cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Shipping option correct, USPS First Class Mail Large Envelope 2 - 5 business days for $1.83

Hey everyone! I've started selling lapel pins for a bit of variety. I came across a shipping option, USPS First Class Mail Large Envelope, that claims to deliver in 2-5 business days for $1.83. It allows a maximum weight of 13oz and the dimensions can be up to 15.0 x 12 x 1.0 inches.

Before I make the switch for all my listings, I want to double-check if this information is accurate and not a mistake. I'm also curious because, if this option is correct, some DVDs might end up being cheaper to ship than using media mail. Can anyone confirm if this sounds right? Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Is the Shipping option correct, USPS First Class Mail Large Envelope 2 - 5 business days for $1.83

USPS which I use every day....I would say no.

Maybe those are in the "metric system.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The actual maximum thickness for a Large envelope (formally known as a flat) is 3/4 inch.  In addition, USPS requires that any piece shipped at this rate must be (1) flexible and  (2) of even thickness (which they define as variation in thickness not more than 1/4 inch).  So it can't be used for CDs or DVDs, and with proper packaging your pins probably won't work either.  Also, flats do not come with tracking and eBay does not offer postage labels for flats.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#ep1002686

Postage for flats is priced per ounce and ranges from $1.35 to $4.23.  The price of $1.83 is for 3 ounces.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c037

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Here is what I see on both desktop and mobile. I'm in Los Angeles. Anyone else have the option?  Yesterday is the first time I've even seen it as an option. I've been selling for 5 years. 331.png

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I don't see the dimensions of the envelope or the weight...just large envelope.

You can do a little larger envelope than a standard envelope for that price...but not the weight or thickness.

Something is wrong in that photo. And I wouldn't trust it with my shipping. Every post office sometimes is not on the same page. LOL.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

My thoughts are they likely added it since the work around of selecting first class and entering a cost for the large envelope option doesn't work since there is no first class package anymore. So they added the first class envelope option so sellers could select it.  I would say even if you put 1 inch thickness it may populate as an option since putting 3/4s wouldn't be accepted by the system. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi,

I called eBay Customer Service with quested about USPS First Class Large Envelope postage and share what they told me.

I've just used USPS First Class Large Envelope postage for the first time after receiving a note from eBay recommending that this could save sellers (and or buyers) money.  What the note did not explain was when calculating and choosing which type of postage to use, the list you see shows all types available from USPS for your package including USPS First Class Large Envelope where appropriate.  However, when you go to purchase the shipping label you will not see USPS First Class Large Envelope listed as a choice.  Three things to remember if you use USPS First Class Large Envelope as your postage choice.

1. You can only buy this type of postage at a Post Office, not from eBay
  2. This type of postage does not come with a tracking number so no one can track the package
  3. eBay always sides with the buyer if they report that your package never reached them and the buyer will be refunded for their purchase.  This is why you will always loose out with this type of dispute about an untrackable package. 

From note 3. above you obviously have to carefully consider the following when using USPS First Class Large Envelope postage:

• Do not use USPS First Class Large Envelope for an item of any value above what you are willing to loose should the item is reported as never delivered.
  • Further to the above, check the buyers feedback and time with eBay.  eBay is aware of scams such as reports of undelivered items especially by buyers who create a new account and have no feedback specifically to get hold of your item for free.

Hope this helps someone.....

John

Message 7 of 7
latest reply