cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New shipping rates starting May 15

Hi everyone..

I was hoping someone might be able to expalin the new Ebay shipping rate change effctive May 15th.

The discounted shipping rate we get when purchasing labels through ebay, they are now going to list that same discounted rates for the buyers? Thus, the amount we pay for labels is the same the customer is charged??? So....when ebay takes their share of the sale + shipping + taxes.....we make zero gain???? So now selling an item under $15.00 is no longer a benefit? Seriously?? Is it better to purchase shipping labels elsewhere? After being brutalized in taxes recently, I've discovered my small profit pays my electric bill..winter bill at that. Doubled with scammers, I struggle to find the benefit in continuing this venture. Sad... Anyone else? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@beedees192 

Since sellers also have to pay for all their own shipping materials, plus labor & fuel to drive to the shipping carrier, most sellers currently do NOT pass along the eBay shipping discount to the buyer -- instead, the sellers use that discount to counter the cost of shipping materials, labor & fuel.

But eBay would like sellers to give up that discount -- and just swallow the other related, unreimbursed costs of shipping items.

Sorry -- I stopped working for free when I was just a kid.

Opt out when you have the option.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The new shipping rates billing to the customer are only for listings that use the calculated shipping method. Of course, you have the option to opt out. However, you will have to make a business decision about that. 

If you use your own flat rate shipping charge on your listings, then the ebay announcement doesn't affect you at all. 

I hope that helps!

Good luck!!

😎🙏😁✌️

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@beedees192 

Since sellers also have to pay for all their own shipping materials, plus labor & fuel to drive to the shipping carrier, most sellers currently do NOT pass along the eBay shipping discount to the buyer -- instead, the sellers use that discount to counter the cost of shipping materials, labor & fuel.

But eBay would like sellers to give up that discount -- and just swallow the other related, unreimbursed costs of shipping items.

Sorry -- I stopped working for free when I was just a kid.

Opt out when you have the option.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank You

I thought I was loosing my mind as we cover sooooo many expenses and they still want MORE money from us. Hopefully, I'll find that option to opt out. But their email seemed to suggest it wasn't an option.

I greatly appreciate your time in responding to my question.

Happy Selling

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Selling on the platform has turned into a monumental task as there are so many caveats now.

Take care & happy selling

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@beedees192 

The "opt out" process is right there in the message.

just click on it, and proceed.

ETA.................... it does not matter where you purchase the label...............   it isn't about that. It's about what the buyer will pay when it is calculated shipping in the listing.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply