cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a reason why ebay doesn't charge the buyer $0.30 when they cancel a paid order?

It's now happened to me 3 times in the last 3 months or so, but is there a reason why the buyer isn't charged the $0.30 when they cancel an order they've already paid for?  I know $0.90 is not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, but it's more the principle behind it.  Seems like the one who initiated the cancellation (in this case, the buyer) should be responsible for eating that fee.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Is there a reason why ebay doesn't charge the buyer $0.30 when they cancel a paid order?

eh, the thought I have is not something that will be popular with someone who sees the principle of things as it were.  😇 Yeah, we all think it is a pain, but PayPal did the same thing - they never gave the 30-cents back.

But it is there and the seller eats it because 'thems the rules'.  We all agreed to 'those rules' when we signed up here and often they bite us a bit. 

A lot of eBay's rules are in place because they want to be "buyer friendly".  Site would die, dead in its tracks if they operated on a 'seller friendly' basis and slighted buyers or nickel & dimed them.  Many are still scared of online shopping and potential scams so making it easier for buyers to feel safe. etc. is what drives eBay policies.

Also if one invests time into the "weeds" of advice eBay has for sellers they will run into something that is preached- creating a positive "buyer experience."  Buyers that have a good experience they come back and shop more.  They have a BAD experience and it gets plastered all over social media and that discourages others. 

Plus, the "market" is changing from the old 'habituated buyer base" (read Baby Boomers) to the 30-40 something that have disposable income.  This new set of buyers is now the majority in the market place and thus their expectations drive retail behavior.  So sellers have to 'take it in the shorts' to accommodate those with the money and cater to their whims and desires.  Many don't like it, but it's a huge force in the market.

So yeah, I use to get upset by stuff like this.  Then eventually, realized that stuff like this was 'the price of doing business," as it were.  Now I either lower my profit expectation or increase my sale price to cover the occasional return and associated costs.  Once I put plans it place it sure took away a lot  of the stresses involve.  Maybe something like that would work for you?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I agree, there should be a cancellation fee to the buyer, but won't ever happen.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It might make buyers unhappy and less likely to place orders.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Might also make them less likely to either cancel or buy without thinking first lol

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Be glad it's only $0.30.

If you were still on Pay Pal, you would have lost all the fee's.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

eh, the thought I have is not something that will be popular with someone who sees the principle of things as it were.  😇 Yeah, we all think it is a pain, but PayPal did the same thing - they never gave the 30-cents back.

But it is there and the seller eats it because 'thems the rules'.  We all agreed to 'those rules' when we signed up here and often they bite us a bit. 

A lot of eBay's rules are in place because they want to be "buyer friendly".  Site would die, dead in its tracks if they operated on a 'seller friendly' basis and slighted buyers or nickel & dimed them.  Many are still scared of online shopping and potential scams so making it easier for buyers to feel safe. etc. is what drives eBay policies.

Also if one invests time into the "weeds" of advice eBay has for sellers they will run into something that is preached- creating a positive "buyer experience."  Buyers that have a good experience they come back and shop more.  They have a BAD experience and it gets plastered all over social media and that discourages others. 

Plus, the "market" is changing from the old 'habituated buyer base" (read Baby Boomers) to the 30-40 something that have disposable income.  This new set of buyers is now the majority in the market place and thus their expectations drive retail behavior.  So sellers have to 'take it in the shorts' to accommodate those with the money and cater to their whims and desires.  Many don't like it, but it's a huge force in the market.

So yeah, I use to get upset by stuff like this.  Then eventually, realized that stuff like this was 'the price of doing business," as it were.  Now I either lower my profit expectation or increase my sale price to cover the occasional return and associated costs.  Once I put plans it place it sure took away a lot  of the stresses involve.  Maybe something like that would work for you?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes, I agree with you 100%.  In principle, it is the right thing to do to charge the buyer for the error.  The reason they don't is it is all about the profits with eb, IMHO.  The buyers are more important to them.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply