cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailing Rates

Does anyone know which U.S. States have the most expensive and the cheapest rates to mail packages via US
PS?  I recently mailed a package to Nevada and it was very expensive.  I can't find any information on the USPS website.  I appreciate any help in shipping rates.  I am trying to set up shipping policies.

Thank You, 

Linda

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Mailing Rates

@mckenna70_3 wrote:

Does anyone know which U.S. States have the most expensive and the cheapest rates to mail packages via US
PS?  I recently mailed a package to Nevada and it was very expensive.  I can't find any information on the USPS website.  I appreciate any help in shipping rates.  I am trying to set up shipping policies.

Thank You, 

Linda

Hi Linda-

Shipping to the continental US states is based on weight/dimensions and zones from your home state. It's not based on individual states rates, they are all treated the same. So it depends on which state you will be shipping from, the distance to the zone for your destination, plus the weight/dimensions of the package.

You can find this info on the USPS.com website. Only Alaska and Hawaii, plus Puerto Rico, have some extra charges based on distances. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Mailing Rates

@mckenna70_3   You should use calculated shipping.  Weigh and measure your items in the box that they will ship in then your buyers will be charged the correct price. 

Shipping is based not just on distance but package weight and dimensions.  There is a dimensional weight surcharge if the box is over 12 cubic inches.  

Here's the eBay shipping calculator:

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Mailing Rates

There is a dimensional weight surcharge if the box is over 12 cubic inches.     one cubic foot

er, um, ah, can I inject some "maths" here? 🤔 😀

4 x 3 x 1 = 12 cubic inches

12 x 12 x 12 inches =  1728 cubic inches = 1 cubic foot   USPS Dimensional Weight is based on anything over 1 cubic foot!

Sorry to be 'that guy' with the specifics.... just wanted to make sure things were clear.  Oh and to Geek out too! 😛😎

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Mailing Rates

@no_zero369 @Oops...  not sure why I said that!!  Thanks for the save on my brain fart moment.   Lol 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Mailing Rates

@comics-scifi-collectibles no worries 😎- gave me a chance to be a "geek!"  LOL!  🤖

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Mailing Rates

You don't need shipping policies, just use calculated shipping for everything.

Here's a neat interactive zone chart:

https://www.pirateship.com/usps/zone-map

Just mouse over your state and it will show the zones. In a nutshell, the farther you are from a zone, the more it costs. Zone 1 is the cheapest, zone 8 is the highest.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Mailing Rates

Individual states DO NOT set the shipping rates.  The rates are set by the United States Post Office and are based on distance, size of package and weight, and class of shipping used.  Generally, a package of the same size and weight etc will cost more to ship from Virginia to California than that same package will cost to ship from Virginia to Ohio.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Mailing Rates

Thanks to all of you for your very informative help!  I continue to learn something new every day!

Stay safe!

Linda

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Mailing Rates

@mckenna70_3 

Just wanted to highlight your post as it is always nice to see someone kind enough to reply with gratitude and humility!  It gets draining to offer help and then get those who feel a need to "defend " their position, point by point.  So your reply is welcome and refreshing!

Keep learning!  The Community will be here to help if you desire!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply