cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Scammed on return

I bought an abu garcia reel that was stated in pristine condition. It arrived and when disassembled there were parts broken and warped. I bought replacement parts and sent pics of broken pieces to seller with price of replacements. He offered me half, I said no. EBay "sides with me" and told me to return it, but I'll only get original price sold for, not including repair parts cost. So I have to swallow the cost of parts and keep it ( which I will), or send it back and still eat the cost of the part, and he basically gets a new reel. What I'll prolly hear is I shouldn't have got the the parts before resolving the issue, which is true, but when a seller say "pristine like new" condition I took them at their word, as I had a fishing trip coming up with family and needed the extra reels. I guess i learn my lesson, buy local or from a trusted company.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Well, since you've altered the item you really can't return it now. So you'll need to keep the reel and pay for the replacement parts yourself. I don't see any scam here at all other than the item wasn't as described; but then you decided to fix it. You really should have accepted half the money back from the seller.  You also need to vet your sellers better. You've left 21 negs/neutrals from 103 feedback you left.

From ebay's Money Back Guarantee:

When an item is returned to the seller

• The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Truly though, had you purchased the same reel new at a store and opened it up and noticed it was damaged on the interior you would have returned it, right? Rather than tried to fix it yourself?  So why would you do something different simply because you purchased it on eBay?

And even a brand new item, coming from a regular store, can and have had flaws.  If I need an item asap, I go to a store, where I can inspect/hold the item I'm buying.  That might have been a better option initially.

But honestly, unless you have good reason to believe your seller was intentionally trying to scam you, I wouldn't naturally assume that.  Esp since they offered you 50% of your purchase price back, without returning the reel, right?  A real store wouldn't give you 1/2 your price back, AND let you keep the item.  To me, that shows genuine remorse, and an honest attempt to appease you in spite of the alterations you made.  JMO 🙂

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@edwaric wrote:

... I had a fishing trip coming up with family and needed the extra reels....

Your problem, not the sellers. Return for refund or keep the item with the new parts. (Really, you really can't return it because you "fixed" it. Once you repaired it, you own it.) You should have taken the partial, now you have a rebuilt reel.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply