cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hige Charg on Shipping...

I suppose I know the answer, that besides negative feedback and DSR there isn't much I can do but I curious.

I am buying a large pair of speakers from a resell/consignment seller on here, he stated in his description that the item would be shipped fedex and one day handling. Thus I agreed on the "flat" charge of 500$ for shipping...

A week went by and I heard nothing from the seller and was curious when they would be here as I wanted to be home. He states that it was going to cost over 700$ to have these shipped by fright and he currently has them listed on uship.

I found the listing on uship and see he accepted an offer of 240$ to have someone bring them to me....I won the auction on Jan 25th, supposedly they will be here on Feb 20th...

I politely asked if I would be reimbursed the other 260$ he charged for shipping. He is denying the request stating that I agreed on a flat rate for shipping, that the fedex/one day handling does not apply to large items nor freight and his final messaged stated that in his own words "It was in my interest to have costs on my end be as low as possible, ideally so I could make some of my money back for these by saving costs on the shipping."

Needless to say I am very upset because I bought the speakers assuming they would be shipped fedex and with in a few days after my purchase. Just to find out he didn't want to spend the money on his stated shipping method.

But as I said I am not sure if anything else maybe able to be done but I was just curious about others thoughts?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Wow, talk about a seller who doesn't try to hide anything.  LOL.   Loose lips sink ships. 

You obviously have a legitimate grievance but IMO it sounds like you are dealing with a highly inexperienced (or not so intelligent) seller. 

If you really want the speakers and don't mind the wait, I would just wait it out provided it didn't put you outside of the MBG in terms of filing a claim if need be.   All sellers on here make money one way or another, yours just explained it to you in vivid detail.    eBay won't force them to refund you the overage on shipping. 

(But yeah I would definitely neg them). 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Yea I have sold on ebay for many years and like a lot of us....I screw up shipping charges occasionally and I usually have to eat the overages.....Cost of doing business and being mindful of your customers....I've also never felt right keeping large amounts of money over a shipping quote....

Geez! I didn't even think about the time to open a case being up, it states I have 30days after the date of delivery but seeing how I am doubtful I will get a tracking number....I am not sure yet...

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

First to protect yourself and your money, I'd file an INR [item not received] case.  

Your seller is all kinds of wrong here.  But you should first lookout for your money.  Once you get the item and/or your money back, report the seller to Ebay.  They have broken several rules openly and without remorse.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Your seller is not very smart if he sends those to you with uship. Unless I am missing something, how is he going to prove delivery? He need a tracking number with a service that Ebay accepts. Does Ebay accept proof of delivery with uship? If not, you would be able to open an item not received case and the seller would lose.

That $260.00 that the seller is trying to make on shipping could end up turning into a HUGE loss for him. You did agree to the $500 for shipping, but in agreeing to it he also agreed to ship by FedEx not uship. All I can say is I would not want to be in his position on this sale. Good luck to both of you. Hope it turns out alright.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

You may be able to open a case with PayPal, if not eBay.

Downgraded shipping, switching carriers, did not ship within stated handling time,... asking for just the refund of the difference in the shipping cost.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Yea I just did more searching and reading...alot of people warn sellers against shipping items uship and to let the buyer send you a money order and have them let uship pick it up. Because there is no way to prove someone picked them up and delivered them to your buyer.

Another thing I noticed was the seller accepted a bid from a Broker so technically speaking there is still no one to pick them up or to know whom will pick them up...as the broker will now find a guy with a truck to pick them up....

You are right, this will be a huge loss for him but i hope he learns from it....I hate to do this also being a seller but his customer service is horrible!

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you, OP, frustrating to be sure.

Situations like this erode buyer confidence.

If you don't get the speakers, you can open an item not received case.  You have thirty days after the last date in the estimated delivery time frame to do so.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Personally, I would write the seller back and tell them that you agreed to pay $500 for shipping the particular shipping method and terms stated in the listing; which would have got the speakers to you much quicker. He has now changed the terms of sale, after the sale without seeing if you agreed to it.

Now if you really want them and they are a good deal even with the $500 shipping, I suppose I would just wait for them to arrive.

He may have made a mistake in the listing, but at least he could have consulted with you or offered to cancel the order once he figured out the shipping issue.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

That is what I had attempted to do but the seller got very upset as he stated it was a "flat rate" for shipping. He then went onto say that his fine print didn't apply to this item, as he doesn't usually ship larger items. But even after entering his "flat" rate shipping he checked one day handling.

Gosh! I wish they were that great of a deal but I really chose this pair because off the offered shipping. I got so excited to get them, just to contact him a week later to find out they were never shipped and up for bid on uship...Really angered me!

I wish he would have consulted with me, I think that even makes it worse! I even messaged before I made an offer to confirm the shipping price was correct and he would ship them. He said yes, and yes...but no details...
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I read on another post that items shipped by a different method and arrive outside of the delivery window can be filed as not as described claim. Not sure if that helps, but I’m not sure what else you can do:( 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@cream_couture wrote:

I read on another post that items shipped by a different method and arrive outside of the delivery window can be filed as not as described claim. Not sure if that helps, but I’m not sure what else you can do:( 

Yes but it is done on PayPal, eBay doesn't seem to care about this issue.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Well the seller states the items have been picked up and wants my phone number now......I have just opened a item not received....he can try to provide proof to ebay that he sent them because I have no proof that he sent them to me....Oh and this is two days after the carrier supposedly picked them up, think as soon as they were there to pick them up I would have gotten a message....

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

It doesn't matter when the carrier picks them up or even if they did at all.  You will win your 'Item not received" claim if the seller doesn't have a delivery scan from a carrier that eBay recognizes.  If he intended to ship via freight, then that's what he should have listed. I'm surprised that you were able to open an INR claim if the estimated delivery date was Feb. 20.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

@cream_couture wrote:

Yes but it is done on PayPal, eBay doesn't seem to care about this issue.

No it is not done on paypal @lja440 You must be thinking of the shipping cost dispute paypal allows. What the other poster suggested was a NAD for late delivery and that dispute may be filed with ebay. Late delivery is NAD because the delivery date is part of the item description. 

The lord knows my heart so I ain't trippin' off no church

Positive is the attitude
Negative is not the mood
Message 15 of 27
latest reply