cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never opted in to International shipping, cancelled orders

I have never participated in Ebay International shipping. I had unhappily found out one of the Ebay listing areas that Ebay sneak fills out was the International shipping fields so I was always very careful to check, double check, and re check those fields so I could unselect that option. Now I get two cosmetic orders from a customer. After carefully packaging, taping up, and purchasing the label, I find out that it was sold Internationally by Ebay "opting" me in to ship Internationally. (BLEEP). So this country does not accept cosmetics without a special certificate. So now I cancel and 1. now had to select the only available option of the item was damaged/not in stock (even though it is not and that will result in being dinged by Ebay I hear. 2. now the confused upset buyer can leave neutral or negative feedback at no fault of my own or theirs. 3. I have now purchased a shipping label that is useless and have no idea if I can get refunded. REALLY??

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

If you had shipped, eBay would have covered any issues.  They take care of the paperwork.  If it can’t be shipped to the final destination, eBay let’s you keep the money from the sale and refunds the buyer.  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

1. eBay opted all sellers into EIS and sent out messages and posted announcements. If you're not interested in using eBay International Shipping, click the opt out link on your shipping preferences page and consider setting up international exclusions on that page if your items typically can't be shipped overseas: https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

2. You should have chosen 'problem with buyer's address' to cancel the orders if they could not be imported to the buyer's country. Choosing 'out of stock' got you an account defect.

3. To void an unused USPS shipping label purchased through eBay, go to this page, find the order and select Void from the Actions drop-down. The void option is available for 5 days.

It takes between 2-4 weeks to receive a refund on an unused, voided USPS label. You'll see the refund on your original source of payment (bank, credit card, etc) and the funds will appear in your account without an email notification.

Hope that helps @odd*lovely .

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Oh how I wish there had been an option to select 'problem with buyer's address' but alas, there was not.

To my unhappy surprise, there were only two options. 1. The item was damaged/out of stock. 2. Buyer requests cancellation which I felt was very unfair to the buyer and I have seen community posts where the seller had selected that option because unfairly to the seller also, the address option was not available so the buyer left negatives saying it wasn't true. All around a ridiculous situation.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@odd*lovely wrote:

Oh how I wish there had been an option to select 'problem with buyer's address' but alas, there was not.

Got it. It's possible they disabled problem with address on eIS sales since eIS covers the international leg of the shipment. As posted above, would have better to ship than cancel. If item could not be forwarded overseas eBay would have liquidated the item, refunded the buyer, and you'd keep the sale funds.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I should add there are times eIS hub will return items to seller and seller has to refund buyer, but for $25 cosmetics I'd be surprised if that happened. Usually when they return stuff it's oversized or higher value.

Either way, you now have all the resources you need to opt out if EIS if desired and to set up international exclusions at the account level.

One thing I didn't mention - if you want to stay enrolled in eIS you can set up exclusions at the listing level for things you know can't ship to certain locations (like cosmetics).

eIS blocks most items that can't be shipped to various locations, but the system logic is imperfect so stuff will sometimes slip through like your cosmetics sale.

GLORIOUS!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@odd*lovely  What country does not allow cosmetics? Are they regular cosmetics like makeup?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Another thing you might need to worry about is that there can be two different exchange rates for foreign buyers; the rate they initially pay might be higher than the rate used to refund them, leaving them with a small net loss (and no item to show for it.) If they pay, and the order is canceled (for any reason) they may end up with that loss and the buyer might not be happy about it. I had this happen to me, and I ended up having to refund the difference out of my own pocket to make the buyer (rightfully) whole. Something to keep an eye out for.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

A ban on cosmetics would be rare.  Import

restrictions on certain cosmetics, sure, but best to let eBay manage this process - not play amateur trade compliance officer.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

My item arrived to their shipping hub and then never been sent to the abroad. eBay closed the “item not received" case and one month later deducted the whole amount and international shipping cost from my account. Also kept the selling fee. No result from talking and communication with eBay. They just kept the money because they can.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply