cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Mail medical learning flash cards

The postal regulation for Media Mail is DMM 173.4.1.

Let's get right to the point…eBay made an error in judgment on how to ship what I just sold.

I sold some medical study cards with graphs and charts for learning and studying medicine.

it qualifies as USPS Media mail.  See letter "g" below.

But eBay blanked it out the option to use media mail.

Here is part of the Content Standards for Media Mail

4.1 Qualified Items.  Only these items may be mailed at the Media Mail prices:

a. —  "Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight
printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography..."

b.  —  16-millimeter or narrower width films…"

c.  —  "Printed music…"

d.  —  "Printed objective test materials and their accessories…"

e.  —  "Sound recordings…"

f.   —  "Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.

g.   —  "Printed educational reference charts designed to instruct or train individuals
for improving or developing their capabilities. Each chart must be a single
printed sheet of information designed for educational reference. The
information on the chart, which may be printed on one or both sides of the
sheet, must be conveyed primarily by graphs, diagrams, tables, or other
nonnarrative matter. An educational reference chart is normally but not
necessarily devoted to one subject. A chart on which the information is
conveyed primarily by textual matter in a narrative form does not qualify as a
printed educational reference chart for mailing at the Media Mail prices even
if it includes graphs, diagrams, or tables. Examples of qualifying charts
include maps produced primarily for educational reference, tables of
mathematical or scientific equations, noun declensions or verb conjugations
used in the study of languages, periodic table of elements, botanical or
zoological tables, and other tables used in the study of science."

h.  —  "Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for
distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

i.   —  Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or
scripts prepared solely for use with such media."

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Never shipped this type of material before but lets take a look.

Probably would be better to divide "g" into individual numbered items so they can be referred to by number.

Probably easier to refer to pictures by number also.

1. Printed educational reference charts designed to instruct or train individuals for improving or developing their capabilities.
  2. Each chart must be a single printed sheet of information designed for educational reference. The information on the chart, which may be printed on one or both sides of the sheet, must be conveyed primarily by graphs, diagrams, tables, or other nonnarrative matter.
  3. An educational reference chart is normally but not necessarily devoted to one subject.
  4. A chart on which the information isconveyed primarily by textual matter in a narrative form does not qualify as a printed educational reference chart for mailing at the Media Mail prices even if it includes graphs, diagrams, or tables.
  5. Examples of qualifying chartsinclude maps produced primarily for educational reference, tables of mathematical or scientific equations, noun declensions or verb conjugations used in the study of languages, periodic table of elements, botanical or zoological tables, and other tables used in the study of science.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Medical-Study-Cards-Human-Anatomy-amp-Physiology-NM-condition-Complete-set-...

#2 - That says that each chart must primarily use nonnarrative content. Multiple cards you show have a high degree of narrative content.

#4 - That says any chart that uses a high degree of narrative content is not allowed. A single such card included in the box would invalidate it for Media Mail.

P1P1P2P2P3P3P4P4P5P5P6P6

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@ohm_eater wrote:

Let's get right to the point…eBay made an error in judgment on how to ship what I just sold.

I sold some medical study cards with graphs and charts for learning and studying medicine.

eBay's idiot-proofing on this matter is based on categories, and doesn't cover every item sold.  I wouldn't expect things to change.  I realize it is frustrating, but if sellers wouldn't abuse media mail, then perhaps the restrictions wouldn't be so rigid.

Still, you do have a couple of other options for shipping this Media Mail:

1. PayPal
  2. Retail Counter
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

This item clearly does not qualify for Media Mail.

The OP can also ship this item via Pirateship.

If its shipped Media Mail and a USPS employee opens it the buyer is not going to get their package until the buyer pays for Priority Mail shipping. The buyer is not going to be happy and the OP will need to contact the buyer's local PO and ask if they can accept payment for the postage due via credit card over the phone. In some cases the local PO might let them pay the Parcel Select rate.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@anthology-of-treasures wrote:

Looks to me like it qualifies under the "H" description ...

"Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students."

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Adding to my previous post, here is a listing of more specific items (and rulings) from the USPS that illustrates items that qualify for Media Mail ... if you notice, "Flash Cards - Instructional" are permissible as Media Mail.

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

ebay has no control over how we ship. check the box for media mail

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@ohm_eater wrote:

eBay's idiot-proofing on this matter is based on categories, and doesn't cover every item sold.  I wouldn't expect things to change.  I realize it is frustrating, but if sellers wouldn't abuse media mail, then perhaps the restrictions wouldn't be so rigid.

Still, you do have a couple of other options for shipping this Media Mail:

1. PayPal
  2. Retail Counter

So eBay is trying to control the misuse of Media Mail but not allowing it to be selected in certain categories yet the category of their largest abuser (Magazines) is under the Book Category which probably doesn't get the restriction?

I ask again ... does Ebay not have a Continuity Department that reviews all this stuff to make sure it really really works before they put it into play?

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

Looks to me like it qualifies under the "H" description ...

"Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students."

Yes indeed, although I would take a completely different approach here, and put what appears to be a small but dense item into a Priority Mail Flat Rate box and ship it that way. Any minor savings on postage gained by shipping it as Media Mail instead would probably be offset by the uncertainty of when it would ever arrive. 

(This reminds me of the poster from last year sometime who went on a small but noisy campaign here to insist that anything shipped via Media Mail had to be educational, and nothing else. He'd be arguing vociferously in favor of this one, I think.)

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Flash cards are certainly not loose-leaf pages mechanically punched in some fashion to be able to be inserted into a binder. I don't think they they qualify under H.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

That link is to a web page from 2013 and it refers to a single individual customer support case with its own set of circumstances which may or may not be exactly the same as the OP.

Searching Google specifically for Customer Support Ruling # PS 017 we find a 2014 update.

https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-017.htm

Customer Support Ruling

Objective Test Materials – Media Mail

UPDATED June 2014

PS-017 (273.3.1)

This CSR discusses the eligibility of objective test materials at Media Mail prices.

Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) 273.3.1*, provides that printed objective test materials and their accessories used by or on behalf of educational institutions to test ability, aptitude, with or without answers, test scores, or identifying information recorded thereon in writing or by mark, may be mailed at the Media Mail prices.

Objective tests are composed of test questions which may each be answered with only one correct or right answer and with respect to the grading of the answers to such questions, no two reasonable people could differ on the results. The answers to the questions in such tests are usually in the form of true/false or multiple choice and scoring is often done by using a scoring key.

Accessories to objective test materials include articles such as answer sheets, scoring keys, directions how to take the test, pencils and similar devices, which are mechanically or procedurally necessary to take the tests and permit central scoring. These items are acceptable at the Media Mail prices only when mailed with the actual printed objective test materials to which they relate.

*See also DMM 173.4.

Sherry Suggs

Manager

Mailing Standards

Headquarters, US Postal Service

Washington DC 20260-3436

The above refers to DMM 173.4, whch takes us back to G.

https://pe.usps.com/Archive/PDF/DMMArchive20150531/173.pdf

g. Printed educational reference charts designed to instruct or train individuals for improving or developing their capabilities. Each chart must be a single printed sheet of information designed for educational reference. The information on the chart, which may be printed on one or both sides of the sheet, must be conveyed primarily by graphs, diagrams, tables, or other nonnarrative matter. An educational reference chart is normally but not necessarily devoted to one subject. A chart on which the information is conveyed primarily by textual matter in a narrative form does not qualify as a printed educational reference chart for mailing at the Media Mail prices even if it includes graphs, diagrams, or tables. Examples of qualifying charts include maps produced primarily for educational reference, tables of mathematical or scientific equations, noun declensions or verb conjugations used in the study of languages, periodic table of elements, botanical or zoological tables, and other tables used in the study of science.

These clearly do  not qualify under g due to narrative content.

If you search for the ISBN on that box it comes up as a hard cover book

https://isbnsearch.org/isbn/0697097315

A legacy listing on Amazon lists as a hard cover but then states in the description its cards.

Now its starting to feel like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Can someone define "narrative content" in this context?

I'm confused. I'd have said this item qualifies for media mail.  

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Flash cards are certainly not loose-leaf pages mechanically punched in some fashion to be able to be inserted into a binder. I don't think they they qualify under H.

Well, if they're flash cards, then they qualify, with Customer Support Ruling # PS 017 cited as the source for that. Scroll down tor the "OTHER MISC" subheading in the link below.

Ref: https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@ohm_eater   First, Media Mail counter rate and online rate is the same.  You can always simply pay at the counter then add the Tracking number on your computer when you get back home.  There will always be a few gray areas with things and I noticed some posters say it qualifies for Media Mail and others say it doesn't.   Did you know that old 12" vinyl LP records qualify as Media Mail?  Yep, I asked at the post office three years ago even though your un-expanded item 3 (if memory serves) does not come right out and say LP records. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote: ... Well, if they're flash cards, then they qualify ... 

They don't seem to be flash cards nor testing materials.  The package says, "Study cards".  They seem to be straightforward informational summaries.  Not flash cards (question on one side, answer on the other) or testing of any type.  Just information summarized on separate cards, presumably to facilitate setting aside the sections of material that have been mastered.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply