cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free shipping vs paid By seller

I am in my first month should I do free shipping. Most of my items are phone case dvds lego screen protection and toys.  I am not sure. If should do free shipping or not.  Thank you for. Ur feedback

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@ke-745494 wrote:

I am in my first month should I do free shipping. Most of my items are phone case dvds lego screen protection and toys.  I am not sure. If should do free shipping or not.  Thank you for. Ur feedback

The answer to that will vary. Some say buyers like to know what they are paying for shipping, and that the seller should use calculated shipping.

Others (and eBay) will say that buyers like "free shipping". We all know there is no such thing.

I sell mostly things that will go USPS 1st Class.  I add an average shipping cost to the asking price of the item, and d "free shipping".

Items not 1st Class that are not shipped "flat rate" I do calculated shipping.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@ke-745494 

Also to add to what I already posted.

If you use calculated shipping with your 1st Class items there will be issues with the shipping of items over 13 ounces unless you choose the option to "pass along the online savings to the buyer".

When you do not choose that, the eBay calculated system is set up to charge "retail" shipping costs. The problem there is that over 13 ounces the charges shown to the potential buyer will be "Priority" rates as the "retail cut off point is 13 ounces rather than the "online" 16 ounce (displays on label as 15.9) cut off.

My understanding is that choosing to "pass along the savings" is an "all or none" choice, and not something that you can do on a listing, by listing basis.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for ur help  i did first class which is most my items and some.are media mail. I sold phone case and the shipping was around 3. 74 to send ro pr most.time.the shipping cost.are under $5  i did free shipping and lost.money. i learned lot.but i still need grow and i want do.more.sales 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@ke-745494 wrote:

Thanks for ur help  i did first class which is most my items and some.are media mail. I sold phone case and the shipping was around 3. 74 to send ro pr most.time.the shipping cost.are under $5  i did free shipping and lost.money. i learned lot.but i still need grow and i want do.more.sales 

That's  the thing. Some low cost items an not go free shipping , and make any money.

I don't do much of anything under $9.95 with "free ship". 

I have some low price items that I sell where a buyer may want 2. There I do a small flat rate charge on the 1st item with no additional cost for the 2nd.

Those items I only have about 25 cents into, so no losses there. Not much money made, but it keeps the total # of sales up. I don't base my time expended on min. wage, as if I was not doing this, I might be doing nothing.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I got this lego set for 30 it sals around 80 to 100 i seen people do free shipping but i am like i think cost to ship will be too high. I am still grinding i got my started store i learned lot  so far but i want grow more. I enjoy doing the Ebay thing. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote: ... If you use calculated shipping with your 1st Class items there will be issues with the shipping of items over 13 ounces unless you choose the option to "pass along the online savings to the buyer".....

My understanding is that choosing to "pass along the savings" is an "all or none" choice, and not something that you can do on a listing, by listing basis.

Yes, the option to charge buyers the online postage rates is set up  in a seller's site preferences, so it would apply to all of their listings.

However, there is a simple workaround: Set the weight of your package to 13 ounces, even if it's higher (but not over 15.99 ounces). Current pricing for First Class package postage is in 4-ounce increments, so the postage cost for a 13-ounce package is the same as for 15.99 ounces.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

If an item is too heavy for First Class and will fit well within one of the Priority Flat Rate mailers it's easy enough to roll the cost of that mailer into the listing or starting price of the item and use Free Shipping. 

But there are cases where I pick u a package at work (USPS) and it's a LFRB gut only a pound or two. This is not a benefit  for you or your buyer. It would have cost less Postage if shipped Priority in a plain brown box. 

As a new seller you need a few things.

#1 always is a good postage scale and a set of calibration weights to check it with from time to time. Both can be gotten here on eBay.

#2 is a zone chart for your "ships from" zip code, this can be pulled up and printed at: https://postcalc.usps.com/DomesticZoneChart

#3 a good working knowledge of what is available  in terms of shipping methods.

1. First Class covers items under 13 ounces if buying postage at the Post Office window, 15.9 ounces if you print your own postage on-line.

2. Media Mail, know what is and is not allowed.

3. Retail ground/Parcel Select is not a money saver unless the item is over 1 cubic foot and/or heavy. But there are items that can not go via air, know what these are.

4. PRIORITY, This has the most variety and therefore most confusion. Zoned you will need that chart at #2 remember to consider dimensional weight for packages over 1 cubic foot. Flat Rate, this requires the use of the provided and marked Flat Rate Mailers. Regional Rate also requires specially marked boxes, RR'A' ships at the 2# rate (max 15#) and RR'B' ships at around the #5 rate (max 20#). Cubic Foot pricing is complicated. You will need to do some measuring. It goes in increments UP TO BUT NOT OVER .01, .02, .03, .04, .05 cubic foot, and maxes out at 20# . What is good with the Cu/Ft pricing is that you can use any non Flat Rate or Reg Rate box or your own plain brown boxes. here is the chart

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@lja440 

Your cubic rate pricing by chart example is  dated 2017.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Sorry about that. My internet is running so slow today. I was bidding on something and had to get back to it and as soon as the picture came up I grabbed the cut and paste. 

See the source image

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

No biggie  for me, "stuff  happens" but some one  just might run with the first  rate chart they  saw and  wouldn't be happy with the results. 

A phrase form a '66 song by Simon & Garfunkel  "slow down you move to fast, you gotta make the morning last..."  

Long ago I vowed to never ship anything in a box that was greater than 1 cu.ft.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Thank u
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I been going to post office to pay for my shipping. I wanted know is buying the shipping label through eBay cheaper.  I am. Going to. Be buying. Scale this week. I love all feedback I got. It means lot to me

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@ke-745494 wrote:

I been going to post office to pay for my shipping. I wanted know is buying the shipping label through eBay cheaper.  I am. Going to. Be buying. Scale this week. I love all feedback I got. It means lot to me

Yes .  You will receive  USPS Commercial Rate vs full Retail at the counter plus for  your item that weigh under 1 lbs meaning 15.9 ounce  or less you will get a discount for First Class Package shipment w/ tracking - a real good deal- but no insurance is include - you have to pay extra and eBay insurance (ShipCover) is less that  USPS insurance..  At the PO counter you will pay  full retail up to 13 ounces.  Here is a link to ShipCover

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipcover/shipping-insurance?id=4643&st=12&pos=1&query=Shipping%20...

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

PS:  Buy a  decent digital  scale that weighs a bit more than what you expect to ship.  Our scale weigh  up to 10 lbs.  The heaviest package we every  shipped out of 1530 packages was 8 lbs and a few ounces.  There are some distant scales on eBay.  Strongly suggest you buy one that is from a US seller as you may be purchasing another one in the not so distant future.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply