cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ebay Shipping Labels: Free Shipping but Buyer Selects Option

Ebay changed their shipping labels again. I offer free shipping on all my items. Most weight less than 1lbs.

I price my items according to how much freight may cost me.

Why would I list an item for $7.00, that will cost me roughly $3.50 to ship, when the buyer selects priority mail that will clearly cost much more than $7.00.

Do sellers now have to go by what the buyer wants, even though the item is listed as free standard shipping?

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

In some instances the "buyer selected" shipping method is an eBay programming problem.

Often the buyer does not "select" anything.

If you did not have "Priority" as an option eBay selected that for some reason.

One reason is if the size, or weight would not allow 1st Class, or no size was in the listing it may show up as Priority.

You can ship by the method "you selected" when making the listing.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Do sellers now have to go by what the buyer wants, even though the item is listed as free standard shipping? Any thoughts?

Yes.  If you do offer Priority mail and the buyer selects it. Just don't offer Priority mail as an option.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Maybe I am missing something, but the ads I have seen that offer up graded faster better shipping  over free standard shipping, the customer pays for the up grade. ?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I have plenty of thoughts on this,looking at what is offered when you go to print the label is not always the same as what you are offering the buyer in your sale page.I only offer 1st class with the USPS,there is no option for my buyer to choose,they get what I offer them.When you go to print the label it looks like your buyer has made a choice when they did not.

I prefer to keep it simple,real simple, like no choices at all,that is why I charge a flat fee of $5 for all usa shipping

I have never ever used the shipping calculator,many sellers are quite adept at inputting all the various numbers and so forth,on the other hand many people get tripped up with it.

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@jwick15 wrote: ... Why would I list an item for $7.00, that will cost me roughly $3.50 to ship, when the buyer selects priority mail that will clearly cost much more than $7.00....

Has this actually happened? Or are you just worried that it COULD happen, based on seeing that phrase "buyer selected"? If it did already happen, could you please tell us the listing number? Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply