cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to return items, but seller is no longer registered, and their return address is not valid

I bought some items from a seller,  but some of the items were not as described.  I went on eBay to contact the seller, and the seller was no longer registered. I learned that they closed their business for good, were booted from eBay for fraud, no longer have their phones connected, and no longer have a PO Box at The UPS Store, so when I return the items, this seller will NOT receive my returns. This seller knew a month in advance that they were closing their business, per their Facebook posts (I found this out too late), but they didn't state this on their eBay page or auctions. So they left all their buyers with no way to contact them by phone, email, or postal mail. They could have at least kept their return address active for a month or two after their last auction ended to deal with returns. Why would they bail out like this with no more PO Box for returns, since they offered a 30-day money back policy?

I opened the requests on eBay for the returns, and of course the seller didn't respond. So I had to ask eBay to get involved. I spoke with an eBay rep by phone, and she told me to return the items with the prepaid labels. I mentioned that the seller no longer has a PO Box at The UPS Store, and I was told to return the items to the invalid PO Box.

My concerns: What I'm afraid of is if I mail the items back, that I won't receive my refunds. The seller is not going to refund me, because they will not receive the returns. I know that eBay will step in and refund me if the returns show as delivered. But what if the USPS fails to scan the items as delivered? Is it possible that The UPS Store will refuse delivery of my returns? Is there any chance at all that eBay will not refund me for returning the items, if tracking shows that they were not delivered? 

I'm not sure if I believe the eBay rep, but she told me that as long as the packages have been scanned by the USPS -- even if NOT scanned as "delivered" -- that eBay will refund me. However, I thought that in order for eBay to refund a buyer, that tracking must show the return package as "delivered." I've had eBay give me wrong info in the past, so that's why I'm confused and asking for your opinions and help here.

Thank you. I've never dealt with a situation like this in all my years on eBay.

Info from eBay:

What should I do if I sent back an item, but the seller never received it?

We typically allow a little extra time for delivery. After sufficient time has passed, and the seller still hasn't received your returned item, you can ask us to step in and help.

Most returns and refunds go smoothly, but if a seller doesn't issue you a refund, you can ask us to step in and help. Depending on the seller's return method, timelines may differ. We guide you to the correct timing as part of your return request in My eBay, but for reference:

• You can ask us to step in and help if the seller doesn't issue a refund within 6 business days of receiving the returned item, or within 6 business days of the estimated delivery date for the returned item if no tracking is used. You have 10 business days to ask us to step in and help after the seller's time to issue a refund has passed.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Need to return items, but seller is no longer registered, and their return address is not valid

You have to return the items. Monitor the tracking closely; once you see that the package is on its way back to you, or even being held for pickup in the sellers city--CALL customer service, have them track the package and they will issue your refund 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

FYI, sellers can't close their accounts for at least 180 days after their last transaction. They can be banned from ebay by ebay, however.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@takikawa4 wrote:

FYI, sellers can't close their accounts for at least 180 days after their last transaction. They can be banned from ebay by ebay, however.

Thanks. That's good to know.

They're no longer registered on eBay; the eBay rep told me the reason was fraud. If they kept their PO Box for returns, would they have been able to do refunds through PayPal for eBay returns, even though they're banned on eBay? I guess I don't know why they would close their PO Box, and now all the returns are being sent back to the buyers.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

You have to return the items. Monitor the tracking closely; once you see that the package is on its way back to you, or even being held for pickup in the sellers city--CALL customer service, have them track the package and they will issue your refund 🙂

Thank you. I will monitor the tracking closely for sure.  

The only thing is, I was told that if my returns are sent back to me, there will be no tracking on the packages, and so I won't be able to monitor the packages' whereabouts. I just hope that I get my money refunded. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@glassy-rabbit wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

The only thing is, I was told that if my returns are sent back to me, there will be no tracking on the packages, and so I won't be able to monitor the packages' whereabouts. I just hope that I get my money refunded. 

Who told you that? There will be tracking....all you need is for the tracking to show "return to sender" or "available for pickup" and that's when you call eBay. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@glassy-rabbit wrote:

and no longer have a PO Box at The UPS Store, so when I return the items, this seller will NOT receive my returns.

@woodeye, the The UPS Store store has a street address --

and regardless of any private mailbox appendages to that address --

USPS will show "Delivered" as soon as that day's crate of mail is dumped --

and eBay will force you your escalated case refund soon afterwards.

Later, the The UPS Store store might return to sender after sorting the mail --

but no matter as you're already well on your way to laughing at the bank.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

@glassy-rabbit wrote:

and no longer have a PO Box at The UPS Store, so when I return the items, this seller will NOT receive my returns.

@woodeye, the The UPS Store store has a street address --

and regardless of any private mailbox appendages to that address --

USPS will show "Delivered" as soon as that day's crate of mail is dumped --

and eBay will force you your escalated case refund soon afterwards.

Later, the The UPS Store store might return to sender after sorting the mail --

but no matter as you're already well on your way to laughing at the bank.

Oh, alright. I didn't understand how all of this works at The UPS Store. Thanks! 

The only worry is what if the USPS fails to scan my packages at The UPS Store? I've shipped a lot of packages through USPS, and sometimes they don't do the final delivery scan. So I would hope that if my packages don't happen to get the final delivery scan, that eBay will still refund me. I don't want to lose my money.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@glassy-rabbit wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

Who told you that? There will be tracking....all you need is for the tracking to show "return to sender" or "available for pickup" and that's when you call eBay. 

The man who I spoke with at The UPS Store told me that if they receive my return, that they will mark it return to sender for the USPS to pick up, but there will be no tracking on the package on its return route to me (if it's sent back to me). They are currently dealing with a lot of returns from other buyers of this seller.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@glassy-rabbit wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@glassy-rabbit wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

The man who I spoke with at The UPS Store told me that if they receive my return, that they will mark it return to sender for the USPS to pick up, but there will be no tracking on the package on its return route to me (if it's sent back to me). They are currently dealing with a lot of returns from other buyers of this seller.

Yes, it is possible the mail carrier might forgo scanning every mailpiece --

if there's a large volume of mail for that address on that day.

One idea is to pack your return in a box --

large enough to display the entire label on the face of the box --

so that it is less likely to be missed.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@glassy-rabbit wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@glassy-rabbit wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

Oh ok.....well maybe the guy at the UPS store is confused. They would send it back via USPS and USPS would track it back to you. There wouldn't be UPS tracking which is maybe what he is talking about?. But again eBay will still refund you if the package is returned to you :

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

PO boxes are only at post offices or USPS contract stations, not at private businesses such as the UPS Store.  Watch carefully for the "delivered" status at the store's street address.  Then call eBay right away and ask for an immediate refund.  You may get a courtesy refund and then eBay will have to deal with billing the defunct seller's account via a collection agency or other means.

One possibility is that the UPS Store may "refuse" delivery as "addressee unknown" and return the package via USPS.  In this case, the original tracking number will reflect the status, just as it does from any other source.

Another remote possibility is that the UPS Store will hold the incoming packages as evidence for law enforcement, especially if the fraud also involves stolen goods or counterfeits.  

Personally, I think it would make more sense for eBay to grant the refunds and not require returns unless the merchandise is needed for criminal prosecution and/or restoration to rightful owners.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

PO boxes are only at post offices or USPS contract stations, not at private businesses such as the UPS Store.  Watch carefully for the "delivered" status at the store's street address.  Then call eBay right away and ask for an immediate refund.  You may get a courtesy refund and then eBay will have to deal with billing the defunct seller's account via a collection agency or other means.

One possibility is that the UPS Store may "refuse" delivery as "addressee unknown" and return the package via USPS.  In this case, the original tracking number will reflect the status, just as it does from any other source.

Another remote possibility is that the UPS Store will hold the incoming packages as evidence for law enforcement, especially if the fraud also involves stolen goods or counterfeits.  

Personally, I think it would make more sense for eBay to grant the refunds and not require returns unless the merchandise is needed for criminal prosecution and/or restoration to rightful owners.

~~C~~

Its pretty clear when OP says "PO BOX", she is refering to a personal mail box/business mail box--postal mail box that can be rented at the UPS store and many other shipping stores 🙂

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

~~C~~

Thank you for the info.

You're right, it's not a PO Box. My mistake. It's a street address for The UPS Store and a "Ste" number for the seller's mailbox (on the return address). 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you, everyone, for your help and advice! I appreciate it very much.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply