cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many DAYS does a buyer have to MAIL an approved return REQUEST?

I searched eBay's maze of information and it is frustrating.  I could not find any information concerning my question below:

How many DAYS does a buyer have to MAIL an APPROVED return before the REQUEST is removed from the Seller's open resolutions?  I immediately approved a return (buyer pays return postage), it's been 7 days since approval.  I have heard nothing from the buyer though I asked them to inform me of the return tracking number and date mailed.  Will this request be removed from the seller's account automatically or do I have to request it to be removed?  Can the buyer open another request if the first one expired due to not mailing the return in a timely manner?

THANK YOU.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

A buyer has 10 business days (14 or more calendar days) to mail the return label. Then eBay waits another 5 business days (7 or more calendar days) to ensure the scans of the label. If the buyer buys their own return label instead of using the eBay return label, they have more time before eBay automatically closes the return.

How much time are buyers given to ship returned items?
When buyers are sent an eBay-generated return label, the return is closed if the label is not printed within 10 business days. If the buyer prints the label, we allow the return to remain open an additional 5 business days to ensure shipping scans are captured. When buyers are not sent an eBay-generated return label, we wait up to 35 business days before closing the return.

Changes to handling return requests that appear abandoned
Starting [April Fools’ Day] April 1, 2020, we will no longer close returns early at the request of a seller when the buyer has not shipped the item back. Instead, we will wait to ensure buyers have sufficient time to provide proof items they requested to return were shipped back.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

That's not entirely correct as ebay extended the time for a buyer to return last year.  21 business days from the day you accept the return and label sent. Its still in effect...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Temporary-changes-to-timelines-for-Returns-and-Claims-du...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The pandemic extensions

started on Mar 25, 2020

and ended on Jul 1, 2020,

in line with the start and end of the pandemic. Sorry you didn't know.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@ajl_ventures 

Since thy extended the time they have to return an item, they have almost a month to ship it back.

If they don't, Ebay will close the case when they are ready.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Again that's Not correct. I have personally just last month had to wait 21 business days for a buyer to NOT send an item back in order for ebay to release my hold. I was even told that by CS same info last month when I called to request release and it's been here on the boards recently from other posts regarding the length of time.

A buyer has that long. Hard to believe but true. When you get a return request and it's Not sent back you will live through this delay.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@pooh333piglet wrote:

I was even told that by CS same info last month when I called to request release and it's been here on the boards recently from other posts regarding the length of time.

Unfortunately, some CS reportedly don't know the policy, but the eBay bot is programmed to enforce it fully without exception.

Return timelines

As of July 1, 2020, you'll have 10 business days from when a return is accepted or a return shipping label is provided to you to send your item back.

As of July 1, 2020, once tracking shows that the item has been successfully returned, you'll have 2 business days to inspect the item and issue a refund.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I have been told on the phone by a USA based CSR this and I have no idea if it is true or not:

ebay will no longer "close" a return if an item has not been shipped back until it times out and closes itself.

The buyer can still return the item even AFTER the deadline and it is now up to you and the buyer to work it out.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Brian@ebay.com

Can you clear this up? I absolutely know I had to wait 21 days just last month for a return that was never sent in order to get my hold released. 

What is the current policy? 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Brian@ebay

Can you clear this up? I absolutely know I had to wait 21 days just last month for a return that was never sent in order to get my hold released. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

21 days. Called them on Day 22 because the case was still pending (the buyer never shipped the item back), was told it would take a few more days to close it (??!) . Think it took up to 5.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Too long! 3 weeks! 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️ ( it used to be 10 days a couple of years ago…)

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@yuncreations wrote:

Too long! 3 weeks! ( it used to be 10 days a couple of years ago…)

It used to be 15 business days a couple of years ago, @yuncreations.

r0isdhfihoasdhfhaoisdhofhoasdhfohadosihfo0.jpg

Then when the pandemic started on March 25, 2020 -- only at eBay, it went up to 21 business days for the buyer to get the return in the mail. Three months later, since the pandemic was over -- only at eBay, it went back to 15 business days on July 1, 2020.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@pooh333piglet wrote:

Brian@ebay.com

The tag didn't work. brian@ebay.com 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I am currently in the throes of a months long return.

Jan 24th sale

Feb 2nd delivery

March 2nd opens a return

Mar 29th ships back

Apr 28th still waiting for item

Just shy of 100 days since the sale...return still open. Absolutely ridiculous.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply