Voids allow the item to beat it's self against the inside of the box and voids also allow the box to be crushed by outside forces.

Labels. Do Not place labels with information or the barcode over the junction of box flaps. This area can buckle and or be a rub point which can damage the information. Instead if the box is too small and it has to be over this point orient it so this is covered by a blank area. 

Also if you use an ink jet printer put clear tape over the entire (yes including barcode) label as a raindrop or even melting snow can blur the information needed to get your package to the right location and to get your all important delivery scan.

Message 2 of 68
latest reply

I use clear tape to cover every address. If the value is higher I also print the address in large font and paste it next to the shipping label. Just in case the small address gets damaged. Also it is easier for the letter carrier to not to 'misread' the letters or numbers and misdeliver the package.

On all international shipments I also print the address in large font and tape it (and the label) over with transparent tape. This makes sure that the bar code is legible and can be scanned,  as well as the return address. Just got back one order from abroad, the return address street was smudged and it was delivered to me only because the local PO knows me by name. (used them for 20 years)

Also, I take photos of all my packages on the electronic scale to have a proof of their weight. This already helped me to easily win 3 cases where PO made a claim that the package was heavier than I indicated.

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

Many ebay sellers   think   they pack very well when , in fact, they do not.

Message 4 of 68
latest reply

many buyers also think that they buy a moon, sellers are human, even seller pack very well, carrier play vital role how they carry packages no matter how sellers pack. its a whole cycle. during holiday season carries are overload and they kept throwing the packages even though you label it fragile.

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

Paper items - Sellers please, please, PLEASE sandwich those items between heavy corrugated cardboard and overwrap with plastic wrap. Please don't send that 100 year old booklet in a plain envelope with no protection.  Many times the end result is not pretty.  It's very disheartening to receive a $50 piece of paper that's wet and/or torn because you mailed it unprotected in a manila envelope. 

If you have multiple items in a lot to ship, PLEASE put them in a zip bag and put them IN A BOX, and don't use Media Mail. Individual paper items don't qualify for MM, and lots don't qualify for MM if there are items in the lot that don't qualify. I see this A LOT when buying paper.  Yes, that sheet music qualifies, but the old advertisements or that old magazine does not.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 68
latest reply

All these tips and no mention of needing to fill hollow spaces in cookie jars, temple jars,, fragile vases, compotes, punch bowls, crystal, etc. with packing material before you wrap it with bubble wrap. Coffee cups, too. And stuff tissue paper in spouts. Electronics and fragile items need to be double boxed. Priority is better for breakable. Less people handle it and it doesn't  go across country on bumpy roads. Our infastruction of roads is in bad condition in some states. 

I see bad advice.  Won't  insurance deny a claim if they used newspaper for packing? Crushed newspaper doesn't absorb shock like packing peanuts or foam pieces. Have seen many posts about claim was denied for insufficient packing.  

In fact my very first post here was because one of my first items sold was a supposedly "unbreakable "resin figurine I wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded it with balls of crushed paper. Nothing shook in the box. It arrived with the head broken off.  Insurance was denied for insufficient packing.  I refunded and let her keep it. The great people in here gave me a crash course on packaging and shipping. Package it like it's going to be the ball in a football play. Package it to survive falling off the truck or down a flight of stairs.

Message 7 of 68
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

I see bad advice.  Won't  insurance deny a claim if they used newspaper for packing? Crushed newspaper doesn't absorb shock like packing peanuts or foam pieces. Have seen many posts about claim was denied for insufficient packing.  

Crumpled newspaper is LOUSY void fill. It compresses down even smaller as the package moves along, and loses any cushioning effect it may have had. If you're going to use newspaper as void fill, you might as well throw the darn thing in an empty box.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 68
latest reply

@nuvistors wrote:

Many ebay sellers   think   they pack very well when , in fact, they do not.

Not limited to eBay. Some big names pack terribly.

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

...yes, indeed...

...talking about Target...

Message 10 of 68
latest reply

I have gotten a lot of items that were placed on the bottom of the box with all the packaging on the top of the item. Be sure your item rides in the center of the box with packaging around all sides.

Newspaper is heavy - not a good choice because you need to keep your packages lightweight.

Anything paper or fabric should be protected in a zip lock or other plastic in case your package is dropped into a puddle or sits out in the rain. 

I save Any and All Styrofoam like if I get a toaster or something and cut it to fit around my items. Yes, it's a real mess! 

Some packages need to be taped along all open edges - to prevent getting caught on machinery. 

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

I used plastic bag from shopping filling the voids.

Message 12 of 68
latest reply

@bbravo65 wrote:

...yes, indeed...

...talking about Target...

Amazon. One of my reoccurring purchases is packs of 3mil poly sleaves for LP records. A pack of 100 are roughly 12"x12"x1/2", they will put them in a huge box (last one was 24"x18"x5" and add one air pillow. It is such a waste this is actually something they could just slap a label on and send as is. Mind I have had BREAKABLES shipped in the same way from Amazon. Recently a new air pump for my Jeep because the old one got increadably hot the last time I used it. I also ordered a larger size Eye Candy mica powder in a color I LOVE (its called Karummetou),(dark brown with some bronze undertones) to do a large tabletop.  I'm glad I like the color because the canvas case the air pump stores in is no longer black, but a shimmery bronze brown.

Message 13 of 68
latest reply

sheila@ebay wrote:

Recently, the podcast team had a great conversation about handy tips that were posted on the eBay for Business Facebook page. The topics included tips for packaging, supplies, organization, and how to show professionalism in your shipping. You can listen to the podcast here or read about the tips below, straight from Facebook.

Packaging:

Marilena Celii L.

Use foam pool noodles to ship coffee mugs. Cut a piece the height of mug. Slit open one side, slide over handle. Then wrap in bubble wrap and ship.

Karen C.

We use the noodles for all kinds of items. I sell a lot of vintage bone China and porcelain miniatures. The noodles are perfect for them! When shipping bowls, split a section of a noodle and place around the rim of the bowl. Plates the same. All kinds of great ways to pack with noodles.

Desiree G.

Pool noodles are great for shipping. They are very versatile but we mostly use them when shipping framed art. We slit them down one side and wrap it around the frame, then we used shipping plastic or plastic wrap around the face and back of the artwork. That keeps the glass floated safely. We have gotten a lot of compliments about the creativity of our shipping methods and haven't had any art arrive damaged.

Lisa S.

When I'm in need of box filler I create air pillows by blowing up zip lock bags with a straw and sealing them with my food saver machine. Super easy, lightweight and inexpensive.

Nancy B.

For every pkg, I put a layer of crunched newsprint, then bubble wrap the item (i sell mostly breakable stuff), place it in the middle, then i put more paper in snug all around it & then put paper on top. I add an ebay thank you note, personally signed, and also add a business card offering them a discount on all future purchases. In 1.5 yrs, i've only had 2 items break & one of those was a wooden item which was a freak accident by the post office. So this way works well for me. 😊

Penny C.

I usually ship breakables so I pack them with the understanding that the USPS will drop them, shake them, kick them, throw them, step on them, etc. I don't get angry with the post office employees, I pack my items so they can not break my stuff.

Tracy R.

Protect DVD's in cardboard by making a cardboard slipcover out of Free boxes from Aldis or other stores. For a regular DVD case cut the cardboard 14" x 8" and put the dvd on the edge of the short end of the cardboard and roll it across bending the cardboard at every edge of the dvd. Fold the last inch over to completely enclose it so that every edge of the dvd is covered. Slip in the packing slip with a nice Thank You stamp or ebay thank you note😃tape the packing slip on the cardboard before slipping into the bubblemailer. This same method can be adjusted for cd's, books and vhs.

Cathy L B.

Use cardboard paper towel and toilet tissue rolls to protect things that fit into them such as legs and arms of dolls

Jessica P.

When I used to work for online order fulfillment, the rule was that nothing could move around in the box. I agree with everyone who’s been saying that on here!

Shaun R.

Pack every package so your 240lb body can stand on it and make zero dents in the box. 7000+ sales and only 1 damaged because it looks like a semi ran over a 4' long box and had tire tracks on it.

Lynn E.

Fold clothing and package in a cello bag before packaging. The item will look much nicer when your buyer receives it! I hate getting clothing that’s just tossed into a bag or box.

Supplies:

Griff: Our next group of tips are about packing supplies;

Leslie F.

Over estimate what you need prior to the holidays, especially USPS Priority boxes

Alissa Z.

Get a nice box resizer and you can trim down boxes to reduce items’ movement inside AND of course to cut down shipping weight by trimming excess cardboard. (I got an awesome box resizer from Garage Flips!)

Clark W.

My best advice for packing is to know how you’re going to ship an item before you list it and have all of the shipping supplies on hand. There’s nothing worse than selling an item during the holidays only to find that you don’t have a box to ship it in and/or it’s going to cost more than you thought to ship it because of the box dimensions or weight.

Heather R.

Reorder packing supplies before you run out (I should take my own advice)

Lauren U.

My neighbor is a huge online shopper. Most of my boxes come from her.

Stu G.

I buy sheet cardboard and custom make my own boxes. They fit perfectly, reduce packing material, ship more securely. It takes less time than filling voids.

Jenny E.

USPS has free priority boxes and envelopes

Organization/Operations/Shipping Station:

Griff: Now we’ll focus on tips about Staying Organized!

Amy Brookbank B.

Use an ironing board as a packing table for small items. Adjustable height will save your back!

Anca P.

Ship quickly! Having a well-organized shipping station makes packing very easy. If it ships in a box add a candy 🙂

[she included a photo of her shipping station]

Jeffrey C. R.

Save and breakdown all boxes you receive in the mail, for reuse- stack them vertically to optimize storage in the meantime.

Raymond S.

Invest in a gummed tape dispenser. Once you've used gummed tape, you'll never want to go back to plastic tape. They're pricey new...$325, but you can pick them up on our favorite platform <<<eBay>>> used for between $100-$200. The tape is stronger, and doesn't peel off in the cold like some plastic tapes can. It's cost effective too because you don't have to tape a heavy box with a gazillion layers. Often times commercial auction sites (like Grafe...just google it) liquidating commercial and industrial spaces will list them. I have five of them...all purchased on eBay...some over 60 years old...they are simple machines and practically indestructible 😃

Actually in reply to Raymond S.

Amazon uses the gummed tape and it fails A LOT !!! Seriously there isn't a day goes by that I'm not retaping the  boxes sealed with this tape so things don't fall out before I deliver the package.  We have picked up Amazon packages from the pallet only to have the bottom come open and dump the contents all over the floor.  Also on rainy damp days I have had them come loose while I am driving my mail route.  A good quality clear packing and shipping tape is much better that the gummed paper tape.

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

...pack your sold item as you pack yours...

...I always make sure that my box won't make any noise when I shake it...it has to be very solid...

...spending a lot of money for packing materials like bubble wraps and sealed air inflatable bags for stuffing...

...trying the best if I could...

Message 15 of 68
latest reply