cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My item says it’s delivered, but USPS withheld it and is asking me to pay for postage?

I recently purchased an item with included shipping costs of $6 via USPS Ground Advantage. Today, I received a notification that the item has arrived. However, when I checked my mailbox, there was only a slip instructing me to pick it up at the USPS office and pay an additional $9 for postage, even though I already paid for shipping with my order. 

I’m unsure of the next steps. Should I contact the seller or reach out to eBay? Why am I being asked to pay for postage again?

Additionally, am I still covered by the Money Back Guarantee if the app shows the item as “delivered”? 

Any advice would be appreciated

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

My item says it’s delivered, but USPS withheld it and is asking me to pay for postage?

Refusing the item I believe you might lose a refund...others here can maybe add to that.

I would pay for it and take a photo of package and receipt of additional postage and send it to the seller and seller can send some sort of refund on the item for 9 bucks. It's easy to do.

Reaching out to eBay will probably not help.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

How do I request a refund for the postage? Is there a designated portal? Or do I just ask through the message board with the seller in my purchase details. 

I’m guessing I shouldn’t open the package until the seller reaches back out as well, right?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Just go into eBay...click into item purchased...and ask buyer for the additional cost of postage...I would ask for a discount on item from seller...maybe send a photo of notification of additional postage as well.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If tracking shows it was delivered, that could be a problem.

If you just got the slip saying postage due, you could contact the seller and they could send the money to cover it.

If they didn't, you could refuse the package and still be covered by the MBG because there was postage due.

With it showing delivered, you can't refuse the package, because you'll loose your MBG.

I'd contact your PO and find out why they scanned it as delivered when it wasn't and they might be able to change it.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@dusur_9 wrote:

How do I request a refund for the postage? Is there a designated portal? Or do I just ask through the message board with the seller in my purchase details. 

I’m guessing I shouldn’t open the package until the seller reaches back out as well, right?

Take a photo of the postage due card and send it to the seller in a message and see if they'll pay for it.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I would take a picture of the postage due card and contact your seller through eBay messages and ask why you are being asked to pay additional postage at delivery. My guess is the seller may have used Priority packaging but sent it by Ground Advantage. Either that or they didn't properly check the weight of the item when making the label.

That is usually something the Post Office catches before it even gets to the buyer, but this one looks like it slipped through the cracks.

You should have at least 10 days before the Post Office would send the item back to the seller. That should give the seller plenty of time to refund you the $9.00 out of his proceeds to cover the extra shipping cost.

Does the USPS website show that the package was delivered or does it say on hold at Post Office. It should say delivered if you received a card for the extra postage.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply