cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoice to buyer for extra shipping costs

Hi Good Afternoon!

I have a BUYER who has paid for an item but the shipping costs are a lot more than expected due to the size of box.  They are willing to pay the extra shipping, but I don't know how to send an invoice for this.   Appreciate your help!  Lizmugs

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@lizmugs 

You can't, the buyer is only required to pay what was in the listing.

If the seller made a mistake on the shipping, they have to make it up.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes, what Ken said. This is your mistake and is on you. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for all the input.  The seller is willing to pay the extra $35 and asked me to send her an invoice.  I don't know how.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@lizmugs wrote:

Thanks for all the input.  The seller is willing to pay the extra $35 and asked me to send her an invoice.  I don't know how.  

Sorry, you can't.

You can cancel the order, relist and fix the shipping, then they can buy the item again.

You would have to cancel as out of stock and take a defect.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I know you can't send a new invoice but if they are willing to pay the extra can you go through Paypal? Can you send them an invoice for the $35.00 through Paypal?   Am I in trouble now for mentioning Paypal?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The previous answers provide you with the only correct procedures to follow by Ebay's rules. I suppose you could do a paypal money request, but getting caught taking it off Ebay channels is much worse than the missed $$.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The best way to handle is to cancel the order- if the buyer is good with that - and relist it with correct shipping dimensions and weight.  Obviously communicate with the buyer and let them know  what you are doing.   

To be sure the correct buyer gets first dibs on it, you can list it as fixed price with a nutty high fixed price and be sure to ad BEST OFFER.     

Communicate with the buyer on  NOT doing buy it now- but rather make offer. 

You guys agree on whatever the best offer price you will accept is before listing.    If it were me, I'd agree to accept LESS than it originally sold for since it is your mistake.   

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Would the extra $35 be considered doing business off ebay if the buyer completes the transaction by paying the amount of the original invoice? Would probably need a lawyer to figure that one out!  I have been shorted a few times on shipping either because of my mistake of entering the weight incorrectly or failing to double and triple check to make sure the free shipping box is not checked. ebay likes to automatically check that box for some reason and I am not talking about when "selling similar". Have had it happen many, many times over a 20 year span. Very annoying.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I have a new twist on this topic. The buyer paid for the item and then requested a larger shipping box with extra padding (compared to the listing). The difference in shipping cost is about $14. I have asked the buyer to request an order cancellation and promised a new listing with the buyer's preferred shipping box size/weight. Hopefully that will work out.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The only way to do this would be through the mail! Because you cannot exchange any information other than what you can obtain through the doing of eBay. Ebay provided you a address for customer did they not. 101

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Original message is from 01/24/22.  Hopefully, that OP has resolved his problem by now.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply