cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping how dispute restricted item?

I recently ordered a vintage tobacco pipe, I have purchased several of the same type over the years from eBay, internationally. 

Today I received a noticing the item was considered undeliverable and restricted but with no further information. I reached out to the seller and he said I should contact eBay?

I can't find any way to contact global shipping nor is there an area that's obvious to me to reach out to eBay? Can anyone help or offer advice?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Just a WAG... is the pipe meerschaum and is it coming from a country that doesn't allow exports?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@freestate,

I'm sorry, but if an item has been rejected for the eBay International Shipping, there is no appeal process available. The decision is final. So there is no need to contact anyone, it would not help.

When this happens, the buyer is refunded, and the seller keeps the payment. So the item is then relisted on the same eBay website, but with domestic shipping only, in order to recoup (at least some of) the cost. What you can do, if you still want the item, is to arrange for a freight forwarding company to ship it for you, and watch for the item to be relisted. Normally, they reuse the pictures, description and title from the original listing. So, when you see the item is relisted, you can buy it and give them the freight forwarder shipping address, and they will forward it to you.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Not a meer. An older Peterson pipe. Not a restricted item but because tobacco is, it's clear this pipe got caught up in a misunderstanding of what is and isn't forbidden. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I should clarify that the pipe was shipped via eBay Global Shipping, but is hung up at a UK hub. 

I have received three separate messages in the following order: 1. "Delivered," 2. "Arriving Nov. 16th" and 3. "Restricted item/Undeliverable ." 

Tobacco is a restricted shipping item. Tobacco pipes are not. Which is why I'm confused about the message.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@freestate wrote:

I should clarify that the pipe was shipped via eBay Global Shipping, but is hung up at a UK hub. 

I have received three separate messages in the following order: 1. "Delivered," 2. "Arriving Nov. 16th" and 3. "Restricted item/Undeliverable ." 

Tobacco is a restricted shipping item. Tobacco pipes are not. Which is why I'm confused about the message.

OK, that additional information doesn't change my answer.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Simply file " Item not received"  and you will get refunded by ebay. You don' t need to call anybody. Then you can try to find another auction/listing. If you find one. you can let the seller know that you would buy it, if they deleted any references to tobacco in the listing and especially in the customs declaration (e.g. old antique pipe)

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@martin2001 wrote:

Simply file " Item not received"  and you will get refunded by ebay. You don' t need to call anybody. Then you can try to find another auction/listing. If you find one. you can let the seller know that you would buy it, if they deleted any references to tobacco in the listing and especially in the customs declaration (e.g. old antique pipe)

If it's being shipped through Ebay International, there's no need to open an INR, the buyer will be refunded from Ebay.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks, all for the replies. My concern wasn't with being refunded, however. My concern was that the item in question has incorrectly been flagged as restricted. I still want the item and there is no arbitration process that I can find. There is no way for me to explain that a mistake has been made.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@freestate wrote:

Thanks, all for the replies. My concern wasn't with being refunded, however. My concern was that the item in question has incorrectly been flagged as restricted. I still want the item and there is no arbitration process that I can find. There is no way for me to explain that a mistake has been made.

Yes, that is correct, as I explained in my earlier answer. I'm sorry that you don't like the answer, but there is no arbitration procedure available to you in this situation.

Sometimes the reasons for a restriction are not obvious. Some species of wood are restricted, so some items that are made of wood get restricted because they are (or might be) made of that species, even if it is not clear that they are (or are not). By mentioning that, I am not encouraging a debate about the material your item is made of, but just trying to illustrate other possibilities. eBay is not open to debating this issue.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply