cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Priority SHipping tape

I was reading old blogs last week.  It referenced that you could still get the Priority Packing tape from the PO.  I though what the heck lets see if we can still get it.  SO I called 1-800-275-8777  USPS.  I asked if we could still get the Priority shipping tape.  He responded yes and asked how many I wanted.  Ordered 6.  I thought yeah right I will never see it.

Well this afternoon the mail lady dropped off a package.  Sure enough 6 rolls of tape was in the package.IMGP5448.JPGIMGP5449.JPG

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I used to see people using it at the post office and so forth

some users claim its not really packing tape but marking tape.....only useful for denoting priority mail

others claim it smelled like burnt rubber bands.

i only use 1st class so i do not think I have really used it

I used to be really into thick tape and I thought it was like saran wrap

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

It appears to be strong tape.  will not tear by hand and it is pretty sticky.    i have Priority mail stickers to denote PM.  this is for sure packing tape.  Not as thick as 3M/duck tape but a lot nicer then the cheapo stuff you find at Dollar General

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:

It appears to be strong tape.  will not tear by hand and it is pretty sticky.    i have Priority mail stickers to denote PM.  this is for sure packing tape.  Not as thick as 3M/duck tape but a lot nicer then the cheapo stuff you find at Dollar General

Yes, our local PO has some behind the counter and they guard it carefully. The only times I've seen it in use are when they're putting a bit more reinforcing tape on someone's home-made box that's going as Priority Mail, most likely to make it more recognizable as a PM mailpiece in any hand-sorting operations when the label might not be visible.

I have a roll of those individual Priority Mail stickers that I use for the same purpose. On smaller boxes like 6"x4"x4", I use only two stickers for the sides, wrapping each round an opposite corner so it's recognizable from most any angle, plus one on the bottom (opposite the label side).

I couldn't find rolls of PM tape available in the PM supplies on the USPS website just now, but maybe they're still available on request... if you ask nicely... 😁

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

There has always been that question is it tape or a label?  I know the older stuff said label right on it.  I always found the old stuff to work great as tape.  The only possible rub is would USPS reject a claim for poor packing if you use it as tape?

I never had any one at the post office say anything about packages taped up with it.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@a_c_green  I was really amazed when I called USPS and he knew right away what I was talking about.  He read a statement to me saying it was to be used only for pm packages. If used for anything else I would be charged pm rates.

He asked me how many rolls I wanted, he didn't hesitate when I said six.  

It is not online under free supplies.  I just stumbled on a blog posting from five years ago.

Hopefully this was not a one off order.  I can go through 4 rolls of eBay tape in a weekend of packing dish sets.

I sure hope some others can get it.  Anything free helps the bottom line.

"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

USPS ime has been denying claims since the pandemic started.  I filed two in the past 19 months, both wanted to see the items etc.  I am not going to hassle my customers to take a trip to the PO when you didn't know what the possibility of covid hanging over us was.  Luckily I was able to source replacement pieces when I needed to.

The way the csr read the use statement to me and the fact that I asked for packing tape leads me to think it is tape?  Who knows...lol.....I am going to use it for my Etsy shipments.  Saves me having to purchase clear tape.  I always use pm or FedEx.

"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The funny thing is the Post Offices can't order this tape but customers can.  If you see PM tape behind the clerks counter it most likely was ordered by someone in the PO under their personal USPS login id.  I use to do the same when I was a Postmaster. It is also packaging tape and not just to be used as a label.  You can use it for either.  Free is free.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Never had much of an issue getting Express or Priority tape after it was discontinued for order on USPS.com, though the clerks at USPS knew I was a frequent shipper and it would not go to waste.

Luckily eBay allows the sale of this tape nowadays unlike years ago. I bought Priority tape because USPS only has the newer version, and the original 1997 style Priority tape was IMO the best looking and gets the most respect in terms of package treatment.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:

@a_c_green  I was really amazed when I called USPS and he knew right away what I was talking about.  He read a statement to me saying it was to be used only for pm packages. If used for anything else I would be charged pm rates.

He asked me how many rolls I wanted, he didn't hesitate when I said six.  

It is not online under free supplies.  I just stumbled on a blog posting from five years ago.

Hopefully this was not a one off order.  I can go through 4 rolls of eBay tape in a weekend of packing dish sets.

I sure hope some others can get it.  Anything free helps the bottom line.

I just ordered some, no problem.  Said I should get it in a few days. 

The statement they read to me said that the Tape could not to be used on the Free Priority Boxes/Envelopes because they are already identified as Priority Mail.  Said the tape is only to be used for non USPS boxes that are going Priority Mail.  

Funny thing, the agent said I see you have ordered the tape before.  I ordered 6 rolls about 20 years ago.  I was surprised that they still have my order on record.

Is it Tape or Labels 106A?  I say it is both.  The agent I spoke with called it Tape and even asked if I want the Priority Mail Tape or the Express Mail Tape.  It is identified on the USPS web Site as Tape.

stephenmorgan_0-1626206659803.png

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

"Said the tape is only to be used for non USPS boxes that are going Priority Mail.  "

Then why does the text in your image say, "Priority Mail tape you need for the six boxes that come in the kit"?

Way back when the original tape could easily be ordered online, everybody called it tape but its official name was Label 106.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

"Said the tape is only to be used for non USPS boxes that are going Priority Mail.  "

Then why does the text in your image say, "Priority Mail tape you need for the six boxes that come in the kit"? 

Yep, you are exactly right.  I pointed this out to the agent and she just reread the statement and said it is abuse to use the tape on the free Priority Boxes/Envelopes.  She also pointed out that because the tape was being abused by so many people using it on the free supplies is why they took it off the USPS.Com and made it more difficult to get and easier to monitor.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

My agent just pm only.  Nothing about pm free boxes

"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Called today 3/15/24 got 2 rolls, could've gotten more. I thank you for this phone number and advise. I also got a pack of free Priority boxes. Not sure "what I need" but the tape does come in handy on "plain boxes only" so I appreciate it.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply