cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HS Code - if not asked by the shipper, I don't need to bother, right? Shipping to UK

I am shipping to UK from Canada but my shipper doesn't require me to add an HS Code when generating the shipping label.   

Is adding HS Codes dependent on the carrier you use? 

I'd rather use a carrier that doesn't require me to use it, I avoid the hassle.   But before I make the conclusion, is there any impact on not putting an HS Code on the package?  Will the package get hold up by UK Customers?

I do have the IOSS and that is already included on the shipping label and the shipper receives the description of the item being shipped electronically. 

But as I said, there is no mention of Tariff code or HS Code and doesn't ask me to look for it either.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

HS Code - if not asked by the shipper, I don't need to bother, right? Shipping to UK

@itolduandso wrote:

I am shipping to UK from Canada but my shipper doesn't require me to add an HS Code when generating the shipping label.   

Is adding HS Codes dependent on the carrier you use? 

I'd rather use a carrier that doesn't require me to use it, I avoid the hassle.   But before I make the conclusion, is there any impact on not putting an HS Code on the package?  Will the package get hold up by UK Customers?

I do have the IOSS and that is already included on the shipping label and the shipper receives the description of the item being shipped electronically. 

But as I said, there is no mention of Tariff code or HS Code and doesn't ask me to look for it either.

According to my shipper packages going to the UK do not require the same codes that packages going to EU members (since the UK is no longer an EU member). Even I use the U S Post Office. Of course, CanadaPost may have a different rule.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It doesn't take long to locate the correct code online, at no cost. Five minutes max.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

This is not true at all. I can't find a code and I have the same question. I have shipped international before but this is the first time it has required HS Tariff. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I use Canada Post and have entered a HS code for years.   At one time they said it was required and although that seemed to change, I always entered it.

If you go to https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1  it won't take long to figure out the HS code.    If you are using CP ebay labels, you would use the 6 number code like this... 4202.31  Some label providers want you to put in the code without the decimal, ebay requires that you put it in.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply