cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package Not Scanned

I dropped 2 packages 2 days ago and USPS didn't scan both 😞

I'm worried about defects. If both packages were scanned at delivery and on time, won't I get a defect? If arrive late, I'll get a defect?

If never arrive and the buyer opens a Request "hasn't received this yet", if I give a Full Refund, won't I get a defect? Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Package Not Scanned

Always try to get your parcels or scan sheet scanned when dropping off the parcels at the USPS or giving it to your USPS carrier. That way, you're assured a scan from the onset and don't have to worry about the ontime shipping scan. When you drop things off without the scan, you truly depend on the USPS employees to scan all the parcels at the USPS center & unfortunately some will depart without a scan. Then, you hope its scanned at a sorting or distribution center. Another possibility is that the scans have been tardy to upload & will eventually show an ontime scan for you. However if that happens & the first scan isn't until much later at some other point, ebay could see it as a tardy scan for your on-time shipping metric.

What type of handling time are you offering?

Regardless, good luck!!! I hope you see an uploaded scan very soon!!!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Package Not Scanned

If they get delivered on time, you'll be fine. Here's what eBay says:

Late shipment rates are determined by the percentage of transactions that you sent after the handling time stated in your listing or that were not delivered by the estimated delivery date.

We'll only consider a shipment late if:

• Tracking shows the item was delivered after the estimated delivery date, unless there's an acceptance scan within your dispatch time or there's confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery
  • The buyer confirms the item was delivered after the estimated delivery date, unless there's an acceptance scan within your handling time or there's delivery confirmation by the estimated delivery date

I had a recent one going CA to NC. Was not scanned at my PO or the processing center, but was scanned when it reached NC (4 days via parcel post!).

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Package Not Scanned

I dropped 2 packages 2 days ago and USPS didn't scan both.

The above replies are correct and i would add that a lot of USPS places do have a shipping Kiosk in the lobbies for customers to print and pay for labels. This Kiosk also has the ability to scan your prepaid labels before you put them in the mail Bin. The touch screen has a menu that will have a scan labels as part of it. 

Not all USPS locations have this Kiosk but a lot of them do. Keep an eye out for it and if the line is too long to wait to have a rep scan the items, this is a good alternative to show it was dropped off. Just make sure you put the items in the drop box after scanning. 

On another note, your items may be in transit and have not been scanned. Over the last few weeks i have noticed that Medial Mail and First Class mail (generally) does not get scanned locally (when dropped off in Bin) and will eventually start tracking when it gets to a hub or another location. 

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Package Not Scanned

When I take packages to the PO I always get a scan receipt. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Package Not Scanned

Lots of good and accurate advice here. I think the local PO here is really good, but once they missed 5 parcels in one lobby drop. Completely missed. They were all finally scanned during transit even up to the time of delivery...so, hopefully, yours will get scanned somewhere along the trip...

I always say hi to the clerks and drop mine off to them for an immediate scan anymore....There is a Pokemon Go Gym so I just play on my phone while standing in line......

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Package Not Scanned

I was at the PO yesterday, talking to the senior clerk.

We got around to why I like to have a printed receipt to go with my scan. 

Although it has only happened to me once, there is always the chance of the PO/eBay coming back for more postage.  With the scanned receipt, I have the weight of the package at original acceptance....so I can dispute the additional charge with evidence (the receipt).

But you know....now that I think about it....maybe I should selectively drop off packages and have the clerk scan only the ones that might be questionable....the rest could be left for scanning later.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Package Not Scanned

Given that your feedback is so low you will need to be careful regarding your metrics. You need to stand in line at the USPS or UPS and get your packages scanned in for now. You don't have enough volume to average out mishaps. You can't fix what has already happened so relax. Ebay may send you an email that says you are below 95% or else. You have a year to bring up that average rate of late shipment before they do anything drastic. They may throttle your traffic to ensure that you can keep up but you don't have anything listed so it doesn't matter. As with anything else bad on Ebay or JUST WORK THROUGH IT. Sell, sell, sell. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply