cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping tips

Hi! I'm considering adding international shipping to a select mid-tier listings to see if there's opportunity there. I've read on it and it's many more steps compared to domestic, as expected. Looking for any tips or expertise that can help ease the learning curve. 

Cheers!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Try using ebay's Global Shipping Program. It is easy - no customs forms to worry about and you just mail packages to the GSP center in the USA.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Shipping international is no harder than domestic save for an easy-to-complete form that prints out with the label. First class international is one form,  priority is has more and you need the customs pouch for that (easy to get at the USPS or order online) - but you don't need really anymore info. 

That's about it. 

You can try GSP, or you can simply ship yourself to a few countries to start with. *

*GSP is as easy as shipping domestic, it's just that not all recipients (particularly in Canada) like it. 

Anyway, you've got choices. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@charlleines 

Tagging on to @crazystuff4sale 

Here is the link to the GSP info on the site.  I have this bookmarked and before the pandemic shipped regularly to Canada, Australia and New Zealand with zero issues.  I loved my Aussies Buyers.

Global Shipping Program | eBay

It is a little bit of a read, but an excellent link to bookmark and return to if you need info.  

Also, posting a question about international shipping on the Shipping board is so very helpful.  The regular posters there are really great and helped me a lot when I first shifted to do international shipments.

There are changes concerning VAT and that is why I would only use GSP now if I go back to international shipping vs sending direct, etc.

Changes to VAT import regulations for the EU in 2021 (ebay.com)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

As crazystuff4sale stated use the eBay GSP. I sell internationally and if it was not for the GSP I probably would not do so. Using the GSP makes the sale look almost exactly like a domestic one in fact in some aspects easier. First if you use the GSP and something sells to an international buyer with a foreign shipping address the GSP is the one that sends the invoice to the buyer, they are the ones that collect any VAT or customs fees from the buyer and they are the ones that complete the customs forms. Your job, once the buyer has paid, is to pack and ship the item to the GSC in Kentucky. Once the GSC receives the package they will take care of the international leg of the shipping, obtain the label for the carrier and update the tracking information in your orders. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the tip re posting on the shipping board. 

I was hesitant on GSP because I just finished going through some unpleasant threads on the topic. It is the easier option for starting.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

And you have had a decent experience with the program (compare to USPS, UPS domestic)?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I don't know who you're planning to ship with. But since you sound new at this. I would start out with GSP. Get a few sales with that, can maybe get your feet wet making shipments to Canada outside GSP. Then eventually you can do worldwide outside of GSP if you're so inclined.

Realistically though. Outside of maybe doing a slightly better job at packing since it has more chances at being kicked around. Shipping internationally isn't that hard. Just fill out a customs form and maybe some areas want more info than others.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Nothing but positive experience with the GSP. It is basically just like doing a domestic shipment other than the fact that you are not the one sending the invoice to the buyer. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

If I was shipping directly for international sales the biggest issue I would have would be trying to figure out all the import rules and regulations for all the various countries. Canada for example has some restrictions on certain types of martial arts weapons and Australia limits knives pretty heavily. 

I also do not sell expensive items and I have a selected list of countries that I will sell to. Not that the chance of getting scammed on an international sale is any greater than it is domestically but in the event of a return it can become a pain. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Good point on restricting to select countries, with returns in mind. Great feedback thanks!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Good point on packaging. Generally I'm careful since some of the items are pricey. I ship using 6"x4"x4" boxes I wonder if I use a bigger box or extra bubble mailer it'll reduce chance of loss since small boxes can be misplaced/hidden easily. I'll look into that

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Don't do it. I quit selling internation this year after 4 strait orders to China using USPS Priority Express were lost and I was out thousands of dollars. USPS is soo terrible at present you risk profitablity if you sell international.

Also: I tried the global shipping program when it was first rolled out. They lost two of my packages, but I had to refund 100% out of pocket. Even iof Ebay takes possesssion of the item, if you read the terms of service, carefully, you will see that Ebay can literally do whatever they want once they get your parcel.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

China is one of the countries that I will neither sell to or buy from. They counterfeit about anything you can think of. There are some things that I would never even consider selling internationally, cell phones and electronics being at the top of that list. High scamming targets. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply