cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item location changed, shipping service downgraded

bcharmah
Adventurer

I recently purchased a used paperback book. I chose this seller because the item was only 170 miles away in Sparks, NV, and the listing stated "standard" shipping, for which I paid $3.99.  They did not specify the carrier, but according to eBay,  "standard" can mean first class (which is probably the most likely, since it's just a paperback), or UPS Ground, etc and I could reasonably expect delivery in 3-5 business days.  Usually, even when something is coming from across the country, first class will get it here within that time frame.

After a week, the item had not yet been marked as shipped. I contacted the seller, with no response. So, a few days later I opened an INR claim. Only then, did the seller provide tracking info.  I saw that the item was shipping from Pennsylvania (not Nevada) and the method was "Bound Printed Matter."   It took five days to reach California, and it's been in California for 6 days now, and tracking just says it's "in transit."

The seller said: "Packages shipped using Standard Shipping usually take about two weeks for delivery. We show this purchase was sent using USPS, and the tracking number on the shipment is: xxxxxxx.   Occasionally delays of up to 20 days can occur with shipments sent through the post office. "

I asked for the specific shipping method, and asked why the listing stated the item location was in Sparks, NV but was actually shipped from Pennsylvania? The main reason I purchased from them was because they were so close, and because it was supposed to be standard shipping.

They responded:  "Packages shipped using Economy Standard Shipping usually take about 2 weeks for delivery. We show this purchase was sent using CARRIER, and the tracking number on the shipment is: USPS xxxxxxxx.  This item is still in transit to you. Our warehouse is located in Sparks, NV but inventory can ship from any of our sellers located around the country. I’m sorry for any concern this caused."

According to eBay, this is not allowed:

"Sellers must be clear and accurate about the location their item will be shipped or picked up from. We don't allow false, inaccurate, vague, or misleading information about the location of an item in the Item location field or description. When listing items for sale, sellers are expected to provide the city, state and country of their item so shipping charges and delivery times can be accurately calculated and communicated to buyers."

Looking at the listing now, it says I should expect delivery by Feb 12.  That would make it 2.5 weeks after I purchased it... and paid for standard shipping.  Is this reasonable?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Ask eBay to step in as soon as your complaint allows.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

According to USPS "informed delivery" the book was shipped from Bellwether Books, in PA...  I checked them out on Amazon (I buy a lot of books there, too), and saw the same (used) book is being sold by Bellweather for the exact same odd price as the one I ordered on eBay:  $7.10 plus $3.98 shipping.   The ebay seller has a completely different seller name (not Bellwether Books). Is it a normal practice for an eBay seller to be listing the same product, for the same exact price, as an Amazon seller, with the product being shipped by the Amazon seller in a different state? This is all new to me. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Your seller could be a drop shipper but at the price you paid? I doubt it. Most book sellers use media mail, shipping first class at the price you paid would have left little profit in the transaction.

many things are possible, your seller may have several places they ship from, some sellers warehouse their items with Amazon and Amazon packs and ships them. Your seller may sell on several venues under different names.  Maybe your seller couldn't find he book in his book case or fell victim to eBay's qlitch of relisting a sold listing and instead of canceling they are drop shipping it from elsewhere.

as for being the same price, when I list I check several venues so I match or beat my competitors prices.

i wouldn't stress over it. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Seller could be acting as a dropshipper routinely, they could have multiple locations or they might have run out and had the get the item elsewhere.

Community Staff has sepcifically stated that a change in carrier service level is not actionable (many of us don't agree, but our opinion is irrelevant).

If you get the item by the latest estimated arrival date on your Purchase History page, there is nothing you can do.  Aside from FB if you so choose.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The seller is full of it and I would leave feedback accordingly. I always use standard ship as even tho my items are sent 1st cladd - I don't like the 2-3 day delivery time they estimate - things happen and it may take an additonal day or two before USPS actually delivers the item.

I agree that the item location should be the location of where the item is located - so again - the seller is not being truthful. If I mistakeningly don't change my shipping from standard to media for a book - I ship 1st class and absorb the loss. 

If it's after the estimated delivery date - call and get the INR closed in your favor - this is not acceptable.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

My buying decision was made because
A. Book location was stated to be close by (only 170 miles away)

B. It was being shipped "standard" for $3.99 (an economy service would

have been less, so this didn't seem odd)

Since the item location went from a few hours away, to across the country,

and since shipping went from standard to economy, I do feel justified in being unhappy about it.

According to tracking, it will arrive today... 12 days after purchase. 8 full business days. 

Standard shipping from Nevada would have taken 3-5 days, at most.... which is why I purchased

from that seller. There were plenty other sellers selling this same book, but most stated economy shipping, which is what I was trying to avoid.

I've been seeing a lot of this lately...  listings that state "standard" but the sellers ship economy, instead: UPS Mail Innovations > Parcel Select, or Media Mail, or Bound Printed Matter.  But I've not come across the item location changing like this... but "drop-shipping" makes sense. Still, it was misleading for sure, and especially frustrating since I thought it was coming from just a few hours away.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Ebay allows buyers to report a seller who misrepresents shipping location.

I run into the same problem I buy an inexpensive eBay item from a seller who drop ships from Amazon.  While eBay doesn't prohibit drop shipments, it makes the buyer feel foolish, knowing they could have had more accurate shipping information (and a lower price) if they had shopped at Amazon instead of eBay.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@ccex wrote:

I run into the same problem

from a seller who drop ships from Amazon. 

While eBay doesn't prohibit drop shipments, it makes the buyer feel foolish

If the Amazon tracking number doesn't show delivered --

unlike this tracking number shows delivered:just start a refund request.

And don't feel so foolish.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

wrote:

My buying decision was made because
A. Book location was stated to be close by (only 170 miles away)

B. It was being shipped "standard" for $3.99 (an economy service would

have been less, so this didn't seem odd)

Item location notwithstanding , what did the estimated delivery date say?

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

There's no such monster as Standard Economy Shipping.  It's one or the other.

That kind of stuff irritates me.  If you're going to shi

Message 11 of 11
latest reply